or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 1213

post #18181 of 114651
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobizor View Post

Yhpgf.png
You and Elizabeth Berkley...

That was the transormation of brainy jessie spano to showgirl who cant pronounce versace satisfied.gif
post #18182 of 114651
As a Saved by the Bell fan, my middle school self nearly exploded when we snuck in to see that. laugh.gif

Second only to Charles In Charge's Nicole Eggert in the Corey Haim/Feldman vehicle Blown Away, and slightly above Alyssa Milano's Who's the Boss?-busting turn in Embrace of the Vampire.

Damn. Memories. devil.gif
post #18183 of 114651
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobizor View Post

As a Saved by the Bell fan, my middle school self nearly exploded when we snuck in to see that. laugh.gif
Second only to Charles In Charge's Nicole Eggert in the Corey Haim/Feldman vehicle Blown Away, and slightly above Alyssa Milano's Who's the Boss?-busting turn in Embrace of the Vampire.
Damn. Memories. devil.gif

Are you forgetting Just one of the Guys? (slightly NSFW)
post #18184 of 114651
Haha, I love that movie, and not even in any ironic sort of way....
post #18185 of 114651
I had a photo shoot outside of the city today so I rented a car and decided to hit up every Value Village on the way. I managed to stop by 5 of them including a huge one that just opened today and I didnt find a single thing worth buying. What a bunk day.
post #18186 of 114651
Quote:
Originally Posted by potemkin_city_limits View Post

I had a photo shoot outside of the city today so I rented a car and decided to hit up every Value Village on the way. I managed to stop by 5 of them including a huge one that just opened today and I didnt find a single thing worth buying. What a bunk day.

A bad day at a thrift store beats a good day at work.
post #18187 of 114651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post

A bad day at a thrift store beats a good day at work.

Very true. I guess Im lucky that even my busiest days of work leave me with plenty of time to check out thrift stores.
post #18188 of 114651
Quote:
Originally Posted by potemkin_city_limits View Post

I had a photo shoot outside of the city today so I rented a car and decided to hit up every Value Village on the way. I managed to stop by 5 of them including a huge one that just opened today and I didnt find a single thing worth buying. What a bunk day.

Sounds like the past couple weeks for me. Hit 3-5 stores and don't find a single thing worth buying.
post #18189 of 114651
I had a bit of luck this weekend. I was up in Minneapolis/St. Paul this weekend visiting some family and my Uncle took my around to a couple thrift stores he frequents near his house (don't worry Nataku, he buys some shoes but almost no clothes). We didn’t find anything, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen thrift stores more organized or high priced before. I was seriously impressed. Every shoe was grouped on individual racks by type (penny loafers, tassel loafers, cowboy boots, hiking boots, wingtips, etc). I've never seen anything like it. The prices were insane though, at least compared to what I’m used to. I guess the organization doesn't come cheap.

But, when we got back in the car my Uncle started thinking and asked what size shoe I wore. Turns out he found a pair of #994 Alden Shell Cordovan saddle oxfords a while ago that he thought would fit him but didn't. They fit me! So, I traded him a few pairs of shoes I had kicking around took the Alden’s home with me.

As a side note, does anyone know the best way to clean an Alpaca Hide Rug? I ended up with one of those for $15 this weekend too... Think a dry cleaner could do it?
post #18190 of 114651
Wow - I don't think I've ever been to that store. Sounds like a department store by how organized the shoes are. I know of several insanely high-priced thrifts, though. I went in once to see if it was really that bad. It was. Had a good chuckle and don't even bother with them anymore.

Nice trade on the Aldens!
post #18191 of 114651
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose04 View Post

I had a bit of luck this weekend. I was up in Minneapolis/St. Paul this weekend visiting some family and my Uncle took my around to a couple thrift stores he frequents near his house (don't worry Nataku, he buys some shoes but almost no clothes). We didn’t find anything, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen thrift stores more organized or high priced before. I was seriously impressed. Every shoe was grouped on individual racks by type (penny loafers, tassel loafers, cowboy boots, hiking boots, wingtips, etc). I've never seen anything like it. The prices were insane though, at least compared to what I’m used to. I guess the organization doesn't come cheap.
But, when we got back in the car my Uncle started thinking and asked what size shoe I wore. Turns out he found a pair of #994 Alden Shell Cordovan saddle oxfords a while ago that he thought would fit him but didn't. They fit me! So, I traded him a few pairs of shoes I had kicking around took the Alden’s home with me.
As a side note, does anyone know the best way to clean an Alpaca Hide Rug? I ended up with one of those for $15 this weekend too... Think a dry cleaner could do it?

I'm guessing this was in eastern St. Paul in a sort of big strip mall or its name started with a U?
post #18192 of 114651
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikethelights View Post

I'm guessing this was in eastern St. Paul in a sort of big strip mall or its name started with a U?

That's the one! The other was in the same chain, but started with a V and just down the street from a Byerly's (nice contrast). I guess the stuff my Uncle buys is pretty cheap no matter where you go, so he's not concerned with price.
post #18193 of 114651
Quote:
Originally Posted by contactme_11 View Post

It looks real to me but just really old. Spoo will know for sure though.

Its real
post #18194 of 114651
Found an awesome bag today:

IMG_20111007_104937.jpg
post #18195 of 114651
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose04 View Post

That's the one! The other was in the same chain, but started with a V and just down the street from a Byerly's (nice contrast). I guess the stuff my Uncle buys is pretty cheap no matter where you go, so he's not concerned with price.

Aaaah, that explains it. I went there once and only once. Found nothing at all, not even a Hugo Boss shirt/tie. It was depressing. Store was pretty dingy too. Same goes for the Brooklyn Park/Crystal location.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread