Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami,... Last post on Yesterday at 8:26 am in Streetwear and Denim
- The Editorial thread Last post on 4/25/16 at 7:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread) Last post on 10/22/16 at 2:28pm in Streetwear and Denim
- The official list of online stores Last post on 9/21/16 at 2:20pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Summer sales 2016 - All the stuff that's fit to buy - codes, updates, etc... Last post on 7/1/16 at 12:12am in Streetwear and Denim
The Styleforum Holiday sales guide - 2015
Last edited: 12/26/15
- Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales ListLast edited: 12/1/15
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 7395post #110911 of 1387288/2/14 at 7:05pmpost #110912 of 1387288/2/14 at 7:06pmpost #110913 of 1387288/2/14 at 7:19pm
Had a fun day, saw Guardians of the Galaxy (I am Groot!) popped some cherries.
Multicolor seersucker for me, Stefano Ricci, BB, Kiton 7-fold (pop!)
Limited Edition(?) Trafalgar braces
Couple of Zegna jeans.
FU plaid tweed sport coat by Paul Stuart
Nice made in USA tweed by Polo.
Luciano Barbera Collezione Sartoriale tweedish sport coat. Wool/camel hair/cashmere blend.
Polo patch madras.post #110914 of 1387288/2/14 at 8:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by noob
I'm sensing a pattern here, and this is a road (if I can just mix metaphors for a sec) I've been down myself (and almost everyone here, too, I'd imagine):
Pause. Breathe. You probably want to hold off a bit on all these *might be's* and *almost*s and *with a little tailoring*.
Pause. Breathe again. Check out Uniqlo's web site. For the forty bucks you would have spent on an old ripped Z Zegna, you could grab, during one of their many sales, a new, slim, modern, perfectly good blazer that fits and is returnable if it doesn't. Same with their oxfords and chambrays: $20 on sale, and they will look better than any almost-fitting *baller* shirt from the thrift. (They will certainly fit better).
Take another breath. Pause. Reflect. Realize the internet is vast, the finds posted here are unlikely, you won't grab a cartfull every time out.
When you grab something, think: "Could I sell this to someone else? Would they go apeshit over it and do a little dance? Why or why not..." Apply these same rules to yourself. ("Am I to go apeshit over this piece?". Probably not....).
Psychology is not in your favor. Just by driving to the store, being in the store, having read the illustrious thrift thread, the very act of looking for something: these all skew your judgment. It has helped me to imagine I already have a basket of Kiton floating above my cart's squeaky wheels. I've already found so much amazement! Will this next thing push it over the edge? (If yes, grab it. If not, put the ten bucks back in your pocket. That's one half of a Uniqlo shirt right there; this all ads up; don't piss it away!)
When buying for yourself, don't just buy for the label inside. No one can see it, and if they could, they wouldn't know or care. Learn to recognize the quality pieces, or just what wows you or looks objectively good on you in the mirror.
Pause. Breathe. Consult Spoo or Brianpore or the Nataku-- they're all very friendly. Rage at futuremyth, at his plentiful cups that runneth all the way fucking over -- but don't empty your pockets in a rage. The stuff you see is not as good.
Except that one time a month when it is.
Then you buy. Then you photograph. Point. Cheer. Yell. Profit.
Love this! It is hard not to get carried away for sure, especially as a new thriftier... I'm making myself get many things listed before I go out to the stores again...post #110915 of 1387288/2/14 at 8:26pmQuote:Originally Posted by 330CK
Just a heads up: it's over a 4 hour drive from Pinellas County to Palm Beach County. Not trying to be ironically territorial.
Maybe hit up Dolfan954, last time I heard he was still in the Pinellas area. Also consider heading down the coast to Naples. That's only 2.5 hours and I've always had great luck there.
Oh yes - dolfan gave me some hints last time I was down. Didn't find a whole lot but this time Sarasota and Naples are def in the mix. Have an ex- down there on San Marco who doesn't hate me so would be nice to get back and see some folks...and thrift (I lived all around FL for 18 yrs on and off - hadn't been there for 10+ yrs and a LOT has changed).post #110916 of 1387288/2/14 at 8:26pm
Any threadbros in ABQ? I am headed out there for two weeks here soon, and I would love to meet up, and get the lay of the land. Moving my other half out there for her phD program at UNM so we're trying to partially furnish an apartment and figure out the general lay of the city. Please do shoot me a PM and we'll work out the details.post #110917 of 1387288/2/14 at 8:35pmI just learned that I will be expected to participate in a golf 'tourney' (for lack of a better word) during a trip that I will be taking at the end of this month. I have not swung a club in over two years (rented them while on vacation) and I don't even remember where I put my 'good' sticks the last time that I came home with them well over 5 years ago. My cleats, of course, are safely tucked into the golf bag that I can no longer locate.
Since I don't want to look too foolish, I decided that I had better:
- Hit the driving range (using my beater clubs that I somehow managed to put in their proper place way back in the day)
- Thrift some golf cleats pronto.
The results from the first trip to the range are ...encouraging. We'll see, The cleats, OTOH, were a cause for concern.
First store, last week... no golf cleats to be found that day.
Second store,yesterday... nice enough cleats but a size 8 while I'm a 10.
Third store, today.
Bingo! (Click to show)
Two pairs of Dryjoys, retailing around $80 per, each marked $7. 10W. Money!
The white pair still had the tissue paper stuffed in the toe box and the laces knotted and tucked inside like only a manufacturer can do. The brown pair look to have been worn slightly and there is a troubling indentation in the right toebox as if something had been resting on it wherever it had been stored.
I bought both.
I love thrift stores.post #110918 of 1387288/2/14 at 8:41pmpost #110919 of 1387288/2/14 at 8:45pmpost #110920 of 1387288/2/14 at 8:47pmpost #110921 of 1387288/2/14 at 8:52pmpost #110922 of 1387288/2/14 at 9:04pmpost #110923 of 1387288/2/14 at 9:16pmpost #110924 of 1387288/2/14 at 9:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by TheNeedMachine
Oh yes - dolfan gave me some hints last time I was down. Didn't find a whole lot but this time Sarasota and Naples are def in the mix. Have an ex- down there on San Marco who doesn't hate me so would be nice to get back and see some folks...and thrift (I lived all around FL for 18 yrs on and off - hadn't been there for 10+ yrs and a LOT has changed).
No doubt. I grew up in a small beach town whose main road was still made of dirt for the first few years of my life (late '80s). I still remember being ecstatic when our first Barnes & Noble opened.Quote:
If you ever tire of that...
Congrats to Spoo on his recent grail acquisition in the form of JL Chapels. I just picked up a grail shoe of my own FINALLY
BNIB!post #110925 of 1387288/2/14 at 10:28pm
This thread is locked
- The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
- Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 1 minute ago
- › 2016 50 Book Challenge 1 minute ago
- › The Look goes on... 5 minutes ago
- › Sartorial Leather Jackets by Craftsman Clothing - Official... 9 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 15 minutes ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 16 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 17 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 17 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 18 minutes ago
- › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations 19 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...