or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 1979

post #29671 of 121299

A few small finds today. I have to do this everyday to open the door for Darkmatter7s crazy stupid awesome post.

 

 

Gieves & Hawkes Windowpane, by HF....3 broken cuff buttons...no big deal.

GH (1).JPGGH (9).JPGGH (11).JPG

 

Older HF Charcoal Glenplaid

HF (1).JPGHF (3).JPGHF (9).JPG

 

Local Tailor for Local Hanover shop, 3PC Gray Pinstripe.

Hanover 3pc (1).JPGHanover 3pc (5).JPGHanover 3pc (9).JPG

post #29672 of 121299
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post

Nice find Dig! Peal & Co is just a name now, bought by BB to rebrand other makers shoes for them. I'd guess Alfred Sargent, but I'm no expert. 

They are Church's. You can tell by:

- the imprint inside of the shoe
- the style and shape of the stitching on the sole
- the size marking on the sole
post #29673 of 121299
Brioni PS for $1

276
post #29674 of 121299
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post

Nice find Dig! Peal & Co is just a name now, bought by BB to rebrand other makers shoes for them. I'd guess Alfred Sargent, but I'm no expert. 

Also no expert, but when I looked up a pair of BB made in England shoes with this same writing I turned up some indication they were made by Church's.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Boogers View Post

They are Church's. You can tell by:
- the imprint inside of the shoe
- the style and shape of the stitching on the sole
- the size marking on the sole
Uh, what he said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post


I would compete for that title for use. I can never find 28-30" belts, even at the stores (not that I'm going to pay retail for them anyway)


fight[1].gif I'm currently wearing a Perry Ellis belt, bought at Maxx, which states emphatically (proudly?) that it's made from "MANMADE MATERIAL." Oh, did I mention it's black/brown reversible? Truly shameful.
post #29675 of 121299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Boogers View Post

They are Church's. You can tell by:
- the imprint inside of the shoe
- the style and shape of the stitching on the sole
- the size marking on the sole

+1
post #29676 of 121299
Here's what I came across the last couple of days

Hardy Amies 4-button suit (I've offered this to someone already). It's actually a forest green with a red widowpane / herringbone pattern. It really love this thing and wish it fit. If anything, it would make a great costume. Wish I had time to take better pics of it.
233
233 Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
233233233233233233
I have what I think is a pretty clever idea for fixing the one big snag, but I'm going to research it more first.

And then these two not new, but may as well be new, Band of Outsider shirts
233

And these Brooks Brothers tassle loafers
233 Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
233
I usually clean the shoes up before posting pics, but I've been short on time. Stopped by Willie's shoe repair today though and one of the guys who works there, John, hooked me up with some nails so that I could fix a spot where the last layer of heel is loose in one of them. I don't know why, but I really like cleaning up old shoes.
post #29677 of 121299
Oh yeah. I left behind a Hardy Amies 4-Button navy orphan jacket that must have been from the same owner. Not as interesting, and much harder to pull off I'm guessing. Also left a Chester Barrie overcoat. Too many holes and a big stain on the back. Too bad.
post #29678 of 121299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post


I would compete for that title for use. I can never find 28-30" belts, even at the stores (not that I'm going to pay retail for them anyway)


Couldn't you just find a larger belt and have a cobbler cut it down to size?
post #29679 of 121299

I got you guys beat: I'm currently wearing the Goodwill brand belt....not a belt found from Goodwill, but their own, Goodwill belt.  Apparently they have some sort of an agreement with some manufacturer, because every few weeks they get a huge supply of "NWT" (unbranded, but a new price tag attached to it, and clearly new) belts that they sell for $5.  They are in better condition than the other paltry belt selection I've found, so I begrudgingly pulled the trigger and bought one.  It's not...terrible.  But yeah, it's a sad state of affairs and proof positive that belts are MFing impossible to find at thrifts. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post


Also no expert, but when I looked up a pair of BB made in England shoes with this same writing I turned up some indication they were made by Church's.
EDIT:
Uh, what he said.
fight[1].gif I'm currently wearing a Perry Ellis belt, bought at Maxx, which states emphatically (proudly?) that it's made from "MANMADE MATERIAL." Oh, did I mention it's black/brown reversible? Truly shameful.


 

post #29680 of 121299
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_allen_p View Post

Here's what I came across the last couple of days
Hardy Amies 4-button suit (I've offered this to someone already). It's actually a forest green with a red widowpane / herringbone pattern. It really love this thing and wish it fit. If anything, it would make a great costume. Wish I had time to take better pics of it.
233
233

Love the Hardy Armie costume idea. Maybe a little Dr John H Watsonesque?
post #29681 of 121299

Only had a few minutes to do some damage today.  Picked these Florsheim's up thinking they would be my size, however, they are too narrow.  Not sure if they are worth a damn - but are available. cheap $ or trade. 

 

Size 11.5B

 

IMG_0993.jpg

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

IMG_0999.jpgIMG_0996.jpgIMG_0995.jpg

 

 

Stumbled across this Tumi Suit Carrier (dont know the exact title of this piece) Would anyone have any need for this? It has all of the neccessary pleasentries inside - ie. hangars

 

IMG_0990.jpgIMG_0991.jpg

post #29682 of 121299
Quote:

Needs ID!

DSC_0725.JPGDSC_0726.JPGDSC_0727.JPGDSC_0728.JPGDSC_0729.JPG


Looks like these could be Cheaney.  The made in England and 6184 last lead towards that.  Also, the nail pattern seems to be consistent but I am far from an expert.

 

post #29683 of 121299
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post

Nice find Dig! Peal & Co is just a name now, bought by BB to rebrand other makers shoes for them. I'd guess Alfred Sargent, but I'm no expert. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Boogers View Post

They are Church's. You can tell by:
- the imprint inside of the shoe
- the style and shape of the stitching on the sole
- the size marking on the sole
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post

Also no expert, but when I looked up a pair of BB made in England shoes with this same writing I turned up some indication they were made by Church's.
EDIT:
Uh, what he said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

+1
I wonder if perhaps they are Churches? Anyone? I just know that they make my foot look slender. Oh yeah. The size 42 coverts to a U.S. 8.5. I have my doubts about this though.
..
.
.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post



I only recently found my first belts... a somewhat beat up but usable walnut leather by Coach, and an unworn navy & red surcingle from Coach. They're like shoes, very rare to find any that are well made, and even more rare to find one that's not destroyed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmurdock View Post

Couldn't you just find a larger belt and have a cobbler cut it down to size?

I'll add that I haven't had much luck finding a cobbler willing to do that. On the plus side, I have been fortunate to find a large quantity and variety of leather belts in black/brass, black/silver, brown/brass etc and a goodly number of canvas surcingles and D rings in a variety of colors as well. Italian made, Italian leather and so on. I guess I found my sweet spot for thrifting?
post #29684 of 121299

Picked up some cedar shoe trees at the GW today. I looked at one of them it said Allen Edmonds on it, put it in my basket and was on my way. When I got home I noticed the other tree said Nordstrom on it, is a bigger size, AND it's also a left shoe ! facepalm.gif Dangit!  

 

IMG_8275.JPG

post #29685 of 121299
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46n2 View Post

Picked up some cedar shoe trees at the GW today. I looked at one of them it said Allen Edmonds on it, put it in my basket and was on my way. When I got home I noticed the other tree said Nordstrom on it, is a bigger size, AND it's also a left shoe ! facepalm.gif Dangit!  

 

IMG_8275.JPG


On a side note, I've often wondered why the thrifts around here charge me per shoe tree, as if I would only buy one. If they are going to do that, why don't they charge me for each individual shoe as well.
 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread