or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 1405

post #21061 of 109422

I found a pair of Alden shell cordovan penny loafers at my usual thrift store today. The upper and stitching are in excellent condition, minus a few very minor scuffs which can be buffed out with some wax in a matter of minutes, but the heel is very very low/short. The thing is, it doesn't look worn down, it looks more like the previous owner had very short heels put on, though i have never seen that before. Anyone have any idea if this is possible?

post #21062 of 109422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post

^^^ I was shipping eBay items at the P.O. yesterday as well. A woman came in with two small children, saw the 20-person line and asked whether she could print postage for international shipping for a few packages. The clerk said she could.

But, grain of salt and all that.

You can print the postage and customs forms online(I have only done it that way). You have to go to the counter to have the clerk initial the customs forms and scan the package into the system. It's a process that usually takes me less than 2 minutes. You can also arrange for a pickup, but I have never done that.
post #21063 of 109422

Quote:

Originally Posted by datsunfan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post

^^^ I was shipping eBay items at the P.O. yesterday as well. A woman came in with two small children, saw the 20-person line and asked whether she could print postage for international shipping for a few packages. The clerk said she could.

But, grain of salt and all that.

You can print the postage and customs forms online(I have only done it that way). You have to go to the counter to have the clerk initial the customs forms and scan the package into the system. It's a process that usually takes me less than 2 minutes. You can also arrange for a pickup, but I have never done that.

+1 I print all my international labels at home and just bring them in. Easy as shipping CONUS.

post #21064 of 109422

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

Quote:

+1 I print all my international labels at home and just bring them in. Easy as shipping CONUS.


So true. After waiting in the biggest lines in the post office ever, I joined stamps.com and never looked back (sas they say!!)

post #21065 of 109422

By my newbie standards, tonight was pretty decent. I found a nice PRL tie along with a Dior tie. Left behind two other Diors as they had rather unfortunate color combinations. Found a neat tweed tie that didn't have any tags...just thought it looked cool. This stuff plus the Harris Tweed sport coat from my last excursion have kept the decent finds pretty consistent. I saw a blue Canali dress shirt but there were a couple of tiny snags in the fabric...disappointing.

post #21066 of 109422
Anyone here recognize this old tag?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
img1190v.jpg


Thanks

edit: It's a suit made in Italy if it helps, thanks again.
Edited by mco543 - 12/14/11 at 6:32pm
post #21067 of 109422

Mega haul today. Thinking about getting the suit tailored (or flipping) and still weighing keeping the shoes, even though they fit well. Loving the ties.

 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71716117@N07/sets/72157628422609561/with/6513107255/

post #21068 of 109422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles_ View Post

Nope. Nataku did that with a bear sweater, POS buyer did a charge back and got her money back and kept the sweater. Then sold the sweater for $1500. Still makes me ticked to this day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by horse's_ass View Post


Seconded wrt making my blood boil.

Tell me about it - I have her account saved because I intend to "remedy" this situation someday (when I can afford it). Every Sunday when I look through all my saved sellers listings to see what new items are put up, I accidentally open hers and it makes me ffffuuuu.gif every time. Instant bad mood for at least 20 minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post


The point of a personal payment is that your personally paying for something already done (a service) or that you own money. Your not suppose to use it for merchandise (sale of goods) which is why there is no address associated with personal payments as there is no need to ship anything....would love to hear from Nataku what exactly happened as the link to the org thread is "gone". Was personal payment used?


I'll try to make a long story short, but even the short version is a bit lengthy.

I put the cashmere Polo bear sweater on eBay. Got 8 messages asking me to end it early within the first hour. Responded to the highest offer ($800). I sent her my PP address and asked her to send it via Personal Payment (to avoid fees and possibly a scam) and she did with no fuss. Sent the sweater in a tyvek envelope inside a USPS Priority Mail box. Sent with Signature Confirmation. About a week later, she claims she got a t-shirt instead of a sweater and said the package appeared to be tampered with when she received it. She implied that USPS did something with it as she said it went between two different post offices (seen in the tracking info) in NYC (where she lives) and she had never seen that before. I filed a case with the Postal Inspectors. They said the package went back and forth because she gave me the wrong zip code. They also got in touch with the carrier who delivered the package and he said the package didn't have any damage that was out of the ordinary.

I drain my bank account fearing the worst, get home and see that my fear was correct. She filed a charge-back the day after our messages were exchanged. Put my PP at -$800. Fought with Paypal and everyone there told me something different. I have no chance, I have a great chance, they don't know, they do know, etc. Ridiculous. Even the supervisors were of no help. They said they had some information that they could not disclose but to let them know what I got back. If it was what the supervisor said he hoped I got back, they'd refund me the money no questions asked. Needless to say, it wasn't what they thought and now I'm out the sweater and $800. The way they worded it implied she had pulled similar things in the past.

She sent the sweater to a friend(also in NYC) who listed it for her about 2 weeks later. Sold for $1500. ffffuuuu.gif

The said friend's eBay moniker had feedback with them complaining that they were scammed the same way I was. Coincidence?


Anyway, almost 2 months have past, the thread was blackholed because some ass-clown was starting drama and I'm trying to get over it. Still pisses me off that she got away with it. Paypal/eBay are a horrible, corrupt corporation but until someone gives them some competition, we can just plan to see them get worse..... frown.gif
post #21069 of 109422

^^^^

 

Yeah, we need a shared blacklist.... Fortunately I haven't had anything worth scamming so far, but I'd probably have an aneurysm if that happened to me.

post #21070 of 109422

Originally Posted by Nataku View Post

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nataku View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles_ View Post

Nope. Nataku did that with a bear sweater, POS buyer did a charge back and got her money back and kept the sweater. Then sold the sweater for $1500. Still makes me ticked to this day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by horse's_ass View Post

Seconded wrt making my blood boil.

Tell me about it - I have her account saved because I intend to "remedy" this situation someday (when I can afford it). Every Sunday when I look through all my saved sellers listings to see what new items are put up, I accidentally open hers and it makes me ffffuuuu.gif every time. Instant bad mood for at least 20 minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post


The point of a personal payment is that your personally paying for something already done (a service) or that you own money. Your not suppose to use it for merchandise (sale of goods) which is why there is no address associated with personal payments as there is no need to ship anything....would love to hear from Nataku what exactly happened as the link to the org thread is "gone". Was personal payment used?


I'll try to make a long story short, but even the short version is a bit lengthy.

I put the cashmere Polo bear sweater on eBay. Got 8 messages asking me to end it early within the first hour. Responded to the highest offer ($800). I sent her my PP address and asked her to send it via Personal Payment (to avoid fees and possibly a scam) and she did with no fuss. Sent the sweater in a tyvek envelope inside a USPS Priority Mail box. Sent with Signature Confirmation. About a week later, she claims she got a t-shirt instead of a sweater and said the package appeared to be tampered with when she received it. She implied that USPS did something with it as she said it went between two different post offices (seen in the tracking info) in NYC (where she lives) and she had never seen that before. I filed a case with the Postal Inspectors. They said the package went back and forth because she gave me the wrong zip code. They also got in touch with the carrier who delivered the package and he said the package didn't have any damage that was out of the ordinary.

I drain my bank account fearing the worst, get home and see that my fear was correct. She filed a charge-back the day after our messages were exchanged. Put my PP at -$800. Fought with Paypal and everyone there told me something different. I have no chance, I have a great chance, they don't know, they do know, etc. Ridiculous. Even the supervisors were of no help. They said they had some information that they could not disclose but to let them know what I got back. If it was what the supervisor said he hoped I got back, they'd refund me the money no questions asked. Needless to say, it wasn't what they thought and now I'm out the sweater and $800. The way they worded it implied she had pulled similar things in the past.

She sent the sweater to a friend(also in NYC) who listed it for her about 2 weeks later. Sold for $1500. ffffuuuu.gif

The said friend's eBay moniker had feedback with them complaining that they were scammed the same way I was. Coincidence?


Anyway, almost 2 months have past, the thread was blackholed because some ass-clown was starting drama and I'm trying to get over it. Still pisses me off that she got away with it. Paypal/eBay are a horrible, corrupt corporation but until someone gives them some competition, we can just plan to see them get worse..... frown.gif

 

Thanks for sharing, didnt know the entire story, and dont mean to make you upset for 20 min, but now I know a little more info when using paypal personal (I thought it was pretty safe but guess not).

 

Are any mods against starting a eBay seller blacklist?

post #21071 of 109422
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post



Fortunately I haven't had anything worth scamming so far, but I'd probably have an aneurysm if that happened to me.



That's what caught me off guard. I've only sold a handful of <$500 items ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

dont mean to make you upset for 20 min, but now I know a little more info when using paypal personal (I thought it was pretty safe but guess not).

No worries. The story needs to be kept alive somewhere to keep others aware of what awful people are out there. I really only get upset when I see her items (her making more money, likely off more hardworking individuals).
post #21072 of 109422
Hey Nataku,

I think you previously said that you also contacted the police, did that go anywhere?

Last week I sold a pair of shell cordovan Alden loafers. The buy received them, then sent me an Item Not as Described message claiming they weren't shell. They said they were going to return them for a refund. Now I am waiting to see if they return another pair of shoes or just had buyers remorse. Either way it is irritating since I am still going to be out the shipping at the very least. Perhaps I should rethink offering a return policy.
post #21073 of 109422

I just sold shell Alden Loafers to someone in NYC...double whammy? satisfied.gif

post #21074 of 109422
Nope. They told me there wasn't anything they could do and that I'd need to contact the Postal Inspectors because they work on a national basis. Her local PD wouldnt even listen to me since I am out of state. Back to square one. I gave up.

I'm dealing with a similar situation as you right now. Sold a Duluth Pack duffle bag a week or so ago. Buyer messaged me last night saying that I advertised it as 12" X 18" X 6" but it is actually 11"X16"X4". I copy/pasted the measurements from the retail website description. My mistake but still - really? All this fuss over a couple inches? He also claims that it's a completely different model (that looks nothing like it). What a doorknob. I told him to return it and I'd refund him. Let's see what happens.... baldy[1].gif
post #21075 of 109422
Damn Nataku, sorry to hear that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread