or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 666

post #9976 of 18602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post

Christ... it's like being there.
I hate the 'age' thing.
Some of these burds are grannies now. nod[1].gif

The interesting bit I find,is the length of Trousers(of the Suits).That was about the Length I had mine done(especially the one with the "Gucci Style" Shoes).Never wore mine shorter-only the Cotton Trousers or the "Greens".I do not know where the "Revivalists" get their notion from,that Suit Trousers were really short.Maybe when the "Off The Peg" Suits started to appear.

Watford,Streatham,Hammersmith,Purley all had Cloakrooms,but they also had a thriving "Tea Leaf" Community as well.I was lucky,but I know of People that had Coats nicked(more Crombies than anything) from each of these Dancehalls.The Girls were not immune either.
post #9977 of 18602
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBackAndSides View Post

It is just a little bit further East than Middlesex Street, Cheshire Street is off Brick Lane. Been in there a few times. Chaos on a Sunday morning in that shop. Anyone know if it is the same lot that make these boots http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blackmans-Brogue-Dealer-Boots-Burnish-Tan-Airsole-7-11-/220907079919?pt=UK_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item336f1688ef

yes, looks like it is the same company according to this:


Blackmans really had very humble beginnings, its roots starting in London's East-end, selling boots to the working man on the outskirts of the city. Steadily it became synonymous with mods, rockers and punks as generations of trend-setters came in search of dealer boots, lace up officer boots and air soles.
http://www.blackmansfootwear.co.uk/catalog/about_us.php?osCsid=e2182a6ed5e3e2d0881741013b42c059
post #9978 of 18602
Quote:
Originally Posted by ek77 View Post

yes, looks like it is the same company according to this:
Blackmans really had very humble beginnings, its roots starting in London's East-end, selling boots to the working man on the outskirts of the city. Steadily it became synonymous with mods, rockers and punks as generations of trend-setters came in search of dealer boots, lace up officer boots and air soles.
http://www.blackmansfootwear.co.uk/catalog/about_us.php?osCsid=e2182a6ed5e3e2d0881741013b42c059

its funny that they dont mentioned skinheads... shog[1].gif
post #9979 of 18602
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

Watford,Streatham,Hammersmith,Purley all had Cloakrooms,but they also had a thriving "Tea Leaf" Community as well.I was lucky,but I know of People that had Coats nicked(more Crombies than anything) from each of these Dancehalls.The Girls were not immune either.

I never recall any instance of people wearing their overcoats, or carrying them round inside the big dance halls though.
post #9980 of 18602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian View Post

I never recall any instance of people wearing their overcoats, or carrying them round inside the big dance halls though.

Back then places like the Tottenham Royal, Top Rank Watford, and The Lyceum...you could leave your coats without a problem.
post #9981 of 18602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian View Post

I never recall any instance of people wearing their overcoats, or carrying them round inside the big dance halls though.

That is true Kingstonian,but sometimes the Girl would leave the Cloakroom unattended(go to the Ladies),this happened in Streatham or a member of Staff was working"in league".This one happened at the Hammersmith Palais.As I said,I was ok.This happened more in `68/`69 than later-when the cheaper versions came out.Nobody wanted the "copies"....smile.gif
post #9982 of 18602
Or,which was more regular,you mislaid your Ticket and had to wait until the end-only to find your Coat had gone.
post #9983 of 18602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian View Post

I never recall any instance of people wearing their overcoats, or carrying them round inside the big dance halls though.
Always handy to have someone - a bird, or a mate who didn't dance - in charge of the coats.

I never danced, so sometimes it was me. But...

... we were peacocks. If you turned up somewhere dodgy - and most gaffes could be - in schmutter that was the mutt's nuts... why take it off and have it lifted?

As I've mentioned previously, I had a good 'antique' leather - not branded - trucker jacket nicked while I played football in a park... I was never going to have a decent coat robbed again.

Never had a sheepie (too expensive for me, then), but had decent macs and crombies that were too good to go walkabout.

(Cloakroom staff (usually their birds/sisters etc) often worked paw-in paw- with doormen and, if you made a fuss about a missing smother, you could go home minus a few teeth, too.)
post #9984 of 18602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post

Always handy to have someone - a bird, or a mate who didn't dance - in charge of the coats.
I never danced, so sometimes it was me. But...
... we were peacocks. If you turned up somewhere dodgy - and most gaffes could be - in schmutter that was the mutt's nuts... why take it off and have it lifted?
As I've mentioned previously, I had a good 'antique' leather - not branded - trucker jacket nicked while I played football in a park... I was never going to have a decent coat robbed again.
Never had a sheepie (too expensive for me, then), but had decent macs and crombies that were too good to go walkabout.
(Cloakroom staff (usually their birds/sisters etc) often worked paw-in paw- with doormen and, if you made a fuss about a missing smother, you could go home minus a few teeth, too.)


Lasttye,I used to visit a Girl who lived in Rickmansworth.On the second or third visit to the Watford Top Rank,she had a new Coat nicked.The reason why I remembered this, was the Coat was a Birthday Present and she became very upset.i had the task of consoling her.No Dancehall was immune to the Coat nicking.Even in the 70s(when I started on the Door)it was going on and I worked at more than one Mecca.

Interesting comment about the Door Staff,Ed.In most of the Clubs,the Bouncers were on a scam or two.In smaller ones I have known the Doormen to be actively involved in the Drug Pushing.Either doing it themselves or knowing a Pusher who would give a Percentage.This started in the 50s/60s.In the Dancehalls if you had a weak Manager,the Doorman ruled.In Mecca,the dating between Staff was frowned upon-though the Manager would have his "Pick" and it went on regardless.smile.gif
post #9985 of 18602
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

i had the task of consoling her.

Oh. What. A. Shame. smile.gif
post #9986 of 18602
Today's youngsters are a hardier breed. Nobody wears a coat to go clubbing. Shirtsleeve order in all weathers, skimpy dress for the girls.
post #9987 of 18602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian View Post

Today's youngsters are a hardier breed. Nobody wears a coat to go clubbing. Shirtsleeve order in all weathers, skimpy dress for the girls.

I know.When I see the young Ladies wearing their short Dresses etc.(even when it is snowing),it brings a warm glow to me.

But then I am a dirty old man!!!! biggrin.gif
post #9988 of 18602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post

Oh. What. A. Shame. smile.gif


It took a lot of compassion......smile.gif
post #9989 of 18602

Page 666 - the Devil -  thats a spooky page to be on for xmas - come on guys lets gets some postings and get off it !!

post #9990 of 18602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces and Eights View Post

Page 666 - the Devil -  thats a spooky page to be on for xmas - come on guys lets gets some postings and get off it !!

What do you think might happen if we were still on 666?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead