or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 133  

post #1981 of 138728
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruff View Post
Are any of these ties you'd otherwise buy were they not so cheap? Would you spend...say $15/each for them? I wouldn't wear any of the these ties even if given to me free (just my personal taste).

How amped you are about this pickup gets me wondering how many people contributing to this thread walk around in ill-fitting, dated, worn and/or "ugly" clothing only because it came for cheap from a thrift. If I was presented w/ the tie selection above, I'd pass so as to keep my house clean of clutter and instead spend $40 on one nice Holliday and Brown. Less is more. But again, just my take.


Well, one thing we all can be grateful for is the ability to have individual taste, because I bet you are wearing a lot of things you see as top billing I might view as out dated tasteless crap not fit for a yard sell.

but on the flip side you have all top grade pieces but it just looks like crap because of how you look from the neck up, which no one has control over(unless you get the help from a plastic surgeon )...oh... (just MY personal taste with out the BS attitude)
post #1982 of 138728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville View Post
Well, one thing we all can be grateful for is the ability to have individual taste, because I bet you are wearing a lot of things you see as top billing I might view as out dated tasteless crap not fit for a yard sell.

but on the flip side you have all top grade pieces but it just looks like crap because of how you look from the neck up, which no one has control over(unless you get the help from a plastic surgeon )...oh... (just MY personal taste with out the BS attitude)

This wasn't so much directed as pointing out that your over the top enthusiasm for making thrift finds was perhaps indicative of a greater phenomenon.

I'll refrain from retorting your comment about my looks so as to avoid your driving up here in your vinyl-seated Caprice looking for a fight. Nice sky blue suit, btw.
post #1983 of 138728
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruff View Post
Are any of these ties you'd otherwise buy were they not so cheap? Would you spend...say $15/each for them? I wouldn't wear any of the these ties even if given to me free (just my personal taste).

How amped you are about this pickup gets me wondering how many people contributing to this thread walk around in ill-fitting, dated, worn and/or "ugly" clothing only because it came for cheap from a thrift. If I was presented w/ the tie selection above, I'd pass so as to keep my house clean of clutter and instead spend $40 on one nice Holliday and Brown. Less is more. But again, just my take.

Yeah, in line with this, my number one rule of thrifting is to practice restraint. If I try something on but have to think twice about buying it for any reason, I usually put it back. A well known brand doesn't mean that the item suits me.
post #1984 of 138728
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruff View Post
This wasn't so much directed as pointing out that your over the top enthusiasm for making thrift finds was perhaps indicative of a greater phenomenon.

I'll refrain from retorting your comment about my looks so as to avoid your driving up here in your vinyl-seated Caprice looking for a fight. Nice sky blue suit, btw.


Please.. you are just barely worth the efforts of my key strokes let alone the price of gas in my caprice to confront a nothing over nothing. oh and thanks btw.
post #1985 of 138728
Quote:
Originally Posted by lithium180 View Post
Yeah, in line with this, my number one rule of thrifting is to practice restraint. If I try something on but have to think twice about buying it for any reason, I usually put it back. A well known brand doesn't mean that the item suits me.

I buy what "I" like, not because of the name brand. I shop me Me not any of you, thats what you need to consider and remember when you comment on my threads. no pun intended
post #1986 of 138728

I found this Polo jacket today for $5. Doesn't seem like an orphan to me but I could be wrong. How's the fit? I'm liking the Polo cut, it's trim with high armholes and skinny sleeves. I think my next suit's gonna be Polo. How do I wear this (what shirt/tie/trousers)? It's a herringbone pattern as shown in the closeup. Pretty clueless when it comes to this so I'd like some suggestions. Maybe some earth tone or charcoal trousers? I don't plan on wearing it like in the photo, just wanted to get a quick pic to evaluate fit.


Edited by HomerJ - 2/7/12 at 8:48pm
post #1987 of 138728
Nice jacket. You could wear it with chocolate/charcoal/green/orange/white -cords/moleskins/slacks. White shirt or any light color. Button down would be ideal. A tartan tie would be nice or a knit. It's casual nature means that it can be properly be worn with anything. Think of your stereotypical professor.
post #1988 of 138728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville View Post
I buy what "I" like, not because of the name brand. I shop me Me not any of you, thats what you need to consider and remember when you comment on my threads. no pun intended

My comment wasn't a response to your post. Now, more about thrifting...
post #1989 of 138728
Quote:
Originally Posted by lithium180 View Post
My comment wasn't a response to your post. Now, more about thrifting...

post #1990 of 138728
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruff View Post
How amped you are about this pickup gets me wondering how many people contributing to this thread walk around in ill-fitting, dated, worn and/or "ugly" clothing only because it came for cheap from a thrift. If I was presented w/ the tie selection above, I'd pass so as to keep my house clean of clutter and instead spend $40 on one nice Holliday and Brown. Less is more. But again, just my take.

Of course, I'm often boggled by some of the ties guys drop $100+ on. Hermes prints money selling patterns I'd never wear.

Sure, I've bought ties at a thrift I've never worn. But hey, even if I never do, I'm out a buck. If I get tired of storing them, I can always take 'em back. I've spent far more on ties that never made it into the rotation. (I'm looking at you, E. Marinella.)

Buying at a thrift is the same as buying anywhere. The results can be good, bad, or eh.
post #1991 of 138728
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
Buying at a thrift is the same as buying anywhere. The results can be good, bad, or eh.

I agree, but I feel like there's a compulsion to horde up on thrift finds with a "eh, I'll never wear these eight ties, but they're a buck each, so what the hell". That either ends up 1) forcing you to wear something [ugly, in bad condition, smelly, etc] that you otherwise would never think about putting on, or 2) filling your closets with junk. While I was in college, I'd hit up two local shops on my Friday walk home from class and ended up having a closet full of crap. I've since probably done away with 75% of the stuff I own by selling on here or ebay and feel totally refreshed.
post #1992 of 138728
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_jack View Post
Nice jacket. You could wear it with chocolate/charcoal/green/orange/white -cords/moleskins/slacks. White shirt or any light color. Button down would be ideal. A tartan tie would be nice or a knit. It's casual nature means that it can be properly be worn with anything. Think of your stereotypical professor.
Thanks for the picture, I can see it now. I need to find some knit ties now. It was my experience that when I first started thrifting, I would bring home too much stuff. Now I'm more selective.
post #1993 of 138728
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruff View Post
I agree, but I feel like there's a compulsion to horde up on thrift finds with a "eh, I'll never wear these eight ties, but they're a buck each, so what the hell". That either ends up 1) forcing you to wear something [ugly, in bad condition, smelly, etc] that you otherwise would never think about putting on, or 2) filling your closets with junk.

I have a simple rule for buying at thrift...it must be in perfect condition and it must be something that I'd wear the next day.
post #1994 of 138728
A question... what is a consignment store? Thanks!
post #1995 of 138728
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
I've spent far more on ties that never made it into the rotation. (I'm looking at you, E. Marinella.)

That's why you should get your Marinellas at thrift!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread