or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 2306

post #34576 of 110459
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmac7 View Post

Would you rather flip a house for a %10 return on your investment or a basketball jersey that you make 10x what you paid? Even if you do no "work" on the jersey being sold, you still dont make nearly as much as the house.....

Yes, this is absolutely true. But how often do you find used shoes that flip for $2,400? And, if it really is all about the Benjamins, yes, I would rather do the basketball jersey, or, better yet, the calfskin loafers. If I thrift ten pairs of loafers for $3 apiece and flip them for 30x, then I have risked just $30 of my money and made the same amount as acosbysweater made risking a lot more coin. Now, you can argue that I had to go to the thrift store a lot to find those loafers, which is true, but I suspect that acosbysweater had to go at least as often to find those croc loafers, unless he was extraordinarily lucky, which is possible. But, assuming he's like me and is addicted to thrifting, then we're both using the same amount of gas and time.

In the past year, or even six months, I'm quite certain that I have flipped at least ten items for 30x investment, or even more. I'm sure acosbysweater has done the same. My point isn't to begrudge his find or good fortune. My point was to put it in perspective, that small-ball tends to win more games than waiting for the DH to come up big.
post #34577 of 110459

Small ball is also boring as faruuuk, and the reason I'm wasted and/or passed out by the 4th inning, and then security has to escort me out for "inappropriate remarks."

 

Wait.  What were we talking about?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutpug View Post


Yes, this is absolutely true. But how often do you find used shoes that flip for $2,400? And, if it really is all about the Benjamins, yes, I would rather do the basketball jersey, or, better yet, the calfskin loafers. If I thrift ten pairs of loafers for $3 apiece and flip them for 30x, then I have risked just $30 of my money and made the same amount as acosbysweater made risking a lot more coin. Now, you can argue that I had to go to the thrift store a lot to find those loafers, which is true, but I suspect that acosbysweater had to go at least as often to find those croc loafers, unless he was extraordinarily lucky, which is possible. But, assuming he's like me and is addicted to thrifting, then we're both using the same amount of gas and time.
In the past year, or even six months, I'm quite certain that I have flipped at least ten items for 30x investment, or even more. I'm sure acosbysweater has done the same. My point isn't to begrudge his find or good fortune. My point was to put it in perspective, that small-ball tends to win more games than waiting for the DH to come up big.
post #34578 of 110459
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicutioner View Post

let's be real dude, if you had just cleared $900 on one auction, you'd be beside yourself, screaming "I CAN'T BELIEVE I JUST MADE $900 ON ONE ITEM, WHEN I'M NORMALLY MAKING ABOUT $10-20 PER ITEM!!! WOO HOO!!! that's 90 times my normal profit, for ONE ITEM!!!" also, if we wanna get all freakonomics, your "the only thing that matters is the percentage profit" analysis completely ignores opportunity cost.

Of course I would be ecstatic. Anyone would. But it is not 90 times anyone's normal profit--it is not possible to say what anyone makes on any one item because item costs and sale amounts fluctuate greatly. If you made $20 on an item that cost you $1, then you did better than Spoo and acosbysweater.

I'm not sure I grasp your point about opportunity cost. Let's say I have $300 to spend. Would I be better off thrifting ten widgets for $3 apiece that I can re-sell for $90 apiece, or would I be better off buying one big widget that I can resell for $3,000? Therein lies the concept of opportunity cost. If I deplete my capital on the big widget, my opportunity cost is $6,000.
post #34579 of 110459
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroFan View Post

Small ball is also boring as faruuuk, and the reason I'm wasted and/or passed out by the 4th inning, and then security has to escort me out for "inappropriate remarks."

Wait.  What were we talking about?

I think we were talking about inability to do math.
post #34580 of 110459
90 times your net profit.

normally, you're making $10 per item. he made $900 one one item. that's 90 times your net per-item profit. in order to make yourself happy, you're focusing on margin rather than net profit.

to use a dick-swinging analogy, you're bragging about the fact that you go from 0.5" flaccid to a mighty 3" saying "hey everyone, i have a 6x multiplier, which is way better than acosbysweater's 12 inch monster dong, which doesn't grow at nearly such an astonishing rate!"

re: opportunity cost: if you're happier thrifting for 3-5 weeks to make $900 than making that same amount on one item, then you don't value your time all that much.

speaking of valuing one's time: later dudes!
post #34581 of 110459
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroFan View Post


*craps on everyone's celebration*


Dude pocketed $900 tonight.  He can buy a beater car for that much...or an international flight...or a harem of high-priced call girls.

 

Does Goodwill sell call girls in your town?

Sorry, couldn't resist...
post #34582 of 110459
gallery_86316_34174_10985644984cb48aa3689d9.jpg
post #34583 of 110459
The home runs are what keep me going. The small dollar items are the things that keep the lights on until I knock something out of the park foo.gif
post #34584 of 110459
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazye View Post

I said the same thing.
I would wear the shit out of that, are you keeping?

Totally available, bro. Come at me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainy View Post

The home runs are what keep me going. The small dollar items are the things that keep the lights on until I knock something out of the park foo.gif

Knock em out the park, Rick. lol8[1].gif

(and a big +1)
post #34585 of 110459
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post


Knock em out the park, Rick. lol8[1].gif
(and a big +1)

 

 

Any Slick Rick reference is +100.

post #34586 of 110459
there's lies, damn lies, and statistics...

if i take my profit and divide it by the minimum wage... I get to pay someone how many hours to do my thrifting for me? hey it's more coverage... it's also as good a measureing stick as % or xtimes profit

We should all just be happy for them both.... "the boy done good..." we should all hope for such a week...
post #34587 of 110459
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CK View Post

Got back into town late last night. North Georgia thrifting/discount shopping was pretty good to me. Couple firsts.
Can one of you SW&D guys help me out. These are made in USA.
IMG_8659.jpgWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
IMG_8660.jpg
IMG_8661-1.jpg

Try posting them here. That guy knows his stuff and will have an answer for you.
post #34588 of 110459
Defintely not vintage since its the little E and not selvedge from your description.
It's probably from the made in USA line (not LVC, or whatever its called now)
retail is about $198.00 so you did a pretty good job
post #34589 of 110459
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicutioner View Post

90 times your net profit.

normally, you're making $10 per item. he made $900 one one item. that's 90 times your net per-item profit. in order to make yourself happy, you're focusing on margin rather than net profit.

to use a dick-swinging analogy, you're bragging about the fact that you go from 0.5" flaccid to a mighty 3" saying "hey everyone, i have a 6x multiplier, which is way better than acosbysweater's 12 inch monster dong, which doesn't grow at nearly such an astonishing rate!"
 

 

I dont get it...why are you bitching in the "bragging" thread about someone bragging. The point here is to brag and $2400 loafers are bragging. Sorry your all butt sore and jealous lol8[1].gif

 

Mexicutioner, hit the freaking nail on the head and even explained it in terms that most of you dick swingers can understand. It is not about the multiplier but about the net profit, as any one in business knows that facepalm.gif. You can be doing millions/billions a year in sales (gross), but if you run your business like crap your not going to make any money (aka GM).

 

Yes, he is not going to be able to repeat this (well Spoo might be able to, but we don't know Spoo's costs basis so you dont know what he is netting on these items), but that is not even the point. This is part of the bragging thread as it is something we all (I assume you are here for a reason which is not bitching), enjoy doing and sharing with each other. I see absolutely NO reason why you are even bringing up basic economics (which you dont really have a leg to stand on to start with if you know what your talking about), in regards to them selling a kick ass pair of rare loafers for more then 4x anyone thought they would go for.

 

spam[1].gifAbout to accept an ebay offer on this jacket, but would rather see it go to a forum member $55 shipped Brooks Brothers 100% Worsted Wool Brown Check Blazer Tagged 45R (prob fit a 46R)


Edited by Brianpore - 5/7/12 at 6:16am
post #34590 of 110459
Found a really nice messenger bag made by Gabahn in NYC. Couldn't find much about the company so it may be a vintage piece:
IMG_20120507_054946.jpg
IMG_20120507_055001.jpg
IMG_20120507_055158.jpg
IMG_20120507_055325-1.jpg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread