or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 2416

post #36226 of 124893
Yves Saint Laurent 3 piece suit; dual vent, flat front pants. Perfect condition, but no tags other than Made in France and 100% wool. Based on an itinerary found in the pocket, it's pre 1990. 17" Shoulders, 19.5" Chest, 30" Length. How'd I do?

IMG_3621.jpg

Click for more Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
IMG_3622.jpg
IMG_3624.jpg
IMG_3625.jpg
IMG_3626.jpg
post #36227 of 124893
Quote:
Originally Posted by rathebaindc View Post

Yves Saint Laurent 3 piece suit; dual vent, flat front pants. Perfect condition, but no tags other than Made in France and 100% wool. Based on an itinerary found in the pocket, it's pre 1990. 17" Shoulders, 19.5" Chest, 30" Length. How'd I do?

Yesterday I wished I was fatter, now I wish I was skinnier.  Although, is that gorge kind of low or is it just the pic?

post #36228 of 124893
Quote:
Originally Posted by workthatwedo View Post

It can be worse when they do buy.  Someone asked me to ship to UK.  I quoted USPS Express International.  Also, I provided the tagged size and the actual measurements of the item.  I felt a little bad about the price of shipping, so I threw in an extra item to be nice.  Now he is says the item doesn't fit, the shipping cost too much, and he cannot "honestly rate it as a good or positive transaction."

Can you offer that he ship it back and you will refund purchase price (not shipping)?
post #36229 of 124893
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLSI View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by workthatwedo View Post

It can be worse when they do buy.  Someone asked me to ship to UK.  I quoted USPS Express International.  Also, I provided the tagged size and the actual measurements of the item.  I felt a little bad about the price of shipping, so I threw in an extra item to be nice.  Now he is says the item doesn't fit, the shipping cost too much, and he cannot "honestly rate it as a good or positive transaction."

Can you offer that he ship it back and you will refund purchase price (not shipping)?

 

Thats what I would do..... offer to make a "one time exception" (I assume your listing states, no returns) and that you will refund the purchase price (excluding shipping) in full once the item is returned in the same condition it was shipped.

post #36230 of 124893
Quote:
Originally Posted by workthatwedo View Post

Yesterday I wished I was fatter, now I wish I was skinnier.  Although, is that gorge kind of low or is it just the pic?

Mostly just the pic.
post #36231 of 124893
Quote:
Originally Posted by workthatwedo View Post


Yeah, still happening in fact.  If he follows through with the negative feedback, I will see what they can do for me. 

For next time: I have a terms and conditions section on all of my listings (actually now it is a link to a terms and conditions page in my store). If you haven't already you should come up with one. Mine is always changing, mostly adding stuff because of idiot buyers. I have a point in my returns section that any return for an item which does not fit is subject to a 10% restocking fee, since all the measurements are provided in the listings. Return shipping is on the buyers dime, too.

post #36232 of 124893
Quote:
Originally Posted by rathebaindc View Post

Yves Saint Laurent 3 piece suit....How'd I do?

I would have passed on this, but if you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

EDIT: Here's some YSL knowledge Klobber shared a while back. My main concern with that suit, regardless of whether it was from a diffusion line or not, is how low the label notch seems to be. Then again, it's hard to tell if it just looks that way on the hanger.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobber View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tah View Post

Left: some fake? YSL (made in Malaysia) shirts

Nope, YSL in 80's and much of 90's had their cheaper diffusion lines (i.e. Pour Homme) that were routinely available in lower end stores like Macys and Dillards. If you check fabric tag, my bet says a 60/40 cotton polyester mix. YSL Rive Gauche was only line that was good (and some of their tailored stuff on the Pour Homme line was fairly OK). The Rive Gauche line dissapeared about 3 or 4 years ago, now it is just Yves Saint Laurent and it is high(ish) end. Pour Homme line of clothing vanished around late 90's early 00's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobber View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tah View Post

Yeah exactly what I saw on the fabric tag and the tag said just Yves Saint Laurent

Yeah, older shirt 80's - 90's that appeared in lower end stores. Rive Gauche stuff by YSL is well worth a pickup, and any modern Yves Saint Laurent tag with white background and black lettering. Chances of picking this up in a thrift store are slim, but I do occasionally run into Tom Ford era YSL. I have found 3 pieces in last 6 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobber View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

Mind taking a few min and tossing up pictures of the labels that I should be looking for? Thanks a bunch. I'm actually working on a "label book" but it's a slow project with all the pictures and measurements I need to get taken of my thrifted items for sale/trade.

Certainly

New YSL and YSL Rive Gauche = excellent. (You can tell older Rive Gauche from newer. Older Rive Gauche 80's to 90's just said Rive Gauche no Yves Saint Laurent written above it)
Pour Homme = use good judgement. Some made in Italy pieces were good (overcoats, sport coats, Dress Pants etc), shirts etc sucked.

Current tag
353

YSL Rive Gauche Tag late 90's - 2006/7
369

YSL Pour Homme Tag 1990's
233

Edited by ChetB - 5/20/12 at 3:59pm
post #36233 of 124893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

 

Thats what I would do..... offer to make a "one time exception" (I assume your listing states, no returns) and that you will refund the purchase price (excluding shipping) in full once the item is returned in the same condition it was shipped.


Thanks for the advice.  The hilarious part is that the shipping was about 3 times more than the item.  I wasn't that keen on shipping internationally and I wanted to cover myself with tracking so I went with Express.  We even went back and forth a few times noting that was expensive but the only option I would go with.  I will offer up the refund less shipping but I doubt it will appease them.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

For next time: I have a terms and conditions section on all of my listings (actually now it is a link to a terms and conditions page in my store). If you haven't already you should come up with one. Mine is always changing, mostly adding stuff because of idiot buyers. I have a point in my returns section that any return for an item which does not fit is subject to a 10% restocking fee, since all the measurements are provided in the listings. Return shipping is on the buyers dime, too.

 

I am definitely going to have to flesh out some terms and conditions or bail on this hobby.

post #36234 of 124893
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJ View Post

People that ask questions don't buy.
When I sell stuff, it's like.. wait what I have a PayPal payment? Sweet colgate.gif Ship. Boom done.
I've found this to be true on SF, eBay, Craigslist, GunBroker, garage sale, what have you, etc.

Generally, I think that's true, but not always. I'm with Concealed: If I haven't provided the answer to a reasonable question--I sometimes leave out sleeve lengths on coats because they're largely irrelevant, the alteration being so easy and cheap--I'll happily answer. But when someone asks for sole measurements, that's a Not Serious Buyer neon sign.
post #36235 of 124893
[Accidentally posted.]
post #36236 of 124893
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutpug View Post

Generally, I think that's true, but not always. I'm with Concealed: If I haven't provided the answer to a reasonable question--I sometimes leave out sleeve lengths on coats because they're largely irrelevant, the alteration being so easy and cheap--I'll happily answer. But when someone asks for sole measurements, that's a Not Serious Buyer neon sign.

I agree with this sentiment, but I suppose I'm in the minority. I do very small volume, selling items here and there, so I rarely have more than 5 or 10 items listed at once and it's therefore easier to keep up with questions. I doubt someone's serious intention when they ask such questions or when they ask something that is already clearly listed, but I still answer. If there is a 1% chance that I'll keep their interest in the item and they make1 bid to up the price, it was worth the time.

Also, I watch a lot of auctions with the intention of buying. When I see an item listed that I might want but lacks important information, I'll send a message to the buyer and not add it to my watch list. If I get no response, I assume I saved myself the time, trouble and money of buying something that isn't what I wanted. If they get back to me, then I'll check it out again.

^That was a long-winded response that basically says "I answer stupid questions in the hope that they will buy."
post #36237 of 124893
Quote:
Originally Posted by concealed View Post

Grabbed the Italian made Polo trousers from those bastards in Westport for $3, then hit Shake Shack over there for lunch, yum yum

They had 2 shirts Etro/Canali in my size and mint, but were asking $35 each ffffuuuu.gif  this is at a Goodwill mind you

I was there yesterday and I have to agree. They had very normal stuff (polo, BB, etc) for $15-35 and then I found Incotex Cinqutasche jeans for $5.99. They know the value of some brands, overvalue some brands (like Pink), and then just miss some good stuff. I don't know how folks who truly need low prices shop there. The GW in Monroe has better prices, but much more dreck to sort through.
post #36238 of 124893
I always ask questions to determine how well the item will fit... shog[1].gif

...and actually prefer to answer questions so I know I'm not mailing something that will only cause anger, frustration, or result in a return or bad feedback.
peepwall[1].gif


*pics of oatmeal creampie haul forthcoming. some still available if anyone wants to swing by. pick-up only!
post #36239 of 124893
Got a Faconnable, sport coat made in Canada. Most likely by retailers Holt Renfrew or Harry Rosen.
Tagged 40 R
Double vented, fully lined.


Not sure of age, can anyone help ID ?
Its a white tag Faconnable...

467

263

467
post #36240 of 124893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

Got a Faconnable, sport coat made in Canada. Most likely by retailers Holt Renfrew or Harry Rosen.
Tagged 40 R
Double vented, fully lined.
Not sure of age, can anyone help ID ?
Its a white tag Faconnable...

 

 

Got a pic of the manufacturer's tag? Is it fully canvassed?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread