Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami,... Last post on Today at 9:07 am in Streetwear and Denim
- The Editorial thread Last post on 4/25/16 at 7:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread) Last post on 9/12/16 at 2:10am in Streetwear and Denim
- The official list of online stores Last post on 9/21/16 at 2:20pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Summer sales 2016 - All the stuff that's fit to buy - codes, updates, etc... Last post on 7/1/16 at 12:12am in Streetwear and Denim
The Styleforum Holiday sales guide - 2015
Last edited: 12/26/15
- Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales ListLast edited: 12/1/15
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 1744post #26146 of 1387282/16/12 at 12:55pmpost #26147 of 1387282/16/12 at 12:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by grendel
Sometimes being able to pick out the quality stuff is a pain... I found 2 very nice jackets at the thrift at lunch... One was around a 46-48 in a warm soft cashmere blend made for RT Gentry here in town... No flippability and not my size
Another was a custom bespoke suit jacket for someone around my size with pick stitched lapels, surgeon's cuffs, etc.... No pants and the arms were about 4 inches shorter than mine
I did get this jewelry armoir that was NWT though:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
*Brilliant, man!post #26148 of 1387282/16/12 at 1:25pmpost #26149 of 1387282/16/12 at 1:29pm
there's a vintage Burberry for Carroll & Co. (high end men's store in beverly hills) trench at one of my local spots, it's GORGEOUS and has a beautiful zip in wool liner. much nicer than any other burberry trench i've seen. my size too. only problem is the sleeves go up to about the middle of my forearm.post #26150 of 1387282/16/12 at 1:33pmpost #26151 of 1387282/16/12 at 1:48pmpost #26152 of 1387282/16/12 at 2:24pmpost #26153 of 1387282/16/12 at 2:39pmpost #26154 of 1387282/16/12 at 2:39pmpost #26155 of 1387282/16/12 at 3:29pmQuote:
$650 for jeans?
Finally hitting the thrifts tonight for the first time in over a weekpost #26156 of 1387282/16/12 at 4:00pmpost #26157 of 1387282/16/12 at 4:17pmOh...reminder, as I watch the coat posts add up here: Watch for those end of season dollar- and halfprice- coat sales as thrifts get bloated with them and want to clear out for the spring/summer stock. You guys will be posting some insane, jealousy-inducing finds over the next 6 weeks. Downside: THey will have to go on ice until October, hehpost #26158 of 1387282/16/12 at 4:20pmpost #26159 of 1387282/16/12 at 4:21pmpost #26160 of 1387282/16/12 at 4:33pmQuote:Originally Posted by YoungAmerican
Look: it is insanely unusual to find runway YSL or Dior in a thrift store. Of the hundreds of people who post in this thread, it's happened a couple of times. I've seen one piece of either in my life, and I've seen many pieces of Brioni, Kiton, Chester Barrie, Savile Row stuff, whatever.
What you see lots of is the licensed stuff, and the licensed stuff from the 60s through the 90s and early 2000s is crap. The only reason someone would buy it is for the brand name, thinking it was good, and buying based on name. Which is why they licensed the name, made a bunch of money, and almost ran their brands into the ground.
The odds of you spotting Dior Homme or YSL Rive Gauche in a thrift are one in a bajillion. So if you don't know the difference, it's safe to assume that if you see YSL or Dior, it's crap. Stuff from Macy's and JC Penney's in the 70s and 80s. Not something worth buying used at thrift store prices, much less bragging about.
The one Rive Gauche coat I found, which was from the Tom Ford era, was stunning. It was very, very obviously not licensed junk. It was clear. It was too small for me, but it went for a few hundred dollars on eBay.
Frankly, I think there are a lot of folks in this thread who could really up their thrifting game by focusing on identifying quality and wearability rather than reading brand labels.
So, I found a YSL Rive Gauche DB suit. It seems nice. It seems like it will fit well with some alterations. I'm still learning to identify quality and bought this not knowing anything about Rive Gauche at all. I more use labels to tell me when to leave things on the rack. So, do I have a one in a bajillion find?
This thread is locked
- The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
- Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
Currently, there are 839 Active Users (120 Members and 719 Guests)
- › Linjer Leather Goods -- official affiliate thread 34 seconds ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 10 minutes ago
- › Paying 50 bucks to who can identify this shoe 20 minutes ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 31 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 31 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 31 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 42 minutes ago
- › Orban's - Cheap, affordable European made Goodyear Welted shoes 44 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 55 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 58 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...