or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 1734

post #25996 of 125463
One person in this thread that I can remember has posted a piece of Dior Homme. I once (in my life) found a piece of non-licensed YSL.

EVERY other piece in this thread is crap. Seriously: crap. And people post something every day.

If you find something that says YSL or Dior, and you don't know the difference, it is almost certainly crap, not worth thrift store prices.
post #25997 of 125463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post


Those 28 jeans might fit (wear 28-30 depending on how much they stretch) and thanks for dibsing the boots in your own thread for me!! icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gifSent you a PM on those.

Alexandre and Nutter and D&G and a few other things we found and didn't pick up" - Why not pick up small stuff?? lurker%5B1%5D.gif

Well, jkidd did pick up the Nutter, but the D&G were some Basic jeans, didn't look to be hardly any market for them. The other stuff was all kind of "hanger-on" brands - and Alexandre may be fancy with a royal warrant or whatnot, but it's for women's tailoring, after all, and I've never had any luck moving it so I don't pick it up anymore. Shame, because I've seen perhaps half a dozen things from that brand counting that shirt.
post #25998 of 125463
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungAmerican View Post

One person in this thread that I can remember has posted a piece of Dior Homme. I once (in my life) found a piece of non-licensed YSL.
EVERY other piece in this thread is crap. Seriously: crap. And people post something every day.
If you find something that says YSL or Dior, and you don't know the difference, it is almost certainly crap, not worth thrift store prices.


Do you have any examples of unlicensed YSL? Are the labels different? How can I tell the difference?

post #25999 of 125463
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post



Do you have any examples of unlicensed YSL? Are the labels different? How can I tell the difference?

Klobber posted some pictures in this thread a couple of weeks ago.
post #26000 of 125463

picked up a box of 24 of these at an estate sale for a buck. may not be worth flipping unless there's some freaky gucci fiend out there.  i may either have to take up smoking or bust out the edible soy mood candles more often to make use of these.... yeeaa these are going to collect some dust.

 

IMG_2312.JPG

post #26001 of 125463
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWGP View Post

Also... you guys remember this coat from Bergdorf Goodman, that I found awhile back and wasn't sure what to call it?:
P1070182.JPG
In the process of taking photos for Ebay, I found this additional label... which leads me to believe it's an actual Mackintosh mackintosh? Needless to say, I didn't put it on Ebay till I could figure out more about it. Any of you guys seen anything like this before?
IMG_1102.JPG

worship2.gif  A Mackintosh in my size is definitely on my list of grail-ish finds.  Good find!  Definitely emphasize that it's a "Mackintosh for Bergdorf Goodman"  That'll get the folks looking for current Mackintosh product, which is a huge thing in menswear right now, and those looking for more under the radar in-house products.  You should see the prices on some of the most recent Mackintosh collaborations. 

 

Here's a J Crew one, which would obviously be less at retail than a 2012 Bergdorf Goodman collaboration: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/outerwear/jcrewingoodcompany/PRDOVR~98960/98960.jsp
 

 

 

post #26002 of 125463
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBakerSings View Post


Klobber posted some pictures in this thread a couple of weeks ago.


Thanks, I will do a search.

post #26003 of 125463
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWGP View Post

Well, jkidd did pick up the Nutter, but the D&G were some Basic jeans, didn't look to be hardly any market for them. The other stuff was all kind of "hanger-on" brands - and Alexandre may be fancy with a royal warrant or whatnot, but it's for women's tailoring, after all, and I've never had any luck moving it so I don't pick it up anymore. Shame, because I've seen perhaps half a dozen things from that brand counting that shirt.


Gotcha. I just get excited when I see supposedly quality brands with a word "small" next to them in this thread stirpot.gif
 

post #26004 of 125463


Like if you saw Faconnable shirt, "Small"? Or shoes, "Small"? man I gotta get around to posting my stuff up so I can regain some closet space. I suppose I'd first need a decent camera....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post


Gotcha. I just get excited when I see supposedly quality brands with a word "small" next to them in this thread stirpot.gif
 



 


Edited by mrdeep2001 - 2/15/12 at 10:36am
post #26005 of 125463

Since talk has turned to YSL, is this a good or a bad one? Made in France. 

 

6882156237_af72186067.jpg

 

 

I found this with two Armani collezoni suits (I could only find pants for one), size 38 Zanella pants, and a Hugo Boss from Barneys that looked rather nice with this label:

 

6882174477_5e17fdfb51.jpg

 

 

I think I'll have to go back tomorrow to pick more of this stuff up

post #26006 of 125463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

 

Those 28 jeans might fit (wear 28-30 depending on how much they stretch) and thanks for dibsing the boots in your own thread for me!! icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gifSent you a PM on those.

 

Alexandre and Nutter and D&G and a few other things we found and didn't pick up" - Why not pick up small stuff?? lurker%5B1%5D.gif

 

 

Okay, someone tell me about Frye. After never having heard of it before I've now seen it 4 times in the last 2 days. 

 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungAmerican View Post

One person in this thread that I can remember has posted a piece of Dior Homme. I once (in my life) found a piece of non-licensed YSL.
EVERY other piece in this thread is crap. Seriously: crap. And people post something every day.
If you find something that says YSL or Dior, and you don't know the difference, it is almost certainly crap, not worth thrift store prices.


Okay, I know the silver "Dior" tag, but what does non-licensed YSL look like? 


 

post #26007 of 125463
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLjon View Post

Since talk has turned to YSL, is this a good or a bad one? Made in France. 

Old suit, probably 1980's. If for you, then fine. If for flipping, I do not want to be the bearer of bad news.
post #26008 of 125463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Boogers View Post

If you did leave them please provide GPS coordinates. devil.gif To add to the advice above, I find that running the steamer over the hole left by the staple allows the fibers to swell, relax, or whatever the heck they do and the hole goes away. Unless it was abused you have to remember that it's not a hole, it's a disruption of the threads. You can typically get the threads to relax back to their intended position.

Yes, staples have never been a problem for me unless leather is involved. Speaking of leather, I inquired today about SA's new policy of marking the prices of shoes on inner tongues, where the ink may, or may not, come out--I was fortunate, recently, with a smooth leather tongue and fingernail polish, but now the inked prices are appearing on suede and cloth and anything else from which shoe tongues can be made. I was told that customers had complained that they couldn't get the prices off the soles, where they obviously belong.

Arghh.

Went to the administrative office (the folks in the store, I've learned, have no power) and spoke with someone who said that he would pass my concern along. Explained to him that they should either write the price on the part of the sole that is in contact with the ground and the price will disappear after five minutes of walking or, if the sole is commando style and the price has to go just in front of the heel, to just put it there and tell any customers with concerns that the price comes right off with two swipes of fine-grit sandpaper (if on leather) or a few swipes of cotton ball dipped in fingernail polish if on rubber. He said he'll pass it along, and I hope so. I've found Church's and Aldens and AE and all other sorts of great shoes there, and this is killing me.
post #26009 of 125463


Don't worry — I didn't buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobber View Post


Old suit, probably 1980's. If for you, then fine. If for flipping, I do not want to be the bearer of bad news.


 

post #26010 of 125463

You should start a thread titled: Thrift Store Bragging Thread for People with Unreasonably High Expectations.

Quote:
EVERY other piece in this thread is crap. Seriously: crap. And people post something every day.
If you find something that says YSL or Dior, and you don't know the difference, it is almost certainly crap, not worth thrift store prices.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread