or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 8

post #106 of 112313
I was there last week,as they were part of my grid of places,but nothing of interest there.Unless you seek used Brooks Brothers or Southwick suits for $85-125.,but then again,many thrift stores have them for much less.
post #107 of 112313
Thread Starter 
Today's haul: two Chester Barrie suits in 40R or 40S (haven't measured, they are borderline) - 2b, double vent, one in hard worsted navy pinstripe and one in softer worsted muted tan check (glen plaid-ish). Navy one in great shape, tan one a little more well used and has some small spots on the pants I think I can get out. If not, it will become store credit, or maybe someone will want the jacket for odd use. These actually might fit me once altered. Also, one pair old Church's wingtip bals in burgundy, based on the wrinkling might be cordovan, but more likely Church's bookbinder leather, in quite good shape. Broken in, but soles barely worn. Size approx. 12.5C? I need to measure these somehow. Not to mention the priceless 20 minute break from horrendous traffic this thrift excursion afforded me.
post #108 of 112313
Nice Haul,J. I've scoured the local shops and have come up with a nice pair of Alden Shell cordovan captoe brogues in Burgundy.Just my size,very comfy.Not too much in Suits/sportcoats lately.I found a great pair of superb Robert Talbott dress shirts.i had a beautiful Borrelli shirt in my hands,but it had a huge inkspot in the breast pocket,which had dry cleaning tags,so it looked like it wouldn't budge.I checked,and it went through the cloth into the body of the shirt, elimintaing the possibility of removing the breast pocket.
post #109 of 112313
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Nice Haul,J. I've scoured the local shops and have come up with a nice pair of Alden Shell cordovan captoe brogues in Burgundy.Just my size,very comfy.Not too much in Suits/sportcoats lately.I found a great pair of superb Robert Talbott dress shirts.i had a beautiful Borrelli shirt in my hands,but it had a huge inkspot in the breast pocket,which had dry cleaning tags,so it looked like it wouldn't budge.I checked,and it went through the cloth into the body of the shirt, elimintaing the possibility of removing the breast pocket.
Nice on the shoes. For that Borrelli, I would pick it up and take its buttons to put on another shirt.
post #110 of 112313
Quote:
Today's haul: two Chester Barrie suits in 40R or 40S (haven't measured, they are borderline) - 2b, double vent, one in hard worsted navy pinstripe and one in softer worsted muted tan check (glen plaid-ish). Navy one in great shape, tan one a little more well used and has some small spots on the pants I think I can get out. If not, it will become store credit, or maybe someone will want the jacket for odd use. These actually might fit me once altered. Also, one pair old Church's wingtip bals in burgundy, based on the wrinkling might be cordovan, but more likely Church's bookbinder leather, in quite good shape. Broken in, but soles barely worn. Size approx. 12.5C? I need to measure these somehow. Not to mention the priceless 20 minute break from horrendous traffic this thrift excursion afforded me.
damn, j...what do you do with all this stuff?
post #111 of 112313
Thread Starter 
Quote:
damn, j...what do you do with all this stuff?
I am stockpiling it all in preparation for the downfall of civilized society that will be known as "Black Casual Friday". After the apocalypse, everyone will need suits and I will be the only one who has such a selection. In truth, I plan to sell it all at some point. Everything that doesn't fit me, a friend or a family member will have to go - it's just a matter of going through the hassle of either putting it all up on ebay or listing it on here.
post #112 of 112313
Isn't it obvious? He spreads every day's haul on his floor and rolls around laughing gleefully.
post #113 of 112313
Quote:
"Black Casual Friday".
im not sure you can wear black to work though... maybe someone should post a thread on that
post #114 of 112313
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Quote:
(j @ June 10 2005,13:01) "Black Casual Friday".
im not sure you can wear black to work though... maybe someone should post a thread on that
Yeah, did we ever get a definitive answer? I mean... IS black suit an appropriate business attire?
post #115 of 112313
the only way that thread could have gotten uglier was if kabbaz showed up with michael douglas and an affadavit
post #116 of 112313
Quote:
Anyone know if Keezer's in Cambridge, Mass. is still any good for quality togs?
No, there is nothing of worth there these days - you would do much better going to one of the consignment shops on Newbury Street, several of which have a discount system, much lie Filene's basement. Keezers is good for Naldini style tuxedos these days, is all. And a higher than Ebay prices to boot.
post #117 of 112313
Quote:
Quote:
(Horace @ June 09 2005,00:21) Anyone know if Keezer's in Cambridge, Mass. is still any good for quality togs?
No, there is nothing of worth there these days - you would do much better going to one of the consignment shops on Newbury Street, several of which have a discount system, much lie Filene's basement.   Keezers is good for Naldini style tuxedos these days, is all.  And a higher than Ebay prices to boot.
Ah, poor Keezers. Used to be the place where you could sell your clothes mid term and buy them back the next. A lot of old Rogers Peet stuff to be found then...
post #118 of 112313
Quote:
Quote:
(LA Guy @ June 10 2005,14:02)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace,June 09 2005,00:21
Anyone know if Keezer's in Cambridge, Mass. is still any good for quality togs?
No, there is nothing of worth there these days - you would do much better going to one of the consignment shops on Newbury Street, several of which have a discount system, much lie Filene's basement.   Keezers is good for Naldini style tuxedos these days, is all.  And a higher than Ebay prices to boot.
Ah, poor Keezers.  Used to be the place where you could sell your clothes mid term and buy them back the next.  A lot of old Rogers Peet stuff to be found then...
Yea,those were the days.I remember finding glorious bespoke Anderson & Sheppard suits (with some professer's name inside the breast pocket)-- for under $100.00.. Them days are long gone,friends.
post #119 of 112313
So... Today J and I were wandering around, and he suggested that we go to a thrift store near where we happened to be at, one that he rarely goes to. Its a small place, in the mall no less, and I've never really found anything exciting in there. UNTIL TODAY J was distracted by some overpriced (for a thrift store) suits and a fairly decent selection of dress shirts, I happened to notice the shoe rack. (dramatic music) out of the like seven pairs of mens shoes that were there, I saw these babies poking out. inside of the shoe on the ankle, it says 10/10 1/2 E-202 37694 They show very little wear, and appear to be in excellent shape. Anyone want to clue me in as to how much these should go for, If I ever decide to part with them. (they do fit me rather nicely) My first pair of real dress shoes... I guess EG's aren't a bad place to start. Plus, the price was right. Upon examining the EG site, they appear to be Chelsea's in the 202 last.
post #120 of 112313
If they are in as nice a condition as they appear, then $299 on ebay, maybe more if you write a good auction.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread