or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 1056

post #15826 of 114756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post
Same here - save something for the people who will actually wear the stuff! She grabs everything from Brooks Brothers to high-end stuff. She hassles workers there for a "discount" too.

Ridgedale GW rarely has anything because one of the managers (younger guy with blonde spikey hair) told me straight up he does eBay and makes a killing. Him, plus the glasses lady pretty much makes it a worthless trip for me.


Need to get "glasses" banned from the store and manager fired.
post #15827 of 114756
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben View Post
I was just looking at a suit on ebay, saw the seller's location was my city, so I clicked on the "visit seller's store" link and found the online shop of one of the big flippers in town.

They have a huge shop (1200+ listings) and it's killing me to see all the nice stuff in my size that I miised out on.

I sold a suit to a guy about 20 miles north of me and realized all he does is flip, 22k feedback pretty much just from flipping. The next week I talked to a guy at a thrift who said he's met the guy I sold the suit to and that he actually has 2 friends/employees working for him.

Still can't figure out why he need to buy a fused Burberry suit while he was selling things in the same size that were twice as nice.
post #15828 of 114756
Like half of the guys here live within 10 miles of me....sweet!
post #15829 of 114756
An update on my haul from the other day......i had a sneaking suspicion that the Etro jacket i found with the Etro suit was also 1/2 of a suit. Couldnt find the pants anywhere when i bought it. Went back today, and BAM there were the pants! So tht makes 2 complete Etro suits i found there. Also snagged 2 ties while i was there....Brioni and Hermes. found another set of trafalgar braces there as well. Also grabbed an Oxxford suit there for a friend on here. So a mission for a pair of pants, turned into a decent day!
post #15830 of 114756
Picked up a pair of AE Park Avenues in great condition and a pair of Alden black cordovan tassel loafers. That was the first time I have come across Alden and luckily they were my size. I also came across 4 Eton shirts, all were the same size which was unfortunately not my size.
post #15831 of 114756
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben View Post
I was just looking at a suit on ebay, saw the seller's location was my city, so I clicked on the "visit seller's store" link and found the online shop of one of the big flippers in town. They have a huge shop (1200+ listings) and it's killing me to see all the nice stuff in my size that I miised out on.
I too have done this, though no huge stores. Just a few part-time flippers that put up a handful of items. One guy had a Kiton suit and a nice pair of C&J for Polo shoes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahl5yankees View Post
Like half of the guys here live within 10 miles of me....sweet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Face View Post
Need to get "glasses" banned from the store and manager fired.
I wish! Hit some shops today. Found two Oxxford suits and a few near misses. An orphaned suit jacket from Ede and Ravenscroft and a NWT Trafalgar tie with $30 price tag on it.
post #15832 of 114756
I got this pair of loafers today for $9. Im not sure what brand they are but they look like they are in decent shape and they fit really well.
post #15833 of 114756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Face View Post
Might need to buy as inspiration to get down from a 46R

If you make that happen let me know what 46's you have . Even if I dropped some weight I'm still a 46.
post #15834 of 114756
I'm not sure if a consignment shop counts but I picked up a barely used (after dry cleaning you wouldn't know it was) hickey freeman collection pin stripe suit that was completely tailored and fits perfectly $170 w/tax.I'm loving the working buttons too.
post #15835 of 114756
Went to a Goodwill I haven't been to before on my way to a wedding out of town. Found 10 Oxxford jackets all 43-44T. Grabbed the one that seemed the most unique and the one full suit I could find. Not sure what the market for that size is but damn. All had the same guys named printed on the inside pocket tag.
post #15836 of 114756
Hey, I'm a 43-44. Were they super dated or pretty traditional? PM sent.
post #15837 of 114756
Ive been lucky here and there, last week I scored a pair of mint never worn Danner leather boots (explorers ) and a four ply cashmere sweater from peter millar thats beautiful
post #15838 of 114756
Wow, that really pisses me off. It would be great if the store actually produced something as it's quite close to my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post
Same here - save something for the people who will actually wear the stuff! She grabs everything from Brooks Brothers to high-end stuff. She hassles workers there for a "discount" too.

Ridgedale GW rarely has anything because one of the managers (younger guy with blonde spikey hair) told me straight up he does eBay and makes a killing. Him, plus the glasses lady pretty much makes it a worthless trip for me.
post #15839 of 114756
All of them were from the mid-90s. Nothing looked super dated to me. I think they were all notched lapel jackets, at least the couple I grabbed were. Lots of Alpaca and partially Cashmere from what I remember.
post #15840 of 114756
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSpackler27 View Post
Wow, that really pisses me off. It would be great if the store actually produced something as it's quite close to my house.

Ridgedale GW, the one on the other side of the highway south of the mall? Definitely never had luck at that one so that makes sense.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread