or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 6986

post #104776 of 117932

ok, shop counts....   I have 8 stores in 10 miles.   you guys?  :nest:

post #104777 of 117932
Quote:
Originally Posted by size 38R View Post
 

ok, shop counts....   I have 8 stores in 10 miles.   you guys?  :nest:

Do you live in MY territory too? Looks like it.

 

Have Cessna, will thrift.

post #104778 of 117932
Quote:
Originally Posted by size 38R View Post
 

ok, shop counts....   I have 8 stores in 10 miles.   you guys?  :nest:

10 miles radius....hmm 9 stores, but 7 of them combined would make one crappy Goodwill. The next closest store outside of those is a 45 minute drive. If you want to thrift in this area, you have to be ready to travel.

post #104779 of 117932
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post
 

Do you live in MY territory too? Looks like it.

 

Have Cessna, will thrift.


You are gonna need some extra avgas. :lol:   but my thrifts are like ebay in 3D. all grails, and priced as such.   hard to grab a bargain.

 

get good deals on Avirex though. like that stuff.:embar: 

 

Edit: will travel for tweed.

post #104780 of 117932

KenP  check your inbox......

 

 

 

edit: WES, first guy to thrift a functioning plane wins. :stirpot: 

as we can't agree on a cool car. but a plane?  -winner.

 

i'm on it.

 

something like this.....

 

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1945-CULVER-V-AIRPLANE-N44539-/321401873885?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4ad50b65dd&item=321401873885&pt=Motors_Aircraft


Edited by size 38R - 5/15/14 at 6:46am
post #104781 of 117932
I'm Indian, you guys sure you want me to try to buy a plane. I can already tell you what will happen.
post #104782 of 117932
Quote:
Originally Posted by size 38R View Post
 

KenP  check your inbox......

 

 

 

edit: WES, first guy to thrift a functioning plane wins. :stirpot: 

as we can't agree on a cool car. but a plane?  -winner.

 

i'm on it.

 

something like this.....

 

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1945-CULVER-V-AIRPLANE-N44539-/321401873885?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4ad50b65dd&item=321401873885&pt=Motors_Aircraft

I win already....

 

I thrifted one of THESE recently, essentially making all my planes thrifted.

post #104783 of 117932
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

I'm Indian, you guys sure you want me to try to buy a plane. I can already tell you what will happen.

it will be brightly colored, and smell of star anise?    and have beaded seat covers?    - :hide: 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post
 

I win already....

 

I thrifted one of THESE recently, essentially making all my planes thrifted.

wrong plane, first to fly (fitpic) in their own plane in the air wins.  no hurry.

 

 

a friend sent me a fit pic from a "Cobra" helicopter.  but i can't post it. :brick:


Edited by size 38R - 5/15/14 at 7:14am
post #104784 of 117932
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFlash View Post
 

 

Doesn't matter much what they look like. It's all about the feel. Press on various parts of the sole with your thumbs. If they are firm, then the soles are good. If they are spongy, they are about to go. If they are spongy, however, they still may be worth purchasing. If the uppers are in good shape, you like them, and they fit you well, you can always get the soles replaced. 


Thanks a lot! Everything feels firm, I would hate to get the sole replaced because I heard it costs as much as getting a pair of new shoes.

post #104785 of 117932
Poke at the sole with a pen or something hard to see how much it gives. I (nerdily) made a video about this here: http://texareblog.com/post/74231863033/penny-loafer-blowout-i-recently-picked-up-some.
post #104786 of 117932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erichmax View Post


Thanks a lot! Everything feels firm, I would hate to get the sole replaced because I heard it costs as much as getting a pair of new shoes.

This can be true, but a topy usually costs like 20-25. Lasts for a long time too.
post #104787 of 117932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erichmax View Post


Thanks a lot! Everything feels firm, I would hate to get the sole replaced because I heard it costs as much as getting a pair of new shoes.

 

Depends on the quality of the resole job and depends on how much the shoe retailed for to begin with. The B. Nelson resole package (new soles, heels, cork footbeds - all of equal or higher quality than the originals), a really top notch cobbler, only runs you $90. That's much less than an entry level pair of real dress shoes. You also might want to consider going to your local cobbler and get them to apply a topy, which is basically a thin layer of rubber. This way, when you wear the shoes, you wear the rubber, not the leather sole.  

post #104788 of 117932
Be safe Cali folks!
post #104789 of 117932
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelntrigger View Post
 

Local boys, Tuesday, I was driving on 85 N and saw a SUV was caught on fire on 85 S in San Jose, near Taylor St. exit. The entire car was flamed up and the fire spreed to the near by vegetations. It was the craziest high way fire I've seen. You could see the smoke from a mile away.

Thats crazy.  Few years back I witnessed something similar to a vehicle when traveling south going through the grapevine.
post #104790 of 117932
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilay05 View Post

6!!! Count em! Could have gotten more but 2 had slight pulls! NWT Hermes was from a store that I wasn't even going to go to that day, but stopped there because I went the wrong way and decided why the heck not.

That's crazy man. Congrats.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread