Of course. Also you are helping immensely if you are shopping at GW or SA. Not to mention to my wardrobe, well not yet but eventually.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami,... Last post on Yesterday at 3:26 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- The Editorial thread Last post on 4/25/16 at 7:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread) Last post on 12/1/16 at 1:57pm in Streetwear and Denim
- The official list of online stores Last post on 9/21/16 at 2:20pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Summer sales 2016 - All the stuff that's fit to buy - codes, updates, etc... Last post on 7/1/16 at 12:12am in Streetwear and Denim
The Styleforum Holiday sales guide - 2015
Last edited: 12/26/15
- Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales ListLast edited: 12/1/15
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 1658post #24857 of 1387282/2/12 at 9:01pmQuote:Originally Posted by Shiny
In my area, I know that some undocumented immigrants buy bulk-type clothes (sight unseen) in yard sales and use crates to ship back to their native countries. Mostly to central america. I think the stuff at goodwill is too expensive for them, GW is more like the places they go to for their own personal wearing stuff. A lady who cleans my building told me this.
i think the garage sale vs GW thing is true for lots of people with low funds, not just undocumented immigrants. i grew up getting clothes at garage sales, not GW. GW was way more expensive than garage sales. now that i'm a yuppie lawyer, i can afford GW.post #24858 of 1387282/2/12 at 9:05pmQuote:
Ehh... not necessarily. Lazy people who don't want to hold their finds use carts. "Wow! Holding a shirt and tie can get heavy! So now I'm gonna leave these 2 items in a cart that'll take up the entire isle and nobody will be able to pass! (evil laugh)" .... wait a minute....post #24859 of 1387282/2/12 at 9:05pmQuote:
I honestly think I can safely say 99% of my wardrobe is thrifted/traded/bought on deep discount with the exception of the basics (t-shirts, undergarments and socks). I haven't bought something at retail other than the aforementioned in a good 6-7 or so years.post #24860 of 1387282/2/12 at 9:05pmQuote:
I use a shopping cart too, i've set my coat on a rack to try on a jacket before only to have someone snatch it up with my wallet and keys in it.post #24861 of 1387282/2/12 at 9:07pmpost #24862 of 1387282/2/12 at 9:09pmpost #24863 of 1387282/2/12 at 9:12pmQuote:
Thanks! It's all available. I'm meaning to take pictures, measurements, and post on B&S, but I have a massive headache. As soon as it goes down (late tonight, or tomorrow) I'll get some pictures up and respond to PMs!post #24864 of 1387282/2/12 at 9:31pmpost #24865 of 1387282/2/12 at 9:55pmMy brother is out of town on a business trip, and was using some free time today to thrift. He called, breathless with adrenalin: "I'm in the dressing room, it fits perfectly!" "What?" "A bespoke H Huntsman 3-piece suit!" Details: super condition, charcoal flannel, single-breasted, dated 1983. Unvented, interestingly. Also, except for a zippered interior waist band security pocket, no pockets at all on the cuffed flat-front pants.
Also, eight Turnbull & Asser shirts, FC and three button.
He promised some pictures, which I'll post.post #24866 of 1387282/2/12 at 10:03pm
Wow, awesome score!!
Quote:Originally Posted by Staatsoper
My brother is out of town on a business trip, and was using some free time today to thrift. He called, breathless with adrenalin: "I'm in the dressing room, it fits perfectly!" "What?" "A bespoke H Huntsman 3-piece suit!" Details: super condition, charcoal flannel, single-breasted, dated 1983. Unvented, interestingly. Also, except for a zippered interior waist band security pocket, no pockets at all on the cuffed flat-front pants.
Also, eight Turnbull & Asser shirts, FC and three button.
He promised some pictures, which I'll post.post #24867 of 1387282/2/12 at 10:33pmpost #24868 of 1387282/2/12 at 10:52pm
What's the rubbing alcohol for?
I'm starting to think I'm a bigtime novice shoe polisher...none of my shoes look as good as the work you guys do
Quote:Originally Posted by Everett464
These are my ten dollar AE Garners. Roughly 2 hours, 1/2 bottle of rubbing alcohol,some serious Kiwi work, and 1/5 bottle scotchy alcohol later...
As I mentioned before - I found these 1 mile away from the pair of AE Sanfords I posted last night. Both were $10. Both look amazing today.post #24869 of 1387282/2/12 at 11:49pmIt's been a bit of a drought for me lately but I did manage to find my first John Smedley sea island cotton sweater at a thrift a few days ago. It fits me perfectly, so I think I'll keep it. Stock photo of the sweater:
On another note, do we have a proxy request thread set up on SF for labels/items other users could look out for while thrifting? I say this because I really like a lot of Arnold Brant''s Made In Italy items from back in the day (particularly ties, scarves, sweaters and leather jackets - size Medium). Unfortunately Ebay doesn't have many of these available as they've been discontinued for a while.post #24870 of 1387282/3/12 at 3:11am
This thread is locked
- The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
- Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 9 seconds ago
- › Norse Projects Sigfred Roll Linen Cotton Breton Sweater. Size S/M. 41 seconds ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › Lost Worlds A-1. Size 38. 5 minutes ago
- › "What I'm Selling on eBay" - member auctions 6 minutes ago
- › Vintage Baracuta (Four Climes). Made in England. Size 38. 7 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 7 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 8 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway