or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 1217

post #18241 of 112275
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post


Did the label look like this?
label.jpg



It was a Dior tag, tacked in the corners. Very similar to what you posted. I know that Dior's faked--and I've made the mistake of buying Monsieur. I've also been taken twice by Armani fakes, but everything on the suit looked legitimate. Just like this:

 

dior.JPG

 

post #18242 of 112275
Found a little something for once today - a pair of Florsheim vintage #8 shell longwings. Good shape with brand-new heels. Size 10.5C. Photos omitted since if you don't know what a Florsheim shell longwing looks like by now, you haven't read any of this thread. lol8[1].gif

Sadly that was the only pickup. Ah, well, shell is exceedingly rare around here.
post #18243 of 112275
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkidd41011 View Post

And can anyone identify the maker of these pants? They were too well made to leave behind (found them with the notch method). plus they are solid navy.
263
Both the jackets are tagged from Saks and seem NWOT and the pants, although wrinkled look unworn as well. Wonder is Saks donated some oddball clothes?

Those are Zegna. Looks like a pair of recent, orphaned trousers. Funny thing is, the giveaway for me was the waistband lining, not the tag. laugh.gif

FYI: Recent Zegna stuff is usually marked "Suit" or "Jacket" on the tags, so it's easy to spot an orphan. This one is marked as a suit.
post #18244 of 112275
Nat...I assume the Dunhill is orphan? What funny on that is the sewn in Saks tag says made in Italy, yet it's actually made in Japan.

Here is the tag on the Armani...it looks recent as well.

263
post #18245 of 112275


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylamer View Post

I finally got back to the city and had a chance to hit my circuit. I'm trying to buy only stuff that's, in my mind, "great"--or as good as you can find in Canada--and not have to deal with another 101-dress-shirts situation. That means buying stuff in my size. Period.

 

Dack's prairie oxhide oxfords:

 

100_2032.JPG

 

Two Al Stohlman hand-tooled belts. Lots of wear, brass buckles, and lots of character (bought at a church rummage sale in the country).

 

100_2033.JPG

 

From the left, mainline Pal Zileri cashmere jacket (peak lapels and cool as hell), Norman Hilton tweed circa. '85, mainline Pal Zileri super 150s dual-vented navy orphan, unstructured Samuelsohn SC, unstructured Samuelsohn SC. You can't sell your soul for a Kiton or Brioni or Borrelli anything in Canada, but you can buy Samuelsohns cheaper than jugs of milk. So instead of trying to look cool, I'll just try to look "distinguished."

 

100_2034.JPG

 

And a Baldessarini shirt that I'm wearing. Hey, it's clean.

 

And a narrow miss on a Dior Homme cotton suit. It had a weird discolouration on the thigh--it almost looked like a solvent stain. But it was my size, and, man, I wanted that suit, I'm going to have to go back to take another look.


Very nice Haul, I wouldn't get a suit for $50 just to experiment on the pants with oxyclean/vinegar...  if it was $20 or under its a different story.

 

post #18246 of 112275
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylamer View Post

It was a Dior tag, tacked in the corners. Very similar to what you posted. I know that Dior's faked--and I've made the mistake of buying Monsieur. I've also been taken twice by Armani fakes, but everything on the suit looked legitimate. Just like this:

 

dior.JPG

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolnotmutton View Post

 

Very nice Haul, I wouldn't get a suit for $50 just to experiment on the pants with oxyclean/vinegar...  if it was $20 or under its a different story.

 



Go get that suit first thing in the morning.
post #18247 of 112275
^^^ +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkidd41011 View Post

Nat...I assume the Dunhill is orphan? What funny on that is the sewn in Saks tag says made in Italy, yet it's actually made in Japan.
Here is the tag on the Armani...it looks recent as well.
263

Yeah, the Dunhill looks like an orphan. Could very well be orphaned stuff from Saks. Reminds me of a small shop around here that would get "store damaged" stuff from Saks/NM/Bergdorf Goodman and sell them for a flat price of $5 per piece. Loved that place! It was that store that got me into removing stains. On 80% of the stuff, it worked like a charm. They also ended up with a lot of custom made stuff that was never claimed that had no damage at all. Founds lots of amazing Domenico Spano for Bergdorf Goodman and Saks that way. Sadly, I discovered the store towards the end of it's existence. I hit it weekly for about a year and for the last month or so they had Macy's garbage before closing up shop. frown.gif
post #18248 of 112275
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post


Go get that suit first thing in the morning.


OK, tony don't listen to me.. Spoo and Nat obviously knows more about this kind of stuff than I do.

 

My find  Cooper defense contract A-2 airforce jacket in mint condition... Researched on ebay and it seems that these things go for around $250 with a good listing.  Goatskin leather, but most likely I will keep this. DSC05118.JPG

 

Found a versace versus leather sport jacket.  I know it is a diffusion line, but finding a versace let along leather is pretty rare for me.  

 

 

 

post #18249 of 112275

* didn't mean to quote myself.

post #18250 of 112275
Found an awesome and fashunably slim Dale of Norway fair isle sweater today; at first I was just going to pretend it was an Ervell, then I looked it up online and it actually retails for more. facepalm.gif Anyone heard of this brand?
post #18251 of 112275
Wow - I've only once found a Dale of Norway sweater! They're made well. They do very well re-sale wise too.
post #18252 of 112275
Ah, very good...haha, and I thought it was like a K-mart brand sweater.
post #18253 of 112275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post

Those are Zegna. Looks like a pair of recent, orphaned trousers. Funny thing is, the giveaway for me was the waistband lining, not the tag. laugh.gif
FYI: Recent Zegna stuff is usually marked "Suit" or "Jacket" on the tags, so it's easy to spot an orphan. This one is marked as a suit.

And that solves today's mystery for me. Thank you.

469
post #18254 of 112275
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolnotmutton View Post


Pics?
post #18255 of 112275
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobizor View Post

Found an awesome and fashunably slim Dale of Norway fair isle sweater today; at first I was just going to pretend it was an Ervell, then I looked it up online and it actually retails for more. facepalm.gif Anyone heard of this brand?


 

Yes, they are probably the biggest and certainly one of the oldest Norwegian outdoors products manufacturers. I've was at their factory store just near Bergen a few years back. Their sweaters are fantastic.

 

http://dale.no/us/about/the-company

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread