Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami,... Last post on Today at 9:12 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- The Editorial thread Last post on 10/12/15 at 4:40pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread) Last post on 2/6/16 at 10:19am in Streetwear and Denim
- The official list of online stores Last post on 1/30/16 at 4:40am in Streetwear and Denim
- Men's clothes & shoes sizes--- Why are there so few Mediums 42R & 10.5 - 11 shoes? Last post on 10/8/15 at 11:33pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Holiday sales guide - 2015
Last edited: 12/26/15
- Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales ListLast edited: 12/1/15
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 1794post #26896 of 1387282/23/12 at 8:16pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #26897 of 1387282/23/12 at 8:17pmpost #26898 of 1387282/23/12 at 8:18pmpost #26899 of 1387282/23/12 at 8:21pmpost #26900 of 1387282/23/12 at 8:21pmpost #26901 of 1387282/23/12 at 8:22pmQuote:Originally Posted by highlifeman
1st post, found this thread a month or so ago and read the whole thing, some great info on here. I've been trying to upgrade my wardrobe over the last few months, in my late 30's and felt like I need to start "dressing like a grown up", so to speak, and this thread has really been invaluable for doing so without breaking the bank. I know its been mentioned before, but reading the whole thread is invaluable for finding quality items at thrifts. Thanks to everyone who contributes!
Had a few decent finds last weekend, so I thought I'd share.
Great stuff, highlifeman! That Turnbull and Asser is a beauty. Looking forward to seeing more of your finds.Quote:
Funny enough, a while ago I found a couple of Yardbirds LPs at a thrift. Another guy looking through the records was a big Yardbirds fan so I let him have them. He told me about Blow Up and made me write down "Stroll On" to look up on YouTube when I got home. Just finally got around to watching it. Pretty awesome.post #26902 of 1387282/23/12 at 8:41pmQuote:Originally Posted by Nataku
Welcome aboard! Nice finds! It seems you're in a great area for thrifting if you're finding Turnbull & Asser tailored stuff as well as RLPS and Brioni. Refreshing to see a new poster/member who isn't coming here to post giant detailed photos of polyester Christian Dior ties.
Thanks, guys. Looking forward to participating on this thread.
post #26903 of 1387282/23/12 at 9:08pmQuote:Too AmJack.Originally Posted by Henry Boogers
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Quote:Writes the same way too.Originally Posted by noobizor
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)HOLY SHIT, FRENCHY, is that you?
(Good finds? Check. Argues incessantly? Check. Asian girlfriend in twenties, often quoted as *calling his name*, and for *X hours*? ding! ding! ding! )
Ha-HA! Detective n00bizor has cracked the case!
no capitalization,no space after comma,no period at the end
Yeah. Hi Frenchy. Not that I care.
Back on topic. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Found an Etro cotton linen safari jacket a while back. Funky sizing (tagged XXL but fits like 40S so I'll wear it as outerwear).
And a Polo sportcoat. 42 extra long!
Hickey Freeman sportcoat. 48R
Brioni cashmere overcoat. Sending this out to get a couple of holes rewoven since it fits quite well.
Oxxford dinner jacket. Could not find the trousers. 44L
Edited by HomerJ - 2/23/12 at 9:33pmpost #26904 of 1387282/23/12 at 9:17pmQuote:They have to be made well, also and ...no.
Quote:It's been working so far. Here's the fake Clubmasters.
I picked up the Hickey Freeman Collection sportcoat from the tailor today. I double checked and it IS canvassed! Bonus!
Size 38S.post #26905 of 1387282/23/12 at 9:22pmpost #26906 of 1387282/23/12 at 9:57pm
I received this in trade from another member, but there is really no hope of it being altered to fit me. It's an Oxxford suit in solid brown, 42T and feels like it. I'm a pretty solid 38/40R, and I humored myself thinking it would work. The only flaw is on the pants, a multi part snag which has not yet developed into a series of holes. I think a tailor could really remedy a potential problem here.
Shoulder (seam to seam): 19"
Chest (pit to pit): 22"
Sleeve (shoulder seam to end of sleeve): 24.5"
Length (bottom of collar to hem): 32"
Waist (laid flat, doubled): 33"
Cuffs: 1 1/2"
Amount to let in waist/cuffs: 1.5"//2"
I'm looking for staple color (gray, navy, black) heavy wool pants in a 31/32 to wear with a blazer or SW&D stuff in a true 38/40.post #26907 of 1387282/23/12 at 10:02pmpost #26908 of 1387282/23/12 at 10:06pmSo, the other day I thrifted a mint condition Polo OCBD (real MOP buttons) in a madras fabric. First experience with madras and wore it for the first time out today. I must say, the fabric feels incredible and breathes really well in the hot Florida weather. I will be getting more when I find them.post #26909 of 1387282/23/12 at 10:47pmQuote:Originally Posted by 330CK
So, the other day I thrifted a mint condition Polo OCBD (real MOP buttons) in a madras fabric. First experience with madras and wore it for the first time out today. I must say, the fabric feels incredible and breathes really well in the hot Florida weather. I will be getting more when I find them.
Nice find, but one nitpick: if it's madras, it's not an OCBD. That stands for "Oxford Cloth Button Down". Your shirt is not made from oxford cloth, therefore it is not an OCBD. It's simply a madras shirt with a button down collar.post #26910 of 1387282/23/12 at 10:49pm
This thread is locked
- The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
- Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › Friday Challenge for February 5th 2016 - The Green Jacket 2 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 3 minutes ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 4 minutes ago
- › Suit colors 9 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's... 13 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 14 minutes ago
- › Linjer Leather Goods -- official affiliate thread 16 minutes ago
- › Help ID the maker of this beautiful bespoke shoe? 16 minutes ago
- › Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0,... 20 minutes ago
- › How do I tell which Zegna Tux I bought? 24 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...