Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami,... Last post on 11/25/15 at 10:30pm in Streetwear and Denim
- The Editorial thread Last post on 10/12/15 at 4:40pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread) Last post on Today at 10:25 am in Streetwear and Denim
- The official list of online stores Last post on 11/2/15 at 2:28am in Streetwear and Denim
- Men's clothes & shoes sizes--- Why are there so few Mediums 42R & 10.5 - 11 shoes? Last post on 10/8/15 at 11:33pm in Classic Menswear
Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
Last edited: Yesterday
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 1142
Styleforum Top Picks
BTW...the single breasted, raglan sleeved, fully belted (waist , sleeves and collar) tan raincoat with zip out lining in a 40R that I thrifted 2 months ago was VERY effective against the elements yesterday. I need to find a hat to go with it though. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Akubra- some of the most durable fur felt made today at a decent price. They make a variety of styles. The Federation IV is a favorite on The Fedora lounge, basically the same shape as indiana jones's, but it comes open crown, so you could crease it however you want. But they have various other crown shapes and brim sizes.
It's not really a function of the cost. If you like the coat and would wear it, it's gotta be worth at least $50, right? If not, it isn't even worth $10.
If it's unvented, it's probably dated in a bad way, so my guess would be no, but it's tough to say.
Nice finds! Sulka is pretty well regarded around here. I've found some very nice Sulka items. They have good resale value as well, they're pretty sought after. Nice score on the Jil Sander too. Jil is well known in the SW&D section. Great modern, minimalist designer. Stuff isn't easy to come by, so you scored! Well made and the prices are up there too. Retail on those pants was likely $450+.
It fit me pretty well but that fact that it had no vents was a deal breaker.
Just by way of some history: http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/21/nyregion/sulka-haberdasher-to-royalty-is-to-close-its-last-shop-in-us.html
You should go through and learn about all the brands in this thread. May take you a couple of month to get through everything, but the knowledge you will gain can be very helpful. For example, at my goodwill they mark up banana republic/tommy/ralph lauren (blue label) shirts to $8 each, even on half off days they are $4. No one ever picks these up until half off days and eventually you can go and see an entire 10-20 shirts at a time of these brands. If I picked up everything in my size for a couple of month I would not need to buy a shirt for 4-5 years.
I once paid $14 for a used BR shirt
Vinasity, if you like the jacket then buy it. Unvented is fine unless you have a big ass. Many members here wear unvented no problems, myself included.
Also remember that 'SF approved' has no meaning on the street or in the real world. Pal Zileri is a good brand but brand names aside, the fit matters after all is said and done.
Leather-top rosewood desk, $100
Black leather high-back desk chair, $75
Both furniture pieces are in incredible condition. The doctor I purchased them from, and his wife, are moving back to the Philippines so I got a good deal.
older, but seemingly unused, Eddie Bauer 100% down puffer style jacket, $3
four point cream colored wool blanket with multicolored block stripes, $25
Timberland 3 eyelet lug sole boat shoes, $8.99
and a few other small decorative pieces, for a pittance
Yeah, it's definitely at least partially a time constraint thing, but I'll definitely be more attentive to brands. Thanks for the tips!
depending on which part the country you live in, and the affluent neighborhoods in your area, you should really thrift better brands, and types of items. Although time spent is often an issue for people with full time jobs. If you pick up everything including various mall brands, your closet will be full very quickly. Quality over quantity :) You should go through and learn about all the brands in this thread. May take you a couple of month to get through everything, but the knowledge you will gain can be very helpful. For example, at my goodwill they mark up banana republic/tommy/ralph lauren (blue label) shirts to $8 each, even on half off days they are $4. No one ever picks these up until half off days and eventually you can go and see an entire 10-20 shirts at a time of these brands. If I picked up everything in my size for a couple of month I would not need to buy a shirt for 4-5 years.
- The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 8 minutes ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 13 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 16 minutes ago
- › NFL 2015-16 Thread 16 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 19 minutes ago
- › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread 21 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 27 minutes ago
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 28 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 40 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 40 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories