or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 2134

post #31996 of 114878

rotflmao.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR View Post


I'll leave you with this thought. It's is heavily rumored that Nintendo based the Falcon Punch on Bruce Springsteen's ability to annihilate haters. Been warned.
Now back to the regularly scheduled thrifting program. DM7, take us home.


 

post #31997 of 114878
Quote:
Originally Posted by tben View Post

Did I mess up by not grabbing these?...Resident art expert?

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

2012-04-16 12.47.03.jpg

2012-04-16 12.47.45.jpg

 

2012-04-16 12.47.14.jpg

2012-04-16 12.47.56.jpg

 

2012-04-16 12.48.09.jpg

 

2012-04-16 12.48.22.jpg

 


Apparently the Renouf is quite popular and there are a lot of copies: http://www.askart.com/AskART/artists/bulletin.aspx?searchtype=DISCUSS&artist=11064422

 

"The Helping Hand"
This painting used to be in the Smithsonian's Renwick Gallery in Washington DC in the 2nd floor grand gallery - a room kept similar to the original use of the building as the Corcoran's Gallery's first building in the late 19th century. But the painting belonged to the Corcoran which sold it to a private collector in the 1990s due to a cash crunch, Many in Washington miss it.

The art museum in Honfleur France has several other paintings by Renouf.

 

 

 

 

I really like the third and fourth ones, especially the third, but I have no idea what they are.

 

post #31998 of 114878
That blowup was classic frenchy crackup[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcl View Post

First chance in a while to get out. Not bad for a 5 minute stop........
Zegna green w/ blue windowpane SC, and a Brioni 70/30 wool silk blazer. Both very recent, both 46L. Two pair of Linen Zanellas ~40 and a couple of multi stripe seersucker pants. One is by Coat, which I am not familiar with. Tag looks a bit like Vestimenta.

There's a thread that says COAT for Saks is made by Boglioli. I'm not sure about that but I bought a pair of trousers at Saks and they're real nice.
post #31999 of 114878

Quote:

Originally Posted by amadar View Post


Don't know about the others, but the original of that Renouf (Boat painting) sold at auction in 1988 for about $150,000.


wow.gif

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLjon View Post


Apparently the Renouf is quite popular and there are a lot of copies: http://www.askart.com/AskART/artists/bulletin.aspx?searchtype=DISCUSS&artist=11064422

 

"The Helping Hand"
This painting used to be in the Smithsonian's Renwick Gallery in Washington DC in the 2nd floor grand gallery - a room kept similar to the original use of the building as the Corcoran's Gallery's first building in the late 19th century. But the painting belonged to the Corcoran which sold it to a private collector in the 1990s due to a cash crunch, Many in Washington miss it.

The art museum in Honfleur France has several other paintings by Renouf.

 

 

 

 

I really like the third and fourth ones, especially the third, but I have no idea what they are.

 


Yes, I read that as well. But from what I read the reproductions are quite bright on a "satin" like finish. This one is rather dull and appeared to be on some kind of canvas?(As I mentioned not an art expert). The only reason why I thought these were anything is because the one was numbered, signed, and dated on the back and one of the frames had the frame shop in Philadelphia where these paintings were framed. Framing in general isn't cheap but I know this particular store also isn't cheap.

 

Thanks guys.

 

Anymore help is appreciated!

 

post #32000 of 114878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

+1 NEED to ship to the confirmed paypal address!!!!!
 

 

Nice Haul! Just an FYI, that is about as old a Hickey Freeman as you can find. (if you were wondering the age)


Haha, not if you live in HF's home town... I've found stuff much older. 

 

post #32001 of 114878
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcl View Post

First chance in a while to get out. Not bad for a 5 minute stop........
Zegna green w/ blue windowpane SC, and a Brioni 70/30 wool silk blazer. Both very recent, both 46L. Two pair of Linen Zanellas ~40 and a couple of multi stripe seersucker pants. One is by Coat, which I am not familiar with. Tag looks a bit like Vestimenta. The other is Bullock & Jones made in Italy.
I left behind a pair of RLPL White linen pants with a bit of discoloration on the back pocket, as well as two recent Zegna suits, one 48R the other 46L. Also some crazy tomato red Zanellas. The suits were in the $40 range. Might still go get them. They were recent enough for a fairly easy $100-125 flip.
sale_001.jpg Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
sale_005.jpg
sale_003.jpg
sale_002.jpg


 

Interested in the red and blue striped if they're around a 34-36 waist

post #32002 of 114878


Figured it was not recent, it's in great shape, looks less than 5 years old. Fits me pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

 

 

Nice Haul! Just an FYI, that is about as old a Hickey Freeman as you can find. (if you were wondering the age)


aa11b8f3_CIMG2316.jpeg

 

post #32003 of 114878
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

+1 NEED to ship to the confirmed paypal address!!!!!
 

 

Nice Haul! Just an FYI, that is about as old a Hickey Freeman as you can find. (if you were wondering the age)


Haha, not if you live in HF's home town... I've found stuff much older. 

Can you send me pictures of the older jacket tags so I can add them to https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EtazSrxIDoKk9Qu4dQ6GZtBxwH0AfcXuRJgAMvuZTiU/edit?pli=1

post #32004 of 114878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

Can you send me pictures of the older jacket tags so I can add them to https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EtazSrxIDoKk9Qu4dQ6GZtBxwH0AfcXuRJgAMvuZTiU/edit?pli=1



Did not kop.... Will take pictures if I see some more

 

 

Actually, I think those 1155 collection ones you've got are older than the one here

post #32005 of 114878

I owe a much belated thank-you to lastdonb, who traded me a navy suit for a gray sport coat like a month ago. We were discussing it and he went, "You know what, I'll just send it." However, I was on an extended trip, and didn't actually get the suit until yesterday. It is quite nice and plugs a wardrobe hole perfectly for me, and lastdonb is a fine fellow to deal with.

 

Lastdonb: I hope that you like the coat as well, or that you can at least get some use (or money) out of it.

post #32006 of 114878
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutpug View Post

Most over-rated artist: Bruce Springsteen Sonic Youth or Jay-Z
Most pretentious band: REM Radiohead
Most full-of-themselves group with no real talent: U2 (Rattle & Hum to present)
Most overlooked artist with the greatest influence: Roky Erickson Gram Parsons
Best guitar god who still plays dive bars for free: Jerry Miller never heard of him
Best album by Pink Floyd: Piper At The Gates Of Dawn agreed
Engage.
post #32007 of 114878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Face View Post

 


Do not speak ill of Sonic Youth. That is blasphemy. 

post #32008 of 114878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madroaster View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLSI View Post

Tonight:
Got these beauts...
234

I passed up some of those tonight, NWT, but they don't seem to sell very well. Mistake?

Jeans are a tricky item. For denim-heads, they have to be dark (no or very few washes) selvedge. Japanese denim is good, but this embroidered and screen-printed nonsense is a huge negative; done to appeal to the rap types who jumped on the expensive denim train. Some Evisu's sell well, but these won't do anything outstanding. They are quite faded and have features that will prevent those really into denim from wanting them.

...also you have to watch out for fakes...you have to know a true selvedge edge as well as the markings used by the real manufacturers. A fake pair is worthless.
post #32009 of 114878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Face View Post

 


eminem is far more overrated than jay...yes, i went there. sans sslp and mmlp he hasn't put out shit worth listening to yet still gets crowned best ever. miss me with that shit!

post #32010 of 114878

Sooo... went to one store and ended up with a few things for me.  But that's not the story.  

 

This is:

 

Picture it... Boston... the Goodwill on Comm. Ave...  its Marathon Monday...  I see this scumbag with a duffle bag straight STEALING an armful of pinstripe pants, a couple of POW / mixed plaid suits, and EVERY pair of recent tennis shoes in the place.  When I was 100% sure that was what he was doing, I told a manager and the guy takes off running out the door and down the street.  I had 3 pinstripe suit jacket orphans in my basket when I first noticed the piece of shit.

 

Moral of the story:

 

I left behind a recent solid gray BB silver label "hand finished" suit jacket with double vents.  44 R.

I left behind a recent solid navy blue Samuelsohn suit jacket.  42 R.

I left behind an older navy pinstripe BB Golden Fleece suit jacket.  46 R.

 

censored.gif

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread