• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levis 501 new fit

intelintel37

Reaction score
I went to the levis store today and found that they have replaced most of their older 501s with newer 501s which has different tag design on the back pocket and has "501" tag stiched on the inside of the waist. I tried these on and I like the fit much better than the older fit. Because I usually wear my jeans snug, it felt like they wear completely different jean(similar to 514s). The salesperson told me that the newer one should have slightly lower rise and slightly slimmer leg. He emphasized slight but it didn't feel that way to me. Have any of you tried it?

thereverend

Reaction score
I have been wondering about this myself- there is a post called something like "all things levi's" or something of that sort. I guess they changed the cut to the 1947 cut. Did you try on the shrink to fit (not that the sizing would be right before shrinking)? I have been trying to figure out if the STF cut changed along with the new "global blues" models.

CoconutBanana

Reaction score
From everything I'm hearing I don't believe they changed the STFs to the new cut yet.

Halcyon

Reaction score
I talked to a Levis rep on the phone today, since I'm interested in these myself, and he told me the new STF 501s have been available since July this year. They have a lower rise and are slimmer throughout the leg. He also said that the only way to tell the difference is by trying them on, and that some stores might not even have the new cut yet, and if they do, they're probably mixed around with the old cut.

Doppler4000

Reaction score
I wonder why they did this----- maybe the 514's were selling better and they wanted some more of that attention for the more classic 501 line.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
^^^
the cut/details have changed at least once a decade for the past 150+ years.

intelintel37

Reaction score
Yes I tried on the stf as well but because the sizes were humongous, it was hard to tell whether the fit on these were slimmer. But from the looks of it, it had the newer tag designs so I'm think it's fair to assume that it is newer fit, but I could be wrong. It would be nice to hear from someone who've actually tried this. As for me, I didn't want to take the risk (dreaded blue bath tub..!), so I just settled with preshrunk one and it fits great!

intelintel37

Reaction score
yeah it seemed like they have a good mix of old and new versions. Because the tag designs are significantly different, I don't think people will have trouble distinguishing between them, so people should be able to choose the version that they like, although the turnover might be faster than expected. I went to Macy's today and they had a significant portion of the stock in new style already. I overheard the salesperson saying that they hope the older ones will eventually phase out and get replaced with the new style, which I assume is the reason why that they're not making any noticeable announcement.

KimboIsLegit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intelintel37
yeah it seemed like they have a good mix of old and new versions. Because the tag designs are significantly different, I don't think people will have trouble distinguishing between them, so people should be able to choose the version that they like, although the turnover might be faster than expected. I went to Macy's today and they had a significant portion of the stock in new style already. I overheard the salesperson saying that they hope the older ones will eventually phase out and get replaced with the new style, which I assume is the reason why that they're not making any noticeable announcement.

What do the new tags look like?

intelintel37

Reaction score
you can find it on levisstore.com just click on one of the 501 pics and look at the waist area. It says 501 on it. Older ones doesn't have this.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really interesting information, thanks. A couple months ago I picked up some gray wash 501s at Macy's then had the lower block tapered a bit by my tailor. They've become one of my favorite jeans rivalling (almost) my KMW 1980s. But in the back of my mind I kept saying, 501s never fit like this before, what happened? I just checked, the back tag is there. Cool!

CoconutBanana

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intelintel37
See attached pic

Hmm if those are the new 501STF apparently I've had a brand new black pair for 2months with the tag still on them without realizing it don't i feel stupid
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads