The Holland And Sherry has got to be my fav.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami,... Last post on 2/10/16 at 5:52pm in Streetwear and Denim
- The Editorial thread Last post on 10/12/15 at 4:40pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread) Last post on 2/6/16 at 10:19am in Streetwear and Denim
- The official list of online stores Last post on 1/30/16 at 4:40am in Streetwear and Denim
- Men's clothes & shoes sizes--- Why are there so few Mediums 42R & 10.5 - 11 shoes? Last post on 10/8/15 at 11:33pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Holiday sales guide - 2015
Last edited: 12/26/15
- Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales ListLast edited: 12/1/15
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 1126
Styleforum Top Pickspost #16877 of 1387288/17/11 at 6:37pmToday 2 very recent Oxxford sportcoats, both 46R so too big for me. The first is 100% camel hair in a tweedy herringbone pattern, the second is 100% cashmere birdseye flannel from Oxxford's Archive Collection. They'll be for sale.
On a sad note, I got that Henry Poole ivory dinner jacket back from the cleaners. I normally wear a 38 R/S and this jacket measures much closer to a 40R. If it were OTR it would definitely be tagged a 40R. So even though to make it fit all I'd need is to have the sleeves and length shortened, and perhaps have it brought in a touch at the shoulders/back (which by the way my tailor says would be very easy and affordable), I've decided that my tailor must be crazy and that I should listen to Lintman because jackets can't be tailored down by one size, EVER according to Lintman, and I'm just going to get rid of it. Sad really. What a shame jackets can't be tailored - EVER.post #16878 of 1387288/17/11 at 6:55pm^^^Those Oxxfords sound beautiful. about the Poole scenario.
!Quote:Originally Posted by AlanC
Okay, here's the haul (I think I've remembered everything; it's all at home right now). I was in a part of town I never go to in order to attend a funeral. My iPhone told me there was a nearby thrift I'd never visited. I tracked it down after the funeral. I found the shirts grouped together first, and was pretty excited by just that. Most of this stuff will fit me.
2 Venanzi suits
1 Saint Andrews suit
1 Venanzi sportcoat
1 Canali sportcoat
1 "made in Italy" sportcoat of high quality (has the label I attached above)
2 Venanzi shirts
2 Ben Silver linen shirts
1 Paul Stuart linen shirt
1 Thomas Pink linen shirt
1 Paul Stuart plaid linen/silk/wool Harrington jacket (made in England)
1 Paul Stuart rain jacket (made in Italy)
1 Orvis navy Harrington (not from the same donor as the other stuff)
Awesome haul, Alan! I love it when that happens all in one stop!post #16879 of 1387288/17/11 at 7:02pm
Sure sounds like there have been some awesome hauls recently! Picked up 3 more things today. Women's Christian Dior Size 10 posted above, a BB Camel Hair 44R and a Zegna yellow shirt 2XL (but fits like a large).
PS - If anyone thrifts midget stuff (36S,14.5-32 slim dress shirts, or "Small" Polo's) PM me ASAPpost #16880 of 1387288/17/11 at 7:15pmpost #16881 of 1387288/17/11 at 7:16pmpost #16882 of 1387288/17/11 at 7:35pmpost #16883 of 1387288/17/11 at 7:49pmpost #16884 of 1387288/17/11 at 7:55pmBeen a bit too busy to thrift much lately, and quick stops after work have yielded zilch but a beater Zara corduroy SC that'll be nice come Winter. But today!
First thing I laid my hand on in the first store I went to today: an old but not dated (or come-full-circle, rather?) Brioni SB peak lapel khaki suit. It fit wonderfully, if it was a little stiff from hanging in a closet for too long.
Then I see the noticeable pinhole right on the right chest, and a wood-varnish stain where the pants were folded over a hanger for decades.
Then a lavender Brioni for Wilkes shirt in great condition. Except for the frayed cuff corners.
Then a beautiful Canali houndstooth three piece, once of the nicest Canali's I've seen. WIth a giant stain on the lapel and vest.
Then two nice Turbull & Asser striped shirts with 15.5 collars, my size. That fit like 14.5 everywhere else. Excellent fit on the torso, but the shoulder seams were over an inch from the curve of my shoulder! When was T&A ever ultra-slim fit?!
Some days...post #16885 of 1387288/17/11 at 8:35pmso i went back to snag the stuff i left behind yesterday since today was 1/2 off day there today. that corneliani tux i found is NWOT, but all of the tags are in the breast pocket! Also found a MINT very recent Burberry sport coat, Hickey Freeman/Loro Piana super 120s suit, NWOT HSM Gold Trumpeter VERY RECENT sport coat. Also snagged a NWOT but vents and pockets still sewn shut linen saks house brand sport coat in black, and a NWT vineyard vines tie, light green with the dollar, euro, and yen symbols on it. Looks to have been made for a company as an advertizing item or something. Also found a MINT massimo bizzocchi tie.post #16886 of 1387288/17/11 at 10:15pm
Ah yes. Something new to put on my thrift-wish-list.Quote:
I'm 99% certain that I've not only seen a photo of that tie before, but that it was in this thread (if anyone can find the post I'm talking about within the 1100+ I'll be shocked/impressed).
Nothing noteworthy on my end, however. Some burgundy Bass Weejuns will fill a hole in my shoe collection, but nothing else since my Kicking Mule Workshop jeans a couple of weeks ago. Consequently, I'm anxiously awaiting pictures of AlanC's score for inspiration.post #16887 of 1387288/17/11 at 10:28pmQuote:
I found this exact tie a few months back. NWT. I liked it, but let it go as it was a little too wide for me (pushing 4").
^^^and yes that was my sales thread that you saw it inpost #16888 of 1387288/17/11 at 10:38pmpost #16889 of 1387288/18/11 at 5:37amQuote:Originally Posted by AlanC
Yes, in the metro. I paid around $85 for everything.
In my euphoria I stopped by two more stores on the way home, but only came away with two snow sleds for my daughters.
By the way, speaking of inspiration, I had been in a thrifting funk for months. This was very much needed.
Congrats on the haul! I need a haul like that. I've been in the same funk.post #16890 of 1387288/18/11 at 12:39pmI finally scored a few decent things today.
-Ferragamo tie w/ asian silk weavers motif
-Thomas Pink tie
-Talbott BOC tie
-3 NWT J.Crew OCBD's in my size
-Seven For All Mankind jeans in my size
-Levi's 514 cords
I passed on a Harold Powell suit that was beautiful. Wool/Cashmere blend, ticket pocket, subtle pick stitching throughout. The jacket fit great but the pants had double reverse pleats and though I appreciate them on some folks, they look horrid on me.
Also had a heartbreaking encounter with some Adriano Goldschmied jeans. The store got the waist/inseam measurements backwards. 36/32's will fit me great, 32/36's will not.
This thread is locked
- The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
- Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part Three 58 seconds ago
- › Shoe purge. Saint Crispin's, Enzo Bonafè and Paraboot. 1 minute ago
- › What to do with this orphaned black tuxedo jacket? Photos included 3 minutes ago
- › I think I hate San Francisco. 3 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 8 minutes ago
- › Massdrop - Official Affiliate Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 10 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 13 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 14 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 20 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?