or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 907

post #13591 of 124745
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
No problem with that. Today I bought a BB shirt for myself. There's a difference between that sort of thing and actively useless junk.
+100 - there's a reason most days I don't post many, if any, finds. By the same token, though - don't rush to get Dockers just because you're "sure" you'll never see Bill's Khakis, Zanellas or some high-end brand. Even if there's not much high-end retail, if you're in a big enough city/area you'll find something someday. Hell, the other day I found a set of four shirts - Brioni, Borrelli, Oxxford and Thomas Pink. None of those is even sold within a 3-hour drive of here. (note: the pink wouldn't have been worthy of a photo, barely a mention, except it was found as part of the set) As long as I'm posting, if you find something not in your size don't just think "gosh, what could have been" - pick it up and trade or flip it, and then get your size. Many of the guys can tell you awesome stories about high-level swaps that worked out great. The one thing I hate to read about on this thread is someone saying "Yeah, I found a Kiton, but it was a hair too long for me so I left it." Seriously? Anyway, the longer you do this the better sense you'll get. May we all one day think it's no big deal to pick up NWT Hermes, leave Canali suits behind and not even take photos/brag about RLPL polos!
post #13592 of 124745
Found a nice pair of Nordstrom black loafers. I've passed on them before, but these are genuine crocodile tops/vamps & leather sides. Made in Italy, not sure by whom.
post #13593 of 124745
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWGP View Post

As long as I'm posting, if you find something not in your size don't just think "gosh, what could have been" - pick it up and trade or flip it, and then get your size. Many of the guys can tell you awesome stories about high-level swaps that worked out great. The one thing I hate to read about on this thread is someone saying "Yeah, I found a Kiton, but it was a hair too long for me so I left it." Seriously?

This x eleventy billion! If it's Neapolitan (Isaia, Borrelli, Kion, Attolini, Barba, Finamore.....) or just high quality stuff like Brioni, Oxxford, Savile Row bespoke - someone on here will want it and they will make it worth your while to grab it.
post #13594 of 124745
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
This has been suggested before, but let me urge newer thrifters to do it again. Instead of thrifting next time, find the best, most expensive men's shops or department stores in your area. Go there and browse. Look at the ties, look at the tailored clothing, look at the sportswear--touch it. Look at the price tags. Learn what good stuff looks and feels like.

The kind of finds posted here ought to be the things that get your heart pumping and your palms sweaty. I guarantee you that's what BBC felt when he saw that Kiton above.

i personally get a "chubby" instead
post #13595 of 124745
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy View Post
i personally get a "chubby" instead

Pics or GTFO....wait. Nvm.
post #13596 of 124745
A few things recently:

Zegna Couture Napoli SC, size 44, but the length, shoulders and sleeves fit my 40R body, so will just take it in a bit (well, more than than "a bit").







Richard James, silk and linen SC.





Marc Jacobs, Made in Italy cotton SC.




Ties - Kiton, PRL, no tag, Piatelli, David August, vintage Lew Ritter.






If anyone recognizes the pattern on the silk lining of the brown wool tie, I would appreciate a clue as I am currently clueless.
post #13597 of 124745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post
Pics or GTFO....wait. Nvm.

uploading...
post #13598 of 124745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navi View Post
Piss off. Be constructive or stfu.

Go back to selling crap clothes in your thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navi View Post
Fair enough. Never said you had to like it, but fuck if I'm going to take that from the guy who wouldnt know quality if it bit him in the ass.

Your avatar photo makes reading those comments 100x better
post #13599 of 124745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
Found a nice pair of Nordstrom black loafers. I've passed on them before, but these are genuine crocodile tops/vamps & leather sides. Made in Italy, not sure by whom.

These are actually Saks Fifth Ave.
LL
post #13600 of 124745
A few other shoe acquisitions: The loafers are new J&M's, burgundy Alden wingtips, tan Allen Edmonds, burgundy FL Imperial saddles.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #13601 of 124745
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahl5yankees View Post
I bought one a couple weeks ago (my second), pretty well made. Used and in excellent
condition, they fetch about $35 bucks on Ebay. I flipped one that was too big and keeping
the one in my size. If you think about the $3 you spent, keep it. If you start thinking
about $35, sell.

Thanks for the input! I stopped by at another thrift store later on this afternoon in my area and found:

1.) NWOT Lorenzini shirt - $3 (Way too big though - 17.5)
2.) Wool/cashmere Canali sweater - $3.50
3.) Zanella pleated pants - $4 (My size)
4.) Z for Zegna shirt (i know i know...) - $3
5.) NWOT Ferragamo windowpane shirt - $2.50
6.) PINK Shirt - $3
7.) Valentino tie - $1.50

Definitely not the greatest finds in the world, but it'll do for now.
post #13602 of 124745
Some others: FootJoy Classics, Bruno Magli loafers, black Allen Edmonds Park Avenue, cognac J & M "Trampoline", J & M "The Whitehouse Collection"
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #13603 of 124745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
Zegna Couture Napoli SC, size 44, but the length, shoulders and sleeves fit my 40R body, so will just take it in a bit (well, more than than "a bit").



Machine sewn buttonholes on a Zenga Couture? Hmm...
post #13604 of 124745
This thread has helped me a lot. Stuff I would have thought was an awesome score two years ago I don't give a 2nd look at now. Even if your plan is to flip it, some things the margin is so low, whne you factor in your time it's not worth it.
post #13605 of 124745
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkidd41011 View Post
This thread has helped me a lot. Stuff I would have thought was an awesome score two years ago I don't give a 2nd look at now. Even if your plan is to flip it, some things the margin is so low, whne you factor in your time it's not worth it.

always true
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread