or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 1125

post #16861 of 137491

Found this in the guys section (even though its a size 10 for a women) I picked it up to toss on eBay. Is it the "real" Christian Dior mainline stuff or the cheaper knock off brand? Figured I couldn't go wrong with Loro Piana 100% Cashmere

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

post #16862 of 137491
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post


Well fuck me for not living on the coasts... http://www.barneys.com/Barneys-New-York-Warehouse-Sale/WAREHOUSE_SALE,default,pg.html

The only time I went to a warehouse sale was on the second to last day. The only items that were left were XXXL, purple, damaged,...
post #16863 of 137491
Quote:
Originally Posted by deveandepot1 View Post


The only time I went to a warehouse sale was on the second to last day. The only items that were left were XXXL, purple, damaged,...

I suppose that will help me sleep at night a bit biggrin.gif.

Only problem with the B&M store in ATL is that it's a Co-Op (aka it's good for jeans and sport shirts exclusively, at least for me). I really wish there was a way to get the quality stuff stocked by Barney's anywhere around here. Literally the only way I found anything like "Drakes for Barney's" or "Brioni for Barney's," etc was at FB. Nothing in the way of good ties, SCs, shoes, etc at the Co-Op. Pretty defeating...
post #16864 of 137491
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post


Well fuck me for not living on the coasts... http://www.barneys.com/Barneys-New-York-Warehouse-Sale/WAREHOUSE_SALE,default,pg.html

Yeah, my wife mentioned this to me last night and said "Don't you feel bad that we don't live near a Barneys?". I told her "I've heard so much about them and nothing has ever been good. I don't think we're missing much.


Had an ok day today. Passed on a ton of nice Polo RL shirts/sweaters/ties, including a hand-knit angora sweater. It was pretty big (XXL). Also passed on a bunch of recent Paul Stuart sea island cotton shirts. They were 18x35.

- Recent Paul Stuart blue/white stripe dress shirt 16.5x35
- RLPL tan flannel shirt. Lg
- Vilebrequin seafoam linen shirt. M
- Napapijiri wool/corduroy winter jacket
- D/B Brioni suit. Navy w/ dark red stripes. 6/2 button.
- NWOT Fred Perry burgandy cashmere sweater. V-neck. XL
- NWOT vintage Sulka tie
- NWOT Polo RL Custom Fit Madras B/D shirt. 15.5
post #16865 of 137491
Today was my best single store haul ever. I'll try to have pics tomorrow. 

In the meantime, anyone know a maker on this? It has no maker or store tags. 

6314f082-09f7-eebb.jpg
post #16866 of 137491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianpore View Post

Found this in the guys section (even though its a size 10 for a women) I picked it up to toss on eBay. Is it the "real" Christian Dior mainline stuff or the cheaper knock off brand? Figured I couldn't go wrong with Loro Piana 100% Cashmere


Shoot! I wish it were a size 4!!!
post #16867 of 137491
Fun things today!

This is why you check the other sections regularly! Jack Georges brief. Excellent condition.

041956a8.jpg
89fb3704.jpg

If you believe Botany 500 was always a crap line, you've never seen the Botany 500 the "Mad Men" were wearing. This must be 50 to 55 years old and in mint condition. Its the old Botany 500 tailored by Daroff and it is gorgeous and SLIM. Wish it would fit, but I'm no John Hamm.

533bf0b3.jpg
5bbb5bb7.jpg
fca5aa84.jpg
post #16868 of 137491

great briefcase and that suit looks like it has very nice fabric, lapels are a bit skinny for my liking though

post #16869 of 137491
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC View Post

Today was my best single store haul ever. I'll try to have pics tomorrow. 

In the meantime, anyone know a maker on this? It has no maker or store tags. 

6314f082-09f7-eebb.jpg

i don't know what that label is but

multiple cashmere kiton sportcoats? I NEED INSPIRATION, TELL US ALAN icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #16870 of 137491
^^^ +1. Throw us a bone!
post #16871 of 137491
Okay, here's the haul (I think I've remembered everything; it's all at home right now). I was in a part of town I never go to in order to attend a funeral. My iPhone told me there was a nearby thrift I'd never visited. I tracked it down after the funeral. I found the shirts grouped together first, and was pretty excited by just that. Most of this stuff will fit me.

2 Venanzi suits
1 Saint Andrews suit
1 Venanzi sportcoat
1 Canali sportcoat
1 "made in Italy" sportcoat of high quality (has the label I attached above)

2 Venanzi shirts
2 Ben Silver linen shirts
1 Paul Stuart linen shirt
1 Thomas Pink linen shirt

1 Paul Stuart plaid linen/silk/wool Harrington jacket (made in England)
1 Paul Stuart rain jacket (made in Italy)

1 Orvis navy Harrington (not from the same donor as the other stuff)

I left an Oxxford suit coat I couldn't match to any trousers (frustrating) and a pair of Paul Stuart cords with stains.
post #16872 of 137491
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC View Post

Okay, here's the haul (I think I've remembered everything; it's all at home right now). I was in a part of town I never go to in order to attend a funeral. My iPhone told me there was a nearby thrift I'd never visited. I tracked it down after the funeral. I found the shirts grouped together first, and was pretty excited by just that. Most of this stuff will fit me.

2 Venanzi suits
1 Saint Andrews suit
1 Venanzi sportcoat
1 Canali sportcoat
1 "made in Italy" sportcoat of high quality (has the label I attached above)

2 Venanzi shirts
2 Ben Silver linen shirts
1 Paul Stuart linen shirt
1 Thomas Pink linen shirt

1 Paul Stuart plaid linen/silk/wool Harrington jacket (made in England)
1 Paul Stuart rain jacket (made in Italy)

1 Orvis navy Harrington (not from the same donor as the other stuff)

I left an Oxxford suit coat I couldn't match to any trousers (frustrating) and a pair of Paul Stuart cords with stains.

You find this in the metro? St. Andrews is such a weird find for around here, the Venanzi stuff makes more sense since Rick's was unloading so much of it... but wow! I'm guessing everything was fairly priced if it was a small store as well... even better nod[1].gif
post #16873 of 137491
Yes, in the metro. I paid around $85 for everything.

In my euphoria I stopped by two more stores on the way home, but only came away with two snow sleds for my daughters.

By the way, speaking of inspiration, I had been in a thrifting funk for months. This was very much needed.
post #16874 of 137491
S91k7.jpg

Stopped by at lunch today and found a very cool, M65-ish cotton and metal blazer from Zara. Too big, but I might try and have the chest taken in, since it was basically free...

EDIT: Also grabbed some very nice NWT RRL navy pants, 32x32, but they have kind of raised patch that hits at the knee and wouldn't look right if I got them hemmed. I'm also too lazy for B&S at the moment. So, if anyone who wears a 32x32 wants to trade me something cool in a 32 or 33 waist, pls give me shout...
spam[1].gif
Edited by noob in 89 - 8/17/11 at 6:34pm
post #16875 of 137491
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin View Post

...This is why you check the other sections regularly! ...

I always check the women's blazer rack in GW and never fail to find two or three misplaced men's sportcoats. Today I found a dark navy BB "Brooksease" 3 button that had a very soft hand but it was a 42R and alas, I'm a 40S in their stuff. Since I was in the neighborhood, I also checked out the women's scarf rack and found these. Wednesday is senior citizen day so I get teh discountz.

P8170018.jpgP8170019.jpg

I'm not married to any of them if anyone sees something they like but I figure I can make the copper Ferragamo work and the purple H & S can be worn on "Purple Friday". The pink Ferragamo is just cool because of its pinkness. I also found a striped Holland & Sherry (first H&S garment spotted in the wild for those of you keeping score) dress shirt but the neck was in the 17's and the pits were yellowed. Meh.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread