or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 1897

post #28441 of 125252
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUNGELIZARD View Post

Hi, everyone. Just joined the forum today. I've got to say that two weeks ago I was unaware that brioni, aquascutum, hackett, dunhill, gieves and hawkes even existed. Then one day I came across a Paul Smith suit in a local charity shop and was so impressed that i purchased it for £8. When I looked it up on Google that was it. I went back to the charity shops with a list compiled of the most expensive suits for sale on ebay and picked up a vintage giorgio armani suit for £7.50, a double breasted aquascutum for £10, a Hugo Boss Einstein Sigma for £10, a Gieves and Hawkes dinner jacket for £6, a Chester Barrie / Saks 5th avenue jacket for £1, a luxurious Dunhill overcoat for £6, etc etc. It's unreal. The shops have no idea. Most of the customers have no idea. Actually, Oxfam does realise and prices accordingly.

I now have a room full of suits and jackets. I sit there gobstruck by the quality of the items. I purchased the Dunhill yesterday and I am amazed by it. It's wool but it hangs like silk and the stitching is just a work of art. Yesterday I also got a Brook Taverner overcoat for £4 which looks like new and a Brioni coat for £12. Which is how I ended up here. I was trying to find out the value of the Brioni. the label says "Specially tailored by Brioni for Park Lane Collection London" Is this still a Brioni or a watered down version? And any idea on a price? 350x263px-LL-991b8240_brioni.jpeg

The rule of this board is pics or it didn't happen. Welcome.
post #28442 of 125252
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CK View Post


Hit me up if any of that is a 38R and you want to pass it along...


And me if it's a 40-42 smile.gif

 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by noobizor View Post


Well, it's good to hear they actually exist. This was the second winter I earmarked some money, only to find they can't be bought online, or apparently anywhere, save NY or London.
 

Wait, what? You can buy them on eBay, or orvis.com, or several other online stores... 

post #28443 of 125252

Thanks for the welcome.

 

As a matter of interest, is what we call in the U.K. a charity shop the same as a thrift shop in the states? I've seen some bloke on "Storage Wars" has a thrift shop ...Don't mean to digress from the general discussion.

post #28444 of 125252

Went to 3 place today... Almost nothing. Looks like they're switching over to Spring stuff and there's much less in the way of suits, etc. Or maybe Henry Boogers got up and went out earlier than I did and cleared everything out.

 

All I found was this Dior tie to pay for gas money biggrin.gif (available)

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

IMG_1368.jpg

 

IMG_1369.jpg

 



 

post #28445 of 125252

Pure SEX crackup[1].gif(what am I missing here)?

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

P1330037.jpg

 

post #28446 of 125252
Got a hall pass from the family (earned the hard way) and drove 2 hours each way to pillage 7 Goodwills in Connecticut (it was Sunday, SA's closed, but this was the day I was available), including the one closest to the ESPN campus (I really just wanted to say I did that here...but I was also curious to see if there were lots of good clothes because those guys get so many outfits given to them by sponsors). More on that below.

Random ruminations:
  • one store had Air Supply greatest hits on random play. I literally could not take it anymore and fled with what I had.
  • would love to have Nataku or one of the pros go with (if you're in Boston or Hartford and have a free day, PM me, we'll do a tour) and decipher some of the unusual brands I see down there as well as give opinions on the custom taliored suits from New Haven...many diff labels for the Ivy League set...I mean, I know the Alex Cannons and J Press and Andover Shop and such...but there's even more I literally only see there. Shirts, ties, coats, mainly.
  • so many white v-neck golf sweaters. Like 10 in every store. I had a jantzen for myself but put it back, asking "WTF are you DOING?" before I put my money down.
  • despite the time change, there were 10 people waiting at the door of the first one when it opened at 9am. This thrifting stuff is getting intense, more intense than I've noticed before. I think it's a sign this news we're reading about the economic recovery is bulls#it.
  • you guys ever been to a Goodwill OUTLET? just rows of blue bins with skanky stuff in there. I'm sure there were some treasures to be rescued but not by me. You get stuff in bags and they charge you by the pound. I fled.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Here's the final lineup of finds...all in my size. No Brioni's or Vicuna or crazy wack rare stuff, but it was worth it to me. The BB shirts, btw...I get because 15-32 fits me, and they are one of the few brands that you see with this exact size (or 15-33 and not the dreaded M/15-15 1/2/32-33 mushed together size that is, in reality none of the above sizes it alleges to average) once in a while. I picked up as many today as I would in a year, typically, because these stores have it going on! Plus, I think BB stores are dumping old stock at a couple of these stores (see the pink shirt pic):

269
canali blue odd suitcoat that will pass for a blue blazer when I need it, Orvis, BB short sleeve, and a pair of Faconnables

193
Bluchers Florsheim Imperial...labeling says it happened soon before Florsheim family sold out...and can someone ID the wingtips -- Nataku??? -- O'Sullivan heels and the inside says something barely readable along the lines of "...your walk..." "Made in U.S.A." They are very solidly constructed and will clean up sweet for beaters.

176

264
Baby alpaca (the fetish continues) sweater, seemingly never-worn Land's End cords, BB wool pants.

235
Polo, BB, H-F, Bullock & Jones, Marks & Spencer

328
BB, Thrwhytt, BB

312
Robert Graham (gasp!), Eredi Pisano (Nataku, 8 years ago you posted about it...do you still feel the shirts are nice? I got it because it had French cuffs, was dry cleaned, seemed nice), BB, and a pair of Viyellas.

333
And here's a damn cautionary tale: This was mint and awesome and $8. Except you couldn't tell in the light there (but here when we get home...it's painful to look at -- can you see it in the pic?) that it was in the window at a BB store and sun bleached to hell. Will never get that $8 back, but serves me right for not being careful enough.

...and for the ESPN Goodwill. Nothing unusual except lots -- lots! -- of nice dress shirts and many pairs of big (40-ish) BB pants. And as one might expect lots of polar fleece tops with sponsors' names embroidered on them, MNF, etc. The coats and suits just sucked. Isn't Canali a big sponsor of one of the football sportscasters (or is that Dan Marino on CBS?)...was glad I went, don't know if I'll go there again, heh.
post #28447 of 125252

OK, so I found the good Marshalls Finally! Will be going back often to see how things get marked down. Ever have an "oh shit baldy[1].gif" moment when you get back from the thrift... well....

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

So that's why I didn't see any Marshalls Tag with security tag on it facepalm.gif.

 

Photobucket

Photobucket

All the pictures. Small and clickable. (Click to show)

 

I was blinded by my greatness lol8[1].gif. Didnt see this till I actually was taking the pictures. All is not lost though. Going to toss it on ebay and see how it goes for a guy with short arms or a if someone wanted the Thom Brown look!! Was really hoping this was going to be traded for something my size halfway nice or pay for a new blazer I just bought in my size. Worst case I can always return it peepwall[1].gif

 

Spot is just shy of 2" from the end of the sleeve which is 25" from the shoulder

 

 


Edited by Brianpore - 3/11/12 at 5:32pm
post #28448 of 125252

^^GASP

post #28449 of 125252

Alright, so I've been holding back a lot of stuff from you guys.  Measurements, pictures, finds altogether.  In the next few days I'm going to try to get it all up on here.  

 

It's all available.  If you want something, send me a competitive offer.  

 

I know this may be a little bit taboo, but it's the only way I can get this stuff to you guys in this thread.  When I asked about consignment, many of you asked for me to sell the stuff directly to you.  Here's your chance to have a pick at it before B&S and Ebay.

 

 

Here's less than half of my suits/sport coats.  Look for the rest in the next few days.

 

 

 

The Goods:

 

 

Ralph Lauren Blue Label Suit, 40R (Click to show)

 

 

 


DSC_0507
DSC_0508
DSC_0509

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ralph Lauren Blue Label Suit

-Jerome III

-99/1 Wool/Cashmere

-Double Vented

-Made in Italy

-Tagged 40R

 

Shoulder 19

Chest 21

Waist 19.5

Sleeve 24.5

Length 30

Extra 1.5

 

Waist 34

Inseam 29

Extra 1.5

 

 

Sartoria Saint Andrews 54 6 S Suit (Click to show)

 


DSC_0510
DSC_0511
DSC_0512

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sartoria Saint Andrews Suit

-Double Vented

-52 6 S

 

Shoulder 20

Chest 23

Waist 22

Sleeve 24

Length 30

Extra 1.5

 

 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
Chester Barrie 41S (Click to show)

 

 

DSC_0513
DSC_0514
DSC_0515

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chester Barrie 

-Double Vented

-Feels Cashmere-ish

 

Shoulder 18.5

Chest 22.5

Waist 21

Sleeve 24

Length 30

Extra 1.5

 

 

Oxxford 40R (Click to show)

 

 

 


DSC_0516
DSC_0517
DSC_0518

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Oxxford

-Single Vented

-40R

-Owentsia N2

 

Shoulder 19

Chest 21

Waist 20

Sleeve 24

Length 31

Extra 1.5

 

 

Bijan 52 (Click to show)

 

 

 

 


DSC_0520
DSC_0521
DSC_0519

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bijan

-Double Vented

-3 Button

 

Shoulder 20

Chest 22

Waist 21

Sleeve 25

Length 31

Extra 1.5

 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Brioni 41R (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

DSC_0522
DSC_0523
DSC_0524

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Brioni

-Double Vented

-Super 150s

-Lucca

-51/41R

 

Shoulder 19

Chest 21

Waist 20

Sleeve 25

Length 31

Extra 1.5

 

 

 
Brioni 38R (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

DSC_0525
DSC_0526
DSC_0527

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Brioni

-Double Vented

-3 Button

-38R

-Nomentano

 

Shoulder 18.5

Chest 20.5

Waist 19

Sleeve 24.5

Length 30

Extra 1.5

 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
Prada Milano 52R (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DSC_0528
DSC_0529
DSC_0530

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Prada Milano

-52R

-2 Button

-Double Vent

-Peak Lapel

-60/40 Mohair/Wool

 

Shoulder 18

Chest 20

Waist 19

Sleeve 25

Length 30.5

Extra 1

 

 

 

Battistoni 39L (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DSC_0531
DSC_0532
DSC_0533

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Battistoni

-150s

-Made by Castangia?

-Double Vented

-Surgeons Cuffs

-3 Button

 

Shoulder 19

Chest 21.5

Waist 20.5

Sleeve 26

Length 32

Extra 2

 

 

 

Oxxford 40L (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DSC_0534
DSC_0535
DSC_0536

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Oxxford

-Single Vented

 

Shoulder 19.5

Chest 22

Waist 20.5

Sleeve 26

Length 32.5

Extra 2

 

 

 
 
RLPL 36R (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DSC_0537
DSC_0538
DSC_0539

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

RLPL

-99/1 Wool/Cashmere

-Double Vented

-Peak Lapel

-Double Breasted

 

Shoulder 18

Chest 20

Waist 18.5

Sleeve 25.5

Length 31

Extra 2

 

 

post #28450 of 125252

British new guys unite!

 

I'm in the same boat, just with somewhat more modest hauls. Still, 2 weeks in and a RLPL coat, Hackett suit and a few decent shirts for me ain't too shabby either. 

 

It's frustrating seeing all the amazing stuff that most guys get on here and knowing that shipping costs would kill the point of trading. So if you want me to keep an eye out for stuff just say your size smile.gif. And dibs on 34-36" jackets/shirts and 30x30" trousers biggrin.gif.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUNGELIZARD View Post

Thanks for the welcome.

 

As a matter of interest, is what we call in the U.K. a charity shop the same as a thrift shop in the states? I've seen some bloke on "Storage Wars" has a thrift shop ...Don't mean to digress from the general discussion.



 

post #28451 of 125252
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooknGr8 View Post

Got a hall pass from the family (earned the hard way) and drove 2 hours each way to pillage 7 Goodwills in Connecticut (it was Sunday, SA's closed, but this was the day I was available), including the one closest to the ESPN campus (I really just wanted to say I did that here...but I was also curious to see if there were lots of good clothes because those guys get so many outfits given to them by sponsors). More on that below.
Random ruminations:
  • one store had Air Supply greatest hits on random play. I literally could not take it anymore and fled with what I had.
  • would love to have Nataku or one of the pros go with (if you're in Boston or Hartford and have a free day, PM me, we'll do a tour) and decipher some of the unusual brands I see down there as well as give opinions on the custom taliored suits from New Haven...many diff labels for the Ivy League set...I mean, I know the Alex Cannons and J Press and Andover Shop and such...but there's even more I literally only see there. Shirts, ties, coats, mainly.
  • so many white v-neck golf sweaters. Like 10 in every store. I had a jantzen for myself but put it back, asking "WTF are you DOING?" before I put my money down.
  • despite the time change, there were 10 people waiting at the door of the first one when it opened at 9am. This thrifting stuff is getting intense, more intense than I've noticed before. I think it's a sign this news we're reading about the economic recovery is bulls#it.
  • you guys ever been to a Goodwill OUTLET? just rows of blue bins with skanky stuff in there. I'm sure there were some treasures to be rescued but not by me. You get stuff in bags and they charge you by the pound. I fled.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Here's the final lineup of finds...all in my size. No Brioni's or Vicuna or crazy wack rare stuff, but it was worth it to me. The BB shirts, btw...I get because 15-32 fits me, and they are one of the few brands that you see with this exact size (or 15-33 and not the dreaded M/15-15 1/2/32-33 mushed together size that is, in reality none of the above sizes it alleges to average) once in a while. I picked up as many today as I would in a year, typically, because these stores have it going on! Plus, I think BB stores are dumping old stock at a couple of these stores (see the pink shirt pic):
269
canali blue odd suitcoat that will pass for a blue blazer when I need it, Orvis, BB short sleeve, and a pair of Faconnables
193
Bluchers Florsheim Imperial...labeling says it happened soon before Florsheim family sold out...and can someone ID the wingtips -- Nataku??? -- O'Sullivan heels and the inside says something barely readable along the lines of "...your walk..." "Made in U.S.A." They are very solidly constructed and will clean up sweet for beaters.
176
264
Baby alpaca (the fetish continues) sweater, seemingly never-worn Land's End cords, BB wool pants.
235
Polo, BB, H-F, Bullock & Jones, Marks & Spencer
328
BB, Thrwhytt, BB
312
Robert Graham (gasp!), Eredi Pisano (Nataku, 8 years ago you posted about it...do you still feel the shirts are nice? I got it because it had French cuffs, was dry cleaned, seemed nice), BB, and a pair of Viyellas.
333
And here's a damn cautionary tale: This was mint and awesome and $8. Except you couldn't tell in the light there (but here when we get home...it's painful to look at -- can you see it in the pic?) that it was in the window at a BB store and sun bleached to hell. Will never get that $8 back, but serves me right for not being careful enough.
...and for the ESPN Goodwill. Nothing unusual except lots -- lots! -- of nice dress shirts and many pairs of big (40-ish) BB pants. And as one might expect lots of polar fleece tops with sponsors' names embroidered on them, MNF, etc. The coats and suits just sucked. Isn't Canali a big sponsor of one of the football sportscasters (or is that Dan Marino on CBS?)...was glad I went, don't know if I'll go there again, heh.


The wingtips could quite possibly be Executive Imperials. They look like some of the ones I have seen in the past and I know they used to exclusively deal with O' Sullivan heels. A couple more closeups would help.

 

post #28452 of 125252
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooknGr8 View Post

Got a hall pass from the family (earned the hard way) and drove 2 hours each way to pillage 7 Goodwills in Connecticut
...

[*] despite the time change, there were 10 people waiting at the door of the first one when it opened at 9am. This thrifting stuff is getting intense, more intense than I've noticed before.

Am I missing something?
post #28453 of 125252
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmatter7 View Post

Alright, so I've been holding back a lot of stuff from you guys.  Measurements, pictures, finds altogether.  In the next few days I'm going to try to get it all up on here.  

 

It's all available.  If you want something, send me a competitive offer.  

 

I know this may be a little bit taboo, but it's the only way I can get this stuff to you guys in this thread.  When I asked about consignment, many of you asked for me to sell the stuff directly to you.  Here's your chance to have a pick at it before B&S and Ebay.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

DSC_0537
DSC_0538
DSC_0539

 

 

 

 

 

RLPL

-99/1 Wool/Cashmere

-Double Vented

-Peak Lapel

-Double Breasted

 

Shoulder 18

Chest 20

Waist 18.5

Sleeve 25.5

Length 31

Extra 2

drool.gif OMG. Really tagged 36R!? I want I want...It wont fit, It wont fit! crazy.gif
 

 

 

post #28454 of 125252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

drool.gif OMG. Really tagged 36R!? I want I want...It wont fit, It wont fit! crazy.gif
 

 

 


Actually, it's tagged a 40 or 42R, but I was guessing a more accurate size.  Go for it nod[1].gif

 

post #28455 of 125252
Just bought these AE tassel loafers for 37 bucks, what do you think?
350
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread