or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 2125

post #31861 of 124767
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post


I can yeah. They aren't cheap though.. hence the lack of them in my house right now.


But if the only 40 was a 40S they wouldn't fit you, right?

post #31862 of 124767
I was granted leave for the day with regard to family matters and decided to take my (weak) thrift game on the road. Some might be skeptical of thrifting in Detroit, MI. They say that the town is economically depressed post-apocalyptic hellscape and that people who are surviving on raccoon carcasses are unlikely to be donating high end Italian menswear to their local thrift store. But I know there is money in places up there, and those people must donate decent clothing occasionally. Well, today I went to find out. And I discovered that there isn't shit in Detroit-area thrift stores. Literally nothing worthwhile. I hit high end and low end areas and came up empty.

I had a little better luck at Off 5th and Last Call, picking up some staple shirts and pants for decent prices. Thought I hit a home run at Nordstrom Rack when I found a pair of Sperry desert boots in my size for half what I was going to pay to buy them on zappos last week. Then I saw the checkout line, which literally had at least seventy-five people waiting to go through two cashiers ringing people up. I briefly considered just running out the door while throwing a wad of bills at the sales associate, but instead I just left them behind. baldy[1].gif
post #31863 of 124767
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post



But if the only 40 was a 40S they wouldn't fit you, right?

You assume I was looking for me lol8[1].gif
post #31864 of 124767
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

This reminds me - do any of you guys find vintage (70s + 80s) concert/tour/band shirts? If you do, Id be interested in any size.

Hah! Spoo looking to branch out eh? Definately can be a money maker...I have quite a few that I'm saving for a rainy day when I need some retirement money. Ok...maybe not quite retirement money, but some decent change.

And, Spoo, had fun going thru your photobucket album...appreciate the good photography!


D.
post #31865 of 124767
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Somewhere in NY, NJ, or CT devil.gif

I once proxied couple of outdated Armani suits for someone from Burlington Coat Factory. 300 bucks a piece, the guy saw them, did not buy for whatever reason and got me to do it later Was a terrible store otherwise. Just saying.
post #31866 of 124767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post

Hah! Spoo looking to branch out eh? Definately can be a money maker...I have quite a few that I'm saving for a rainy day when I need some retirement money. Ok...maybe not quite retirement money, but some decent change.
And, Spoo, had fun going thru your photobucket album...appreciate the good photography!
D.

Well, more like go back to my roots. I started flipping concert shirts eons ago before menswear and luxury. I had someone from 10 years ago get back in touch looking for some, but all my contacts are long gone. I happen to also love them for house/weekend stuff. I still regret selling my 77 Zeppelin tour shirt and my 81 Stones dragon ones.

And, thanks for looking at my pictures!
post #31867 of 124767
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

but it WAS a ..... ??? my gosh where are there stores such as this? Not around here that's for sure! happy.gif

Somewhere in NY, NJ, or CT devil.gif


What are you doing in dirty jerz?? Dont tease me like that lol8[1].gif

post #31868 of 124767
I still have my Winger t-shirt icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I actually bought a couple of the Beatles shirts they had at Target...for $11 they've been great shirts.
post #31869 of 124767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

What are you doing in dirty jerz?? Dont tease me like that lol8%5B1%5D.gif

When I forget to bring my tax exempt forms to NY, I go to NJ. True story lol8[1].gif
post #31870 of 124767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

This reminds me - do any of you guys find vintage (70s + 80s) concert/tour/band shirts? If you do, Id be interested in any size.

Hah! Spoo looking to branch out eh? Definately can be a money maker...I have quite a few that I'm saving for a rainy day when I need some retirement money. Ok...maybe not quite retirement money, but some decent change.




Tell me about it. I used to have a Jethro Tull American Tour 1977 t-shirt. Loved it and wore it till it was threadbare. The design/print was really hard to find as I looked on eBay for about 2 years before I found one just like it but in red (mine was black). Went for $200! Ugh.
post #31871 of 124767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post

Scorpions is a bit too new for my knowledge, but that Blind Faith LP is worth some bread if it's an original pressing. Naked girl on the front playing with a toy airplane, right? That's the banned cover. Thing is, they've since reissued this album with the controversial cover for collector purposes. I would definitely go back and grab it if it was at a thrift price. Even if it's not an original pressing, it's a damn good album.

Gah! It is. It's old, but in good condition... So when you say some bread , you mean... (I just kept thinking, This is the lovely place that arrested people for renting The Tin Drum on VHS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

I still regret selling my 77 Zeppelin tour shirt and my 81 Stones dragon ones.

Ooh, I've got one of these. Black raglan sleeves, right? Super soft and vintage-y? My uncle gave me one in the late 80's, early 90's, I think. I wore it all through high school. (I believe it's wrapped-up in attic, right by The Dark Knight Returns, which was supposed to be worth a billion dollars by now). facepalm.gif

I'd like to find some old Guns N Roses T-shirts and give them to women who look good in leather. inlove.gif
post #31872 of 124767
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobizor View Post

Ooh, I've got one of these. Black raglan sleeves, right? Super soft and vintage-y? My uncle gave me one in the late 80's, early 90's, I think. I wore it all through high school. (I believe wrapped-up in attic, right by The Dark Knight Returns, which was supposed to be worth a billion dollars by now). facepalm.gif
I'd like to find some old Guns N Roses T-shirts and give them to women who look good in leather. inlove.gif

Great idea icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

My personal grails are vintage reggae shirts, Bob Marley and Jimmy Cliff. If anyone sees those please tell me. I had one from the Stooges and one from Alice Cooper that were so amazing.
post #31873 of 124767
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

. I still regret selling my 77 Zeppelin tour shirt and my 81 Stones dragon ones.
And, thanks for looking at my pictures!

this depresses me greatly. id sell my soul for a 70s zepp shirt.
post #31874 of 124767
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post

this depresses me greatly. id sell my soul for a 70s zepp shirt.

Where were you when I got only $80 for it on eBay? laugh.gif
post #31875 of 124767
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobizor View Post

Gah! It is. It's old, but in good condition... So when you say some bread , you mean... (I just kept thinking, This is the lovely place that arrested people for renting The Tin Drum on VHS).

If it was on the Atco label, it was an orig. pressing. These are very valuable and quite rare as they were pulled from the shelves very quickly. Nobody will give you any hassle. The thing is 40+ years old and has serious collector value.

http://www.popsike.com/BLIND-FAITHMINT-ORIG70-ATCO-LPPHALLUS-COVERwINSERT/130231299685.html
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread