Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami,... Last post on 2/10/16 at 5:52pm in Streetwear and Denim
- The Editorial thread Last post on 10/12/15 at 4:40pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread) Last post on 2/6/16 at 10:19am in Streetwear and Denim
- The official list of online stores Last post on 1/30/16 at 4:40am in Streetwear and Denim
- Men's clothes & shoes sizes--- Why are there so few Mediums 42R & 10.5 - 11 shoes? Last post on 10/8/15 at 11:33pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Holiday sales guide - 2015
Last edited: 12/26/15
- Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales ListLast edited: 12/1/15
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 1142post #17116 of 1387288/28/11 at 12:47pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #17117 of 1387288/28/11 at 12:48pmpost #17118 of 1387288/28/11 at 1:06pmTwo pairs of Allen Edmonds today, Polos in Black (for me), and Park Avenues in Burgundy (to sell). If anyone wants to go ahead and claim them, they're 7.5 D, have been reheeled (rubber, still a good bit of life) , plenty of life in the sole, and only a little wear on the uppers, mostly just from the laces and the expected creasing. If no immediate takers, I'll try to have a listing up before long.post #17119 of 1387288/28/11 at 1:11pmQuote:Originally Posted by Digmenow
BTW...the single breasted, raglan sleeved, fully belted (waist , sleeves and collar) tan raincoat with zip out lining in a 40R that I thrifted 2 months ago was VERY effective against the elements yesterday. I need to find a hat to go with it though. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Akubra- some of the most durable fur felt made today at a decent price. They make a variety of styles. The Federation IV is a favorite on The Fedora lounge, basically the same shape as indiana jones's, but it comes open crown, so you could crease it however you want. But they have various other crown shapes and brim sizes.post #17120 of 1387288/28/11 at 1:25pmQuote:
It's not really a function of the cost. If you like the coat and would wear it, it's gotta be worth at least $50, right? If not, it isn't even worth $10.
If it's unvented, it's probably dated in a bad way, so my guess would be no, but it's tough to say.post #17121 of 1387288/28/11 at 2:02pmQuote:
Nice finds! Sulka is pretty well regarded around here. I've found some very nice Sulka items. They have good resale value as well, they're pretty sought after. Nice score on the Jil Sander too. Jil is well known in the SW&D section. Great modern, minimalist designer. Stuff isn't easy to come by, so you scored! Well made and the prices are up there too. Retail on those pants was likely $450+.post #17122 of 1387288/28/11 at 2:26pmQuote:
It fit me pretty well but that fact that it had no vents was a deal breaker.post #17123 of 1387288/28/11 at 2:45pm
Just by way of some history: http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/21/nyregion/sulka-haberdasher-to-royalty-is-to-close-its-last-shop-in-us.htmlpost #17124 of 1387288/28/11 at 3:11pmQuote:Originally Posted by woolnotmutton
You should go through and learn about all the brands in this thread. May take you a couple of month to get through everything, but the knowledge you will gain can be very helpful. For example, at my goodwill they mark up banana republic/tommy/ralph lauren (blue label) shirts to $8 each, even on half off days they are $4. No one ever picks these up until half off days and eventually you can go and see an entire 10-20 shirts at a time of these brands. If I picked up everything in my size for a couple of month I would not need to buy a shirt for 4-5 years.
I once paid $14 for a used BR shirtpost #17125 of 1387288/28/11 at 3:26pmpost #17126 of 1387288/28/11 at 3:34pmQuote:
Vinasity, if you like the jacket then buy it. Unvented is fine unless you have a big ass. Many members here wear unvented no problems, myself included.
Also remember that 'SF approved' has no meaning on the street or in the real world. Pal Zileri is a good brand but brand names aside, the fit matters after all is said and done.post #17127 of 1387288/28/11 at 3:35pmpost #17128 of 1387288/28/11 at 3:39pmWent thrifting and then to some garage sales this weekend and found a few nice things.
Leather-top rosewood desk, $100
Black leather high-back desk chair, $75
Both furniture pieces are in incredible condition. The doctor I purchased them from, and his wife, are moving back to the Philippines so I got a good deal.
older, but seemingly unused, Eddie Bauer 100% down puffer style jacket, $3
four point cream colored wool blanket with multicolored block stripes, $25
Timberland 3 eyelet lug sole boat shoes, $8.99
and a few other small decorative pieces, for a pittancepost #17129 of 1387288/28/11 at 3:40pm
Yeah, it's definitely at least partially a time constraint thing, but I'll definitely be more attentive to brands. Thanks for the tips!
Quote:Originally Posted by woolnotmutton
depending on which part the country you live in, and the affluent neighborhoods in your area, you should really thrift better brands, and types of items. Although time spent is often an issue for people with full time jobs. If you pick up everything including various mall brands, your closet will be full very quickly. Quality over quantity :) You should go through and learn about all the brands in this thread. May take you a couple of month to get through everything, but the knowledge you will gain can be very helpful. For example, at my goodwill they mark up banana republic/tommy/ralph lauren (blue label) shirts to $8 each, even on half off days they are $4. No one ever picks these up until half off days and eventually you can go and see an entire 10-20 shirts at a time of these brands. If I picked up everything in my size for a couple of month I would not need to buy a shirt for 4-5 years.
post #17130 of 1387288/28/11 at 3:46pm
This thread is locked
- The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
- Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 41 seconds ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 1 minute ago
- › Eidos Napoli 2 minutes ago
- › Leica M8.2 Digital Rangefinder with Zeiss 50mm f/2 planar lens 3 minutes ago
- › Alligator / Crocodile Shoes 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 4 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 5 minutes ago
- › ***SW&D Photography Thread*** 5 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?