I've only been looking for a couple of weeks but have had some success in finding good items. I've found I find items in the better off commuter towns. Take a look at this link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2006/aug/25/retail.shopping. This article is from a few years ago and Id imagine the town is crammed with bargain hunters every day, and that the shops have put up the prices accordingly. Basically, if you're going to London search for charity shops near Kensington, Chelsea, Notting Hill etc. in Yell and print it out. I don't know what the prices are like in London. Probably a lot more than up north where I am. I'm a mile away from where a lot of premiership footballers / managers live and the local town has five charity shops. the only one that seems to have an inkling what items are worth is Oxfam. The prices in there are what you can "Buy it Now" for on Ebay. Have a look at the shop section of the Oxfam website and you'll see what I mean. Marie Curie, Roy Castle Cancer Research, Age Concern, Barnardoes are all good. I found a lovely Geaves and Hawkes cream dinner jacket for £6 in Age Concern next to a River Island jacket that was £15! They have no idea. But like I say, even though Oxfam are the most well known, they pick the best themselves and list it on their website. Or probably take it home...
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami,... Last post on Today at 5:51 am in Streetwear and Denim
- The Editorial thread Last post on 4/25/16 at 7:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread) Last post on 7/26/16 at 5:28am in Streetwear and Denim
- The official list of online stores Last post on 6/1/16 at 8:43am in Streetwear and Denim
- Summer sales 2016 - All the stuff that's fit to buy - codes, updates, etc... Last post on 7/1/16 at 12:12am in Streetwear and Denim
The Styleforum Holiday sales guide - 2015
Last edited: 12/26/15
- Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales ListLast edited: 12/1/15
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 1908post #28607 of 1387283/13/12 at 12:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by pnutpug
Actually, I just shipped a Brioni sport coat with a small hole on a sleeve (which I missed in my excitement of scoring Brioni for five bucks) to my guy who sells the stuff I find for a split--I don't have the patience to take the pictures and deal with buyers/flakes. If you're truly interested, let me know and I can put you in touch with the man who has the goods, and we can make something work for all three of us.
I'm going to say that, judging from responses from folks with more experience flipping than myself, I was mistaken. If there are really folks out there who'd pay $100-plus for an orphan with an obvious hole, then someone should fill the need.
For holes on the cuff, the solution is obvious:post #28608 of 1387283/13/12 at 1:05pmQuote:
...or send them to Nataku.Quote:Quote:
This.post #28609 of 1387283/13/12 at 1:07pmpost #28610 of 1387283/13/12 at 1:19pmQuote:
Because of the quality, or because of the prices? I've heard it's pricier over there.post #28611 of 1387283/13/12 at 1:21pmpost #28612 of 1387283/13/12 at 1:37pmWhole lotta nothing for me today. I talked myself into getting this Missoni shirt. Thick cotton, MOP buttons, dbl barrel cuffs (tagged 17/43).
43R Southwick pinstriped charcoal suit (I remember the reviews of this brand being lukewarm).
dbl pleated zanella slacks
E zegna slacks w/a hole on the front thigh
My fallback is a nice tie or two, but even that was pretty nil. Days like today make me wanna lay off thriftin for a couple of weeks.post #28613 of 1387283/13/12 at 1:56pmQuote:
I don't know, I'm still seeing Christian Dior (Available!!!) despite the utter blasting/annihilation of it in the not so distant past.post #28614 of 1387283/13/12 at 1:57pmpost #28615 of 1387283/13/12 at 1:59pmQuote:
Thanks for the information. Couldn't find a picture of the inside of the Aldens. Figured someone will recognize the numbers inside the shoes.post #28616 of 1387283/13/12 at 2:09pmHere's a couple shots of the vintage (1959) Acquascutum I found yesterday. It's available at cost + shipping, otherwise it'll go back tomorrow. Sorry for the awful photos. I'm using the Flintstones camera today.
Deets: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Black. 4 button front. Button tabs at the cuffs. Single vented. Burgandy lining. 1/4 lined. 100% Wool. 40 R.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)post #28617 of 1387283/13/12 at 2:21pm
This pic reminds me of something I saw a couple of weeks ago: A single breasted, 3 button with a graceful 3-roll-2 jacket -- with a zipper.Quote:
Dudes, can we chill and dial it back? I don't want another "Thread-down" (though I guess it's about that time of the month) and not trying to . I've already said my peace about feeling unwelcome to post stuff that I DID say "Eff yeah!" when I saw it (otherwise, why would I buy it?) in non-elite labels. This messaging seems inconsistent with what I thought was the SF/thrift ethos of "it's about fit, style and quality; not brand." Hell, that's what Klobber's post a couple of weeks ago was about with the BR jacket. Not only that, I'm not sure the goalposts haven't moved: there are some posts in the hallowed first 200 pages that brag about things I'd be too intimidated to post now for being too passe (Tyrwhitt, Pink, and other Jermyn Street shirtmakers, e.g.). And finally: I DO think the vibrancy of this little ecosystem will be diminished if we drive too many people away. Fewer people to trade with/learn from -- who does that benefit?
I assume the beatings will commence immediately.post #28618 of 1387283/13/12 at 2:29pmQuote:
Nope, throw in trash...better yet, send to me.
post #28619 of 1387283/13/12 at 2:49pm
Passed on a Brioni orphan today. It was black, double-breasted, and only the bottom button could be buttoned. After searching the store top to bottom and finding no pants, I reluctantly put it back.
I then proceeded to try on six pairs of pants, all of which had some kind of fit problem, except for a pair by Corneliani with a blood stain on the lining.
I can't help but feel that, somewhere, a thrifting trickster god is laughing his ass off.post #28620 of 1387283/13/12 at 3:08pm
This thread is locked
- The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
- Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 46 seconds ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 1 minute ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 4 minutes ago
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 4 minutes ago
- › Gaziano Girling Deco 4 minutes ago
- › Austin Reed - All Over Red Rover 7 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 8 minutes ago
- › BNIB Salvatore Ferragamo Gino Chelsea Boot 9.5 D 8 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 10 minutes ago
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding