or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 1521

post #22801 of 110179
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievddr10 View Post

the bidding history looks very suspect

I would argue the seller made a different account and bidded on his own auction. The sale price of that 3 piece is ridiculous to the point of absolute stupidity.
post #22802 of 110179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

usually the yellow tag is the final clearance price. they stack the red tags as it gets marked down more and more then put the "get-it-outta-here" yellow price. I've found that the markdown cycle is usually correlated w/ the number in the square box on the price tag that indicates when they got the item. the longer it's there, the more it gets marked down. sometimes not everything gets discounted consistently however. for instance if all the ties marked down are numbered 22, and you find one you like that's a 22 but not marked down, it was probably missed and if you ask, they will usually discount it for you. a couple times a year all the REALLY leftover shit gets marked down to like $3.

Also their "higher end" stuff gets a purple price tag. Generally this means that these items will be passed over for reductions as they are feeding off of brand name, etc. I find that a lot of the purple tagged stuff, especially the more expensive stuff, will sit there for a week or two after initial mark downs before it is given its due.
post #22803 of 110179
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievddr10 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBakerSings View Post

I'm also interested...though I don't think I could afford it. This vintage three-piece tweed suit went for $1725 with 54 bids the other day on eBay. Insane.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Donegal-Tweed-Brown-Windowpane-3-Pc-Shooting-Suit-40R-/170756194490

the bidding history looks very suspect


It does, but then again I've had auctions look like that (in the hundreds, not thousands $$$) with a brand new 0 feedback bidder who ended up winning and no problem transaction. Also have bought from that seller before and never had a problem, just my 2 cents.

post #22804 of 110179


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyakku View Post

Well I know some of you are going to kill me after I finish this post, but I honestly didn't have the money on my yesterday to pick everything up at this one GW after prepaying rent and bills for a few months. I swear, some Sartorial wizard must have passed on near West Hollywood. On the shirt racks of one gw it was like Christmas if a guy was a 16, 41". I passed two T&A shirts, a Canali shirt, two Zegnas, a black RL Purple Label shirt, a Loro Piana (I actually had to point this out to some guy nearby that looked about the right size because I couldn't stand to let this one sit), a Dolce and Gabanna mainline for men shirt, Borelli, Fratielli? (some Barney's Made in Italy line), a couple of Barney's other lines, and a few other quality Italian shirts. I'm sure there were probably some Brioni things hidden away there. Anyway, I've forgotten what most of the regular dudes who I hooked up measurements are, or if they are even up here, so I didn't want to risk spending what little I had giving up what I bought for myslef in hopes of flipping them, but if there's serious interest I'm planning on heading back today to check out some of their ties. I literally had to stop because the finds just slightly out of my size range were killing me. GW did have them slightly marked up, but still, $12.99 for pristine Borelli and Purple Label (someo f them still had dry cleaning tags on) are a bargain.
I did manage to pick up Ia nice Japanese button up, a J. Lindeberg button up, and Pierre Balmain button up for myself. I had to laugh because there was no tag on the Japanese shirt, and the lady marked it up at the reegister to 12.99, citing the "quality" of a random Japanese maker, but looking at the Lindeberg and Balmain shirts like they were trash.
Finally, got a question. Picked up this Navy Blue J. Lindeberg coat and I'm trying to decide if it's an orphaned SC or just a jacket. I'm pretty sure it's a jacket (hoping so as it fits perfect without tailoring and looks great). Any thoughts? Apologies for image quality:
hpicjl.jpg
nH3b4l.jpg
Ivz1Cl.jpg


I'm a 16/41 and would love some RLPL and Borelli happy.gif

 

Want to proxy?

 

post #22805 of 110179


Hey! I know that jacket. It's a little too rich for my blood, and it's also too long. Do you ever go to the Marshalls on Peachtree next to Gordon Biersch? It's drowning in good stuff too (even more so than that location). I'm also really considering that purple gingham shirt, but I probably won't pick it up.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

So I'm thinking that yellow=final markdowns. Most of the stuff that has been sitting on the racks for the past few weeks/months was marked down a bit more (from 10-30% depending on the items). I didn't see anything that exciting. They are remodeling my Marshall's to be more display-oriented. I hope this doesn't mean the end of the line for great finds. I hate organized Marshall's.
Anyway, I left:
- Finamore shirt, size 18 (white); $69
- Finamore shirt, size 15 (micro purple gingham); $69
- Brioni flannels, size 40 (light gray/tan); $99
The one that really perturbed me was a Zegna SC that has been hovering at $450 and finally dropped to $299. It's the strangest thing. Zegna label says it's a 56/46R; it's labeled from Marshall's/the other store that originally sold it as a 54/44R; it fits like a 40L. Fits my shoulders perfectly but is about an 1-1.5" too long. I just really like the pattern/fabric:
469


 

post #22806 of 110179
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post



 


I'm a 16/41 and would love some RLPL and Borelli happy.gif

Want to proxy?

Absolutely, I plan to pick them all up today anyway, pretty sure I could flip em quick up here. Seeing your sizes, this guy has given away a lot of what you are looking for (I think I saw a Givenchy, Canali and Oxxford suit all 40-42 R, two Dolce and Gabanna mainline ones were gone unfortunately. Also a pretty nice overcoat. I'll keep a lookout to see if someone hasn't bought them already.
post #22807 of 110179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post



It does, but then again I've had auctions look like that (in the hundreds, not thousands $$$) with a brand new 0 feedback bidder who ended up winning and no problem transaction. Also have bought from that seller before and never had a problem, just my 2 cents.

not to fond of the seller actually, he bought a pair of nwt tom ford pants from me for 36.00 and in feedback was complaining that there were no tags and label was hanging by a thread, i mean come on, seriously???? baldy[1].gif
post #22808 of 110179
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievddr10 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

It does, but then again I've had auctions look like that (in the hundreds, not thousands $$$) with a brand new 0 feedback bidder who ended up winning and no problem transaction. Also have bought from that seller before and never had a problem, just my 2 cents.
not to fond of the seller actually, he bought a pair of nwt tom ford pants from me for 36.00 and in feedback was complaining that there were no tags and label was hanging by a thread, i mean come on, seriously???? baldy[1].gif

Screw him then, next time sell them to me for $36 and I promise to leave nice feedback mwink[1].gif Never sold to him, just bought so can't really comment on that portion of it.

post #22809 of 110179
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyakku View Post


Absolutely, I plan to pick them all up today anyway, pretty sure I could flip em quick up here. Seeing your sizes, this guy has given away a lot of what you are looking for (I think I saw a Givenchy, Canali and Oxxford suit all 40-42 R, two Dolce and Gabanna mainline ones were gone unfortunately. Also a pretty nice overcoat. I'll keep a lookout to see if someone hasn't bought them already.


Dibs on the overcoat! lol8[1].gif

 

 

Did you check the shoes? 

 

post #22810 of 110179
what I hate are the ones who buy stuff from you, complain about sheen or issues or damages of some sort (which may or may not actually be there and were described if they were) and demand a partial refund, then turn around and resell on their store for four or five times the price BIN and claim it's NWOT... nowadays if I get a high-feedback bidder I check them out and if it looks like that I figure out a way to block them and blame it on ebay issues... I don't mind providing other people's inventories who take better photos/listings/etc than I do, but I do mind when they whine and demand a partial refund on an item that most likely sold for under 40 bucks. mad.gif

edit: and I don't have an up-front no-partial-refunds policy to deter this kind of thing because partial refunds have genuinely, honestly saved my butt a couple of times - once when I missed a moth hole and once when the buyer's measurements and mine differed (genuinely - it was a difference of opinion, measuring tapes and methods). gets me good feedback, lets me salvage breaking even, and has resulted in one recurring customer so it's been well worth it... but I realize I've just been lucky, knock on wood.
post #22811 of 110179
I believe that most J Lindeberg suits work as separates, much like theory (which is of comparable quality). Good find!
post #22812 of 110179
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWGP View Post

what I hate are the ones who buy stuff from you, complain about sheen or issues or damages of some sort (which may or may not actually be there and were described if they were) and demand a partial refund, then turn around and resell on their store for four or five times the price BIN and claim it's NWOT... nowadays if I get a high-feedback bidder I check them out and if it looks like that I figure out a way to block them and blame it on ebay issues... I don't mind providing other people's inventories who take better photos/listings/etc than I do, but I do mind when they whine and demand a partial refund on an item that most likely sold for under 40 bucks. mad.gif
edit: and I don't have an up-front no-partial-refunds policy to deter this kind of thing because partial refunds have genuinely, honestly saved my butt a couple of times - once when I missed a moth hole and once when the buyer's measurements and mine differed (genuinely - it was a difference of opinion, measuring tapes and methods). gets me good feedback, lets me salvage breaking even, and has resulted in one recurring customer so it's been well worth it... but I realize I've just been lucky, knock on wood.

+1 i was stupid enough to do an auction with bad pics and got screwed im pretty he sure he bought the pants and flipped them, so what really bothers me about him is he knows how bad feedback can ding someone since hes a high volume seller, plus he makes a nice profit off my poor photos! im pretty sure he also made some incredibly low ball offers on some of my stuff like insanely low, actually insultingly low /rant
post #22813 of 110179
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyakku View Post

Absolutely, I plan to pick them all up today anyway, pretty sure I could flip em quick up here. Seeing your sizes, this guy has given away a lot of what you are looking for (I think I saw a Givenchy, Canali and Oxxford suit all 40-42 R, two Dolce and Gabanna mainline ones were gone unfortunately. Also a pretty nice overcoat. I'll keep a lookout to see if someone hasn't bought them already.

Dibs on Givenchy if its the recent label.
post #22814 of 110179
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievddr10 View Post

so i decided not to be lazy and moseyed into my local marshalls,tjmaxx, i found a size 42 kiton tux/dinner one button peak lapel really nice jacket for $299 kiton shirt in herringbone blue for $89 3 white brioni cufflink shirts for $89 mcqueen mcq blazer for $100 then found a really nice polo blue label by corneliani size 40 navy blazer 3 button with those really nice leather buttons and patch pockets with a flap. for 189.00 then came the good stuff lol found a polo blue label by corneliani 3 piece navy pinstriped suit in a size 40 long the lapels are wide with patch pockets and flaps 99 wool 1 cashmere for $249, and the holy grail... 2 perfect cucinelli 100% cashmere lavender heavy sweaters for 75 a pop!
can i win the interwebz for today?

Jeez!! I wish they'd send some of this stuff to my locale. Nicest thing in our men's section has to be the $149 Marc New York leather jackets. baldy[1].gif
post #22815 of 110179
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

It's not navy blue, sized 40R perchance, is it?

I believe it's near navy just not deep blue navy. However, it is 52 EU (42R). Funny as this and the other CC suits are hung with the US 50s sizes. CG and this one all say btw 50-54 EU, but are not close to being "big".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread