I've only been looking for a couple of weeks but have had some success in finding good items. I've found I find items in the better off commuter towns. Take a look at this link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2006/aug/25/retail.shopping. This article is from a few years ago and Id imagine the town is crammed with bargain hunters every day, and that the shops have put up the prices accordingly. Basically, if you're going to London search for charity shops near Kensington, Chelsea, Notting Hill etc. in Yell and print it out. I don't know what the prices are like in London. Probably a lot more than up north where I am. I'm a mile away from where a lot of premiership footballers / managers live and the local town has five charity shops. the only one that seems to have an inkling what items are worth is Oxfam. The prices in there are what you can "Buy it Now" for on Ebay. Have a look at the shop section of the Oxfam website and you'll see what I mean. Marie Curie, Roy Castle Cancer Research, Age Concern, Barnardoes are all good. I found a lovely Geaves and Hawkes cream dinner jacket for £6 in Age Concern next to a River Island jacket that was £15! They have no idea. But like I say, even though Oxfam are the most well known, they pick the best themselves and list it on their website. Or probably take it home...
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami,... Last post on 11/25/15 at 10:30pm in Streetwear and Denim
- The Editorial thread Last post on 10/12/15 at 4:40pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread) Last post on Yesterday at 10:25 am in Streetwear and Denim
- The official list of online stores Last post on 11/2/15 at 2:28am in Streetwear and Denim
- Men's clothes & shoes sizes--- Why are there so few Mediums 42R & 10.5 - 11 shoes? Last post on 10/8/15 at 11:33pm in Classic Menswear
Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
Last edited: 11/27/15
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 1908
Styleforum Top Picks
Actually, I just shipped a Brioni sport coat with a small hole on a sleeve (which I missed in my excitement of scoring Brioni for five bucks) to my guy who sells the stuff I find for a split--I don't have the patience to take the pictures and deal with buyers/flakes. If you're truly interested, let me know and I can put you in touch with the man who has the goods, and we can make something work for all three of us.
I'm going to say that, judging from responses from folks with more experience flipping than myself, I was mistaken. If there are really folks out there who'd pay $100-plus for an orphan with an obvious hole, then someone should fill the need.
For holes on the cuff, the solution is obvious:
...or send them to Nataku.
Because of the quality, or because of the prices? I've heard it's pricier over there.
43R Southwick pinstriped charcoal suit (I remember the reviews of this brand being lukewarm).
dbl pleated zanella slacks
E zegna slacks w/a hole on the front thigh
My fallback is a nice tie or two, but even that was pretty nil. Days like today make me wanna lay off thriftin for a couple of weeks.
I don't know, I'm still seeing Christian Dior (Available!!!) despite the utter blasting/annihilation of it in the not so distant past.
Thanks for the information. Couldn't find a picture of the inside of the Aldens. Figured someone will recognize the numbers inside the shoes.
Deets: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
This pic reminds me of something I saw a couple of weeks ago: A single breasted, 3 button with a graceful 3-roll-2 jacket -- with a zipper.
Dudes, can we chill and dial it back? I don't want another "Thread-down" (though I guess it's about that time of the month) and not trying to . I've already said my peace about feeling unwelcome to post stuff that I DID say "Eff yeah!" when I saw it (otherwise, why would I buy it?) in non-elite labels. This messaging seems inconsistent with what I thought was the SF/thrift ethos of "it's about fit, style and quality; not brand." Hell, that's what Klobber's post a couple of weeks ago was about with the BR jacket. Not only that, I'm not sure the goalposts haven't moved: there are some posts in the hallowed first 200 pages that brag about things I'd be too intimidated to post now for being too passe (Tyrwhitt, Pink, and other Jermyn Street shirtmakers, e.g.). And finally: I DO think the vibrancy of this little ecosystem will be diminished if we drive too many people away. Fewer people to trade with/learn from -- who does that benefit?
I assume the beatings will commence immediately.
Nope, throw in trash...better yet, send to me.
Passed on a Brioni orphan today. It was black, double-breasted, and only the bottom button could be buttoned. After searching the store top to bottom and finding no pants, I reluctantly put it back.
I then proceeded to try on six pairs of pants, all of which had some kind of fit problem, except for a pair by Corneliani with a blood stain on the lining.
I can't help but feel that, somewhere, a thrifting trickster god is laughing his ass off.
- The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
- › Wallet advice - kawatako uk bridle / ashland or j michael cordovan... 1 minute ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › Zimmerli law suit 4 minutes ago
- › Nicholas Templeman: A Bespoke Shoemaker 11 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing,... 11 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... 11 minutes ago
- › Styleforum Gives 2015 - Our annual holiday charity auctions for the... 12 minutes ago
- › Bespoke shoes - Calzoleria Riccardo Borella 17 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 23 minutes ago
- › MTO/ Bespoke shoe plans for 2015? 25 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories