or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 96  

post #1426 of 138728
^Thanks, VMan. Your first rate photos put mine to shame. You inspired me to do better.
post #1427 of 138728
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
^Thanks, VMan. Your first rate photos put mine to shame. You inspired me to do better.

I have been using my fancy artificial lighting for a while, but I recently set up a studio in a room with great natural lighting. Now, I find myself trying to time my shooting sessions so that I can catch that perfect light, rather than using my other lights.
post #1428 of 138728
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMan View Post
I have been using my fancy artificial lighting for a while, but I recently set up a studio in a room with great natural lighting. Now, I find myself trying to time my shooting sessions so that I can catch that perfect light, rather than using my other lights.

Vman,
Your artificial light photos are so good, what benefit do you see in taking natural light photos?
post #1429 of 138728
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoldh View Post
Vman,
Your artificial light photos are so good, what benefit do you see in taking natural light photos?

The artificial lights are good for a bright, even light source.

However, I feel sunlight is very pure, and also can give some nice contrast effects.

My lights are 3200K which is a yellowish light, daylight is 4400K to 5400K which is white/blue. You can adjust the white balance to compensate for this but it doesn't always look the same.

Sunlight:












Artificial light:

post #1430 of 138728
They just put the coats out, so I picked up an awesome Aquascutum Aqua 5 Raincoat, identical to this one - http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MENS-AQUASCU...QQcmdZViewItem, and also an Abboud made in Italy grey wool overcoat.

Does one wear such a coat in normal fall weather or is it only to be used on overcast days?

Four ties as well - Land's End, Abboud, Polo, and, oddly enough, a Borsalino (the hatmaker I assume) that still has the tags on.
post #1431 of 138728
Here's my contribution: $4.00 USD

Leather is pretty worked, but I love the broken in aesthetic(sp)
post #1432 of 138728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkous View Post
Here's my contribution: $4.00 USD

Leather is pretty worked, but I love the broken in aesthetic(sp)

what brand? nice find.
post #1433 of 138728
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMan View Post
The artificial lights are good for a bright, even light source.

However, I feel sunlight is very pure, and also can give some nice contrast effects.

My lights are 3200K which is a yellowish light, daylight is 4400K to 5400K which is white/blue. You can adjust the white balance to compensate for this but it doesn't always look the same.

Sunlight:












Artificial light:


You, sir, are an artist with that camera of yours...
post #1434 of 138728
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerikajinda View Post
what brand? nice find.

They are vintage Florshiem's!.... i recently bought another pair of newer black florshiem shoes (really comfy to work in)
post #1435 of 138728
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMan View Post
The artificial lights are good for a bright, even light source.

However, I feel sunlight is very pure, and also can give some nice contrast effects.

My lights are 3200K which is a yellowish light, daylight is 4400K to 5400K which is white/blue. You can adjust the white balance to compensate for this but it doesn't always look the same.

Sunlight:












Artificial light:

VMan...you're working with more than just sunlight there. You must be softening it somehow. The shadow and edges between shadow and light are too soft for direct sunlight alone. Give it up. What's your secret?
post #1436 of 138728
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin View Post
VMan...you're working with more than just sunlight there. You must be softening it somehow. The shadow and edges between shadow and light are too soft for direct sunlight alone. Give it up. What's your secret?
No, for the sunlight, i set up the shooting area directly in front of the window (3' wide, 5.5' high). I adjust the mini blinds to control how much light gets through, and to prevent direct bright spots. But usually I just have them wide-open. When I use artificial lights however, I bounce them off umbrellas.
post #1437 of 138728
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
Yesterday's acquisitions:

[*]unlabeled ribbon belt

Alan: I can't be 100% sure of the ID without seeing more of it but it looks an awful lot like a Robert Talbott ribbon belt I got recently (it has a simple D ring fastener). If it is, retail was ~$60. They are great belts and I regret not getting more colors when I had the chance.
post #1438 of 138728
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMan View Post
No, for the sunlight, i set up the shooting area directly in front of the window (3' wide, 5.5' high). I adjust the mini blinds to control how much light gets through, and to prevent direct bright spots. But usually I just have them wide-open.

When I use artificial lights however, I bounce them off umbrellas.

In that case, you have very nice light where you live.
post #1439 of 138728
Went thrifting the other day: - recent Brooks Brothers heavy wool full-length charcoal overcoat, brand new (still has store tag stub on it) - Cool Armani seersucker-type jacket - Few pairs of Zanella trousers - Ferragamo tie - Brooks Brothers brown laceup blutchers - A few Armani suits - Corneliani navy blazer with neat buttons, double vents, etc - A few Hugo Boss suits - Hugo Boss heavy wool peacoat/outer coat - Two pairs of mint Theory jeans - A few mint Armani Collezioni shirts - Mint Loro Piana dress shirt - Mint Canali dress shirt - Mint John Varvatos shirt - Mint CK Collection (black label) shirt - Derek Rose for Bullock & Jones cotton flannel pyjamas - NWOT recent Hugo Boss navy jacket (really nice actually) - Mint Etro striped shirt - Thomas Pink shirt - Kate Spade shoes for the GF, if she wants them - Couple bags of other ties and shirts
post #1440 of 138728
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMan View Post
Went thrifting the other day:

- recent Brooks Brothers heavy wool full-length charcoal overcoat, brand new (still has store tag stub on it)
- Cool Armani seersucker-type jacket
- Few pairs of Zanella trousers
- Ferragamo tie
- Brooks Brothers brown laceup blutchers
- A few Armani suits
- Corneliani navy blazer with neat buttons, double vents, etc
- A few Hugo Boss suits
- Hugo Boss heavy wool peacoat/outer coat
- Two pairs of mint Theory jeans
- A few mint Armani Collezioni shirts
- Mint Loro Piana dress shirt
- Mint Canali dress shirt
- Mint John Varvatos shirt
- Mint CK Collection (black label) shirt
- Derek Rose for Bullock & Jones cotton flannel pyjamas
- NWOT recent Hugo Boss navy jacket (really nice actually)
- Mint Etro striped shirt
- Thomas Pink shirt
- Kate Spade shoes for the GF, if she wants them
- Couple bags of other ties and shirts



Damn, you hit it pretty good. I haven't found very miuch of anything in months....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread