Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami,... Last post on Yesterday at 9:58 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- The Editorial thread Last post on 4/25/16 at 7:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread) Last post on 9/12/16 at 2:10am in Streetwear and Denim
- The official list of online stores Last post on 9/21/16 at 2:20pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Summer sales 2016 - All the stuff that's fit to buy - codes, updates, etc... Last post on 7/1/16 at 12:12am in Streetwear and Denim
The Styleforum Holiday sales guide - 2015
Last edited: 12/26/15
- Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales ListLast edited: 12/1/15
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 1142post #17116 of 1387288/28/11 at 12:47pmpost #17117 of 1387288/28/11 at 12:48pmpost #17118 of 1387288/28/11 at 1:06pmTwo pairs of Allen Edmonds today, Polos in Black (for me), and Park Avenues in Burgundy (to sell). If anyone wants to go ahead and claim them, they're 7.5 D, have been reheeled (rubber, still a good bit of life) , plenty of life in the sole, and only a little wear on the uppers, mostly just from the laces and the expected creasing. If no immediate takers, I'll try to have a listing up before long.post #17119 of 1387288/28/11 at 1:11pmQuote:Originally Posted by Digmenow
BTW...the single breasted, raglan sleeved, fully belted (waist , sleeves and collar) tan raincoat with zip out lining in a 40R that I thrifted 2 months ago was VERY effective against the elements yesterday. I need to find a hat to go with it though. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Akubra- some of the most durable fur felt made today at a decent price. They make a variety of styles. The Federation IV is a favorite on The Fedora lounge, basically the same shape as indiana jones's, but it comes open crown, so you could crease it however you want. But they have various other crown shapes and brim sizes.post #17120 of 1387288/28/11 at 1:25pmQuote:
It's not really a function of the cost. If you like the coat and would wear it, it's gotta be worth at least $50, right? If not, it isn't even worth $10.
If it's unvented, it's probably dated in a bad way, so my guess would be no, but it's tough to say.post #17121 of 1387288/28/11 at 2:02pmQuote:
Nice finds! Sulka is pretty well regarded around here. I've found some very nice Sulka items. They have good resale value as well, they're pretty sought after. Nice score on the Jil Sander too. Jil is well known in the SW&D section. Great modern, minimalist designer. Stuff isn't easy to come by, so you scored! Well made and the prices are up there too. Retail on those pants was likely $450+.post #17122 of 1387288/28/11 at 2:26pmQuote:
It fit me pretty well but that fact that it had no vents was a deal breaker.post #17123 of 1387288/28/11 at 2:45pm
Just by way of some history: http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/21/nyregion/sulka-haberdasher-to-royalty-is-to-close-its-last-shop-in-us.htmlpost #17124 of 1387288/28/11 at 3:11pmQuote:Originally Posted by woolnotmutton
You should go through and learn about all the brands in this thread. May take you a couple of month to get through everything, but the knowledge you will gain can be very helpful. For example, at my goodwill they mark up banana republic/tommy/ralph lauren (blue label) shirts to $8 each, even on half off days they are $4. No one ever picks these up until half off days and eventually you can go and see an entire 10-20 shirts at a time of these brands. If I picked up everything in my size for a couple of month I would not need to buy a shirt for 4-5 years.
I once paid $14 for a used BR shirtpost #17125 of 1387288/28/11 at 3:26pmpost #17126 of 1387288/28/11 at 3:34pmQuote:
Vinasity, if you like the jacket then buy it. Unvented is fine unless you have a big ass. Many members here wear unvented no problems, myself included.
Also remember that 'SF approved' has no meaning on the street or in the real world. Pal Zileri is a good brand but brand names aside, the fit matters after all is said and done.post #17127 of 1387288/28/11 at 3:35pmpost #17128 of 1387288/28/11 at 3:39pmWent thrifting and then to some garage sales this weekend and found a few nice things.
Leather-top rosewood desk, $100
Black leather high-back desk chair, $75
Both furniture pieces are in incredible condition. The doctor I purchased them from, and his wife, are moving back to the Philippines so I got a good deal.
older, but seemingly unused, Eddie Bauer 100% down puffer style jacket, $3
four point cream colored wool blanket with multicolored block stripes, $25
Timberland 3 eyelet lug sole boat shoes, $8.99
and a few other small decorative pieces, for a pittancepost #17129 of 1387288/28/11 at 3:40pm
Yeah, it's definitely at least partially a time constraint thing, but I'll definitely be more attentive to brands. Thanks for the tips!
Quote:Originally Posted by woolnotmutton
depending on which part the country you live in, and the affluent neighborhoods in your area, you should really thrift better brands, and types of items. Although time spent is often an issue for people with full time jobs. If you pick up everything including various mall brands, your closet will be full very quickly. Quality over quantity :) You should go through and learn about all the brands in this thread. May take you a couple of month to get through everything, but the knowledge you will gain can be very helpful. For example, at my goodwill they mark up banana republic/tommy/ralph lauren (blue label) shirts to $8 each, even on half off days they are $4. No one ever picks these up until half off days and eventually you can go and see an entire 10-20 shirts at a time of these brands. If I picked up everything in my size for a couple of month I would not need to buy a shirt for 4-5 years.
post #17130 of 1387288/28/11 at 3:46pm
This thread is locked
- The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
- Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 2 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 3 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 3 minutes ago
- › Alden Color 8 King NST Tank with Antique Edge and commando sole 9 minutes ago
- › Yellow Hook Appreciation Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 37 minutes ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 46 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 52 minutes ago
- › Carmina Balmoral Boots / NEW 1 hour, 15 minutes ago
- › Orban's - Cheap, affordable European made Goodyear Welted shoes 1 hour, 18 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...