or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 2031

post #30451 of 125252
First, holy HELL Andro: And EasyE: That's a lot of (awesome) shoes! Welcome, friend, especially since you're my size!

And Achilles:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles_ View Post

I am the only one who doesn't mind ventless? I think it looks better on me actually...
That being said, double vented is still king and sells for more (obviously)

I've got some STUFF for you!
post #30452 of 125252
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post

Is the Coach portfolio available? It would go with my vintage Coach messenger bag smile.gif

Yes. I already promised someone else pictures, so I can send those to you as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastdonb View Post

Wow, that is really nice, Camel hair overcoat. Unfortunately, not a lot of opportunities to wear that in Arizona. Is it available?

No opportunity to wear... this thing definitely weighs around 5lb, it's crazy. It is available, but your location shows Arizona too biggrin.gif

Anything that I didn't label as mine is available. I'm surprised that HF coat didn't get more love, I really like the pattern but no tailor in the world could make that work.
post #30453 of 125252

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWGP View Post

There is far too much focus on flippability-only these days - what used to be a casual "hey, how does my Ebay listing look" has turned into "design my Ebay photos / description / policies for me" in the thread and... no offense to anyone but it does get old.
There is a difference between making an income on this - hence "you couldn't care less about" stuff - and doing it for fun / hobby / genuine interest. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post


Big +1.
 


+2.  Sometimes this thread feels like it is meant to be on some sort of ebay or proprietor support forum, definitely not a forum about style.  I have liked seeing the thrift-fit posts people have been doing though.

 


 

 

post #30454 of 125252
Man that's a lot of shoes, eazye! Those Florsheim plain toe bluchers that you list as patent leather look like shell to me.
post #30455 of 125252

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR View Post

I'm going to try and switch the topic of discussion of DM7. Played to death already.
Serious question: Why is it so difficult to find a decent quality solid navy blue suit in the thrift stores? When I do see solid navy suits, it's rarely anything better than JAB. Reason I find this weird is that there are plenty of other quality staple suits out there (your basic pinstripes and solid grays) in the thrift stores. Maybe navy isn't as popular as I thought, compared to gray? Not really sure. Maybe it's just my area. Be interesting to get some takes on this.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroFan View Post

Totally with you on this...it's extremely weird.  I've found two navy staples in my size (and neither was *technically* a true basic staple...one was flannel, the other birdseye), and not many more in other sizes.  Then again, I have trouble finding anything in my size (grey staples as well).  Maybe navy staples are just the kinds of suits that people just wear *literally* till they're unwearable anymore and toss them since they're just so timeless.  With patterns, your mood/style sense may change over the course of years and you may get rid of an otherwise perfectly fine suit just because you don't like it anymore (I find this happening myself with some of my patterned suits).  With solid staples, this may just be less likely.  Otherwise, no idea. 

 

^^^ I've only found ONE true staple navy blue suit for myself (it was Ermenegildo Zegna mainline, 2 piece, double-vented, and brand new - it had chalk marks all over it, but was unaltered for $14.99.  I suspect that because of their versatility, the majority of high-end / quality navy blue suits end up getting worn until they fall apart or the owner dies.

post #30456 of 125252
Quote:
Originally Posted by ick578 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWGP View Post

There is far too much focus on flippability-only these days - what used to be a casual "hey, how does my Ebay listing look" has turned into "design my Ebay photos / description / policies for me" in the thread and... no offense to anyone but it does get old.

There is a difference between making an income on this - hence "you couldn't care less about" stuff - and doing it for fun / hobby / genuine interest. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post

Big +1.

 


+2.  Sometimes this thread feels like it is meant to be on some sort of ebay or proprietor support forum, definitely not a forum about style.  I have liked seeing the thrift-fit posts people have been doing though.

Agreed. I think this thread would be more pleasant to read if If we moved most of the eBay talk elsewhere.

I also think it would be cool if people would consolidate some of their brags, maybe do a round up of your very best finds every couple weeks instead of tossing up daily pics. Xenos seems to do this (though he hasn't posted lately). The finds would end up being more bragworthy and the volume would be more manageable.
post #30457 of 125252
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutpug View Post

If you want to find a really nice staple navy suit, go buy a new one, and you'll find one in just your size at GW within two weeks. That's what always happens to me, most recently with shell wingtips.

That would be my luck, too. The question becomes, does the quality of the retail suit correspond to the quality of the thrifted suit?
post #30458 of 125252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles_ View Post

I wish everyone in this thread had to read the entire thing before posting laugh.gif ...
Written like someone who started posting in the thread when the post count was still in four figures! lol8[1].gif
post #30459 of 125252
BTW...time for an update.

I left out the folks who were under 3 figure post counts. Frenchy may figure a bit higher if you take into account...you know...

Who Posted? (Click to show)
Total Posts: 30459
User Name

Posts
Nataku 2194
AlanC 759
Brianpore 652
AndroFan 611
SpooPoker 589
noobizor 491
grendel 490
TheWGP 480
Digmenow 463
jkidd41011 456
csoukoulis 440
Klobber 427
Achilles_ 401
capnwes 387
MattR 385
catside 378
83glt 363
EBTX66 351
mainy 341
davesmith 337
frenchy 328
antirabbit 321
k4lnamja 297
amerikajinda 295
tonylumpkin 288
woolnotmutton 264
Ace_Face 245
Temujin 234
Steve Smith 223
YoungAmerican 215
tben 207
ChetBakerSings 205
Xenos 197
California Dreamer 193
LooknGr8 192
cpmac7 188
tsaltzma 185
idfnl 184
horse's_ass 164
darkmatter7 162
lastdonb 151
texas_jack 150
mack11211 148
mexicutioner 147
Typhoid Jones 147
hmmurdock 146
dahl5yankees 146
SimonC 145
ATLjon 144
mikeH 141
amadar 134
cptjeff 133
vinasity 132
DocHolliday 132
Orgetorix 128
GMMcL 128
pejsek 121
valium 117
Staatsoper 117
jrd617 116
VMan 116
CasmirRadon 111
Larson McCord 111
acosbysweater 110
caseyfud 109
GHo 108
rayxlui 105
lynch_king 105
hyakku 104
Trapp 104
Nashville 102
potemkin_city_limits 102
foodguy 101
Man Of Lint 101
post #30460 of 125252
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR View Post

I'm going to try and switch the topic of discussion of DM7. Played to death already.

Serious question: Why is it so difficult to find a decent quality solid navy blue suit in the thrift stores? When I do see solid navy suits, it's rarely anything better than JAB. Reason I find this weird is that there are plenty of other quality staple suits out there (your basic pinstripes and solid grays) in the thrift stores. Maybe navy isn't as popular as I thought, compared to gray? Not really sure. Maybe it's just my area. Be interesting to get some takes on this.

I think it is probably due to the fact that most people don't wear suits so the one they have is a common catch-all suit, which would either be navy or charcoal. They keep it until it is unwearable. All the others suits they buy have trend ebbs and flows so they end up in the donation pile. Just my guess.

--

DM7 those ties are hideous! If they sell, I might lose some more faith in humanity.
post #30461 of 125252
Unexpected finds at the GW yesterday:

- Canali DB suit, 42R. Perfect fit for me, but has a small hole in the arm (about 2cm) and a couple spots and abrasions on the pants. Debating on whether to try to get it fixed or not. If someone's really interested in it, I will probably sell/trade.

- Mint condition Hickey Freeman SC. Dark grey glen plaid, Loro Piana fabric. 42L. Available

Left on the rack a Zegna navy suit. First, it was way too big plus had severe abrasion issues in the pants crotch area. I could go back and pick it up if someone was really interested.
post #30462 of 125252
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmatter7 View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
350x233px-LL-72bc69e3_DSC_0795.jpeg350x233px-LL-cae6b581_DSC_0796.jpeg

350x233px-LL-00df0bbc_DSC_0797.jpeg350x233px-LL-d78b0186_DSC_0798.jpeg

350x233px-LL-73f6f2af_DSC_0799.jpeg350x233px-LL-902b2caa_DSC_0800.jpeg

350x233px-LL-92ffaab4_DSC_0801.jpeg350x233px-LL-dcdf0f7e_DSC_0800.jpeg350x233px-LL-2b8560f4_DSC_0803.jpeg

350x233px-LL-a334f826_DSC_0804.jpeg350x233px-LL-f0014914_DSC_0805.jpeg350x233px-LL-696e8682_DSC_0806.jpeg350x233px-LL-cc59045e_DSC_0807.jpeg

350x233px-LL-81f144e7_DSC_0808.jpeg350x233px-LL-3fbf1108_DSC_0809.jpeg

You are no college kid. You are Pesjek. Come on fess!
post #30463 of 125252
I was just going to say that. He's the new Pejsek. Hell, he might even be Pejsek as that moniker mysteriously disappeared a couple years ago. He was from San Fransisco, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post

BTW...time for an update.
I left out the folks who were under 3 figure post counts. Frenchy may figure a bit higher if you take into account...you know... Who Posted? (Click to show)
Total Posts: 30459
User Name

Posts
Nataku 2194
AlanC 759
Brianpore 652
AndroFan 611
SpooPoker 589
noobizor 491
grendel 490
TheWGP 480
Digmenow 463
jkidd41011 456
csoukoulis 440
Klobber 427
Achilles_ 401
capnwes 387
MattR 385
catside 378
83glt 363
EBTX66 351
mainy 341
davesmith 337
frenchy 328
antirabbit 321
k4lnamja 297
amerikajinda 295
tonylumpkin 288
woolnotmutton 264
Ace_Face 245
Temujin 234
Steve Smith 223
YoungAmerican 215
tben 207
ChetBakerSings 205
Xenos 197
California Dreamer 193
LooknGr8 192
cpmac7 188
tsaltzma 185
idfnl 184
horse's_ass 164
darkmatter7 162
lastdonb 151
texas_jack 150
mack11211 148
mexicutioner 147
Typhoid Jones 147
hmmurdock 146
dahl5yankees 146
SimonC 145
ATLjon 144
mikeH 141
amadar 134
cptjeff 133
vinasity 132
DocHolliday 132
Orgetorix 128
GMMcL 128
pejsek 121
valium 117
Staatsoper 117
jrd617 116
VMan 116
CasmirRadon 111
Larson McCord 111
acosbysweater 110
caseyfud 109
GHo 108
rayxlui 105
lynch_king 105
hyakku 104
Trapp 104
Nashville 102
potemkin_city_limits 102
foodguy 101
Man Of Lint 101

Hmm, I'm still in the lead. alien.gif
post #30464 of 125252
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmatter7 View Post

350x233px-LL-72bc69e3_DSC_0795.jpeg350x233px-LL-cae6b581_DSC_0796.jpeg

350x233px-LL-00df0bbc_DSC_0797.jpeg350x233px-LL-d78b0186_DSC_0798.jpeg

350x233px-LL-73f6f2af_DSC_0799.jpeg350x233px-LL-902b2caa_DSC_0800.jpeg

350x233px-LL-92ffaab4_DSC_0801.jpeg350x233px-LL-dcdf0f7e_DSC_0800.jpeg350x233px-LL-2b8560f4_DSC_0803.jpeg

350x233px-LL-a334f826_DSC_0804.jpeg350x233px-LL-f0014914_DSC_0805.jpeg350x233px-LL-696e8682_DSC_0806.jpeg350x233px-LL-cc59045e_DSC_0807.jpeg

350x233px-LL-81f144e7_DSC_0808.jpeg350x233px-LL-3fbf1108_DSC_0809.jpeg

What the fuh? You found a new in box with dust bag gucci shoes at a thrift? Or was it a consignment shop?
post #30465 of 125252

Long-time lurker, first time poster...

I'd never bought anything from a thrift store in my life (no elitist). After browsing through this thread for months, I stepped into a thrift store and found some awesome stuff fo' cheap. And I can see myself going back in the future.

 

Picked these up for $20. Will be great for upcoming shorts season.

Cole Haan Wingtip Loaders (?) - Brown Suede

 

QUldh.jpg

wqsKr.jpg

yyX8h.jpg

 

Hope to be a regular contributor to this thread in the future.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread