The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 1102
Styleforum Top Picks
And back to our regularly scheduled programming...
Vintage NOS Roblee full brogues in burgundy Horween shell. Now the big quandry...they're my size...flip or keep.
They still have the original department store price tag on the sole. The guy got them for half off. He paid $14.50. I'm guessing they must be from the '60s, but are in near perfect condition. The tag in the picture is the Horween Shell tag.
Very nice shoes, tonylumpkin! Hope you're keeping them!
- New Church's branded small Abbeyhorn shoe horn.
- Turnbull & Asser gold plated and green enamel one-piece cufflinks (my wife got these for me for $1.50)
- Three pairs of virtually new Thurston woven braces in striped patterns.
- A Dunhill Tailors of New York grey stripe SB 2 button suit that fits pretty well.
- A new Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving soap in a wooden bowl; perfect timing because my old one is running out.
- A pair of Simpsons of Piccadilly black patent evening shoes; I hardly need these, but at $5 they're worth having.
Here's a link of K&G locations that had "Designer Spotlight" sections:
Fakes, unfortunately - some of the giveaways are:
- They're not a model Omega ever produced, though you need to be a bit geeky to know this.
- The pushers and the crown are not in line (meaning it's a two-part movement, the time module and the chronograph module).
- The engraving on the back of the watch isn't good; on a genuine watch it would be much deeper and polished afterward:
They are just a touch too big for me in the waist (both jacket and suit) but I've already taken them to my tailor who seems to think they will be easily adjusted. Solid navy, blue on navy windowpane, blue pinstripe, a lighter solid blue, gray pinstripe, grey and blue glen paid @ 16.99 each.
Also scored a pair of Alden tasseled loafers and a pair of Hanover Shoe shell cordovan oxfords.
Also, found a nice HF SC for 4 dollars and a nice pair of shoe trees for a buck.
Today proved to be my most successful/interesting day in a while when I found my first item of SW&D ever for only $5. I also brought along a couple of North African students studying here for the summer and while they didn't find anything of note either, it was fun to be with them during their first thrifiting experience. I expect we'll go again later this week.
A couple of weeks ago I also found a Hickey Freeman houndstooth silk/wool jacket in a 42R that I imagine I'll eventually put up for sale or trade.Otherwise, the thrifting landscape has been rather bleak. Yet as Jacob Riis so eloquently put, ""When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."
DID find a BF tie at Filene's awhile back - but that's much more in line with what you'd expect.
And yes, this week I've been stopping at every TJM/Marshalls I pass by.
Today proved to be my most successful/interesting day in a while when I found my first item of SW&D ever for only $5.
Awesome find! I'd love to find a pair of KMWs in a thrift - helluva score at $5. My pair of 1980s ran me $100 at a discount store and they are worth every penny!
Question: The Cremieux is fused, probably? Are they, typically? I'm still having a hard time figuring out for sure, what with the pocket liner and all those layers of fabric in the various spots, esp when they have the extra little pocket below the inside breast (for a cell phone I'd imagine?) pocket. My post count says senior member but I admit I have much to learn.
Passing by the Salvation Army today (usually don't go till 1/2 price Wednesday), and ran into a delemia...buy some shirts full price!! $3 & $4 or chance it and wait till Wednesday to pick them up at $1.50 or $2. For a grand total of $14 went ahead and bit the bullet as I would have been shooting myself over the extra couple of bucks if I waited and someone else snatched them up.
(2) 14.5x32 BB Slim Fit Point Collar in White (like new and what I usually buy in the stores anyway)
John Varvatos USA FC 15.5 Button Down (might sell this one)
Theory Button Down Small
Banana Republic casual button down 14.5