or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The most beautiful watch, ever
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The most beautiful watch, ever - Page 2

post #16 of 131
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
- B
That is close, but I think the VC is better - the dial layout and proportions and the mix of printing and applied Cross combine with the hands for a perfect face. Your JLC looks a lot more like the flagship VC Patrimony.
post #17 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
I usually hate those indicators as well, but the design of the watch is so perfect.

What about the Grande Date? It ditches both and is mechanically the same otherwise. Same case and display back. If I can sell my Big Pilot any time soon, I may get one in steel:

post #18 of 131


post #19 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
What about the Grande Date? It ditches both and is mechanically the same otherwise. Same case and display back. If I can sell my Big Pilot any time soon, I may get one in steel:


Make sure you try it on (if you haven't already). XGT proportions don't work for everyone
post #20 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by awxg View Post






- B
post #21 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
Make sure you try it on (if you haven't already). XGT proportions don't work for everyone

I've tried it on a few times. I normally wear a Portuguese, though, so I think it will be fine.

I was fine with the Big Pilot, after all.
post #22 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
I was fine with the Big Pilot, after all.
I'm not just talking about the thickness. I'm also fine with my Big Pilot but I had to sell my RGD after a few weeks. Couldn't stand the proportions.
post #23 of 131
The VC and vox JLC are great dress watches, IMO.

I really like that they don't have seconds hands. For whatever reason, I don't think it can be a true dress watch if it has a seconds hands (even though it might otherwise be a great looking watch).

I've considered going out and finding an older model, as all the ones I like today have a really high premium, IMO. Especially for how few occasions I would want a true dress watch.

Longines has one that is similar but feels just a bit off.
post #24 of 131
My grail watch



post #25 of 131
I looked at these:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post
That is close, but I think the VC is better - the dial layout and proportions and the mix of printing and applied Cross combine with the hands for a perfect face.



When I bought this:

Quote:
Your JLC looks a lot more like the flagship VC Patrimony.

I don't care about movements much, but to my eye, the Patrimony just has better proportions. The flat one you like is really nice, but didn't look good on my wrist. Lange I love, but find that they make much more elegant watches for cases than for wrists.
post #26 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
I don't care about movements much, but to my eye, the Patrimony just has better proportions. The flat one you like is really nice, but didn't look good on my wrist. Lange I love, but find that they make much more elegant watches for cases than for wrists.

I like yours better, too. The lugs are more gracefully integrated with the case. I hate funky lugs.
post #27 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Unfortunately, the platinum version will also take $110k out of your pocket. But the good news is that the gold one sells for a measly $80k.

OUCH.

I would classify myself as not a watch guy, but beginning to take a passing interest. Still, I can't imagine any scenario in which I'd spring that much for a watch.
post #28 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
I would classify myself as not a watch guy, but beginning to take a passing interest. Still, I can't imagine any scenario in which I'd spring that much for a watch.

The regular 7-days Portuguese sells for ~$7k in steel. I think it has one of the most beautiful and perfect dial layouts around. "Look, Ma! No cut-off numerals!"

post #29 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
I like yours better, too. The lugs are more gracefully integrated with the case. I hate funky lugs.
I would have thought the opposite, based on your furniture tastes - there is something a bit more bauhaus-inspired in the first one's lugs
post #30 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
I would have thought the opposite, based on your furniture tastes - there is something a bit more bauhaus-inspired in the first one's lugs

To me, the watch case is a more simple form when the lugs are not so visually distinct.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The most beautiful watch, ever