or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 652

post #9766 of 18950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post

FYI: Jamaica, reggae and Clarks shoes - BBC2 last night.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mk25

Which probably explains these *cough* little beauties...
http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/20352099?cm_mmc=gbase-_-a-_-b-_-c&kpid=20352099
post #9767 of 18950
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiser93 View Post

Thanks, this is a good price. Anybody here have their donkey jacket? Since it's coming overseas I may grab one of those as well to save on shipping. Are they a looser fit or fairly slim looking on an average build?

Looked at that shop, gonna have to visit it when I'm over there in the New Year. Not sure if they're still around but A.P.C. put out a donkey jacket with an actual leather(not PVC) shoulder yoke. Got mine in the sales last year for well over 1/2 RRP through their site. Nice fit, good materials, though unlined. Warm as a layering piece and definitely looks the part.
Just took a cursory look around the web, they were down to $180 from a rrp of $650!
I like mine a lot, though I may sew some acetate/bemberg in the sleeves to ease donning/doffing it.
I'd trawl eBay if interested; it's the best donkey jacket I've ever owned.
post #9768 of 18950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure_Drop View Post

Which probably explains these *cough* little beauties...
http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/20352099?cm_mmc=gbase-_-a-_-b-_-c&kpid=20352099

"Rude Boys Love Clarks",love that little Line.smile.gif
post #9769 of 18950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post

FYI: Jamaica, reggae and Clarks shoes - BBC2 last night.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mk25

Thanks for dat Ed.Dennis Alcapone too.Got 2 grease(from pizza)spots on my Clarks.Tryin dishwashing detergent to remove.Hope it works.

post #9770 of 18950
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiser93 View Post

Thanks, this is a good price. Anybody here have their donkey jacket? Since it's coming overseas I may grab one of those as well to save on shipping. Are they a looser fit or fairly slim looking on an average build?

Donkey jackets are a workwear item, so never slim fit. Function over fashion.

Interesting that an American would like them when Brits go mad for Carrhart and similar US stuff. I always thought donkey jackets were sound, honest clothing though they do have a bit of a Billy Bragg image in the UK now.

I would go for a plain one without the vinyl shoulders.
post #9771 of 18950

Nice little pic, forget the one on the right.

Shoes appear to be loafers, possibly with basketweave top? and an unbuttoned bd check shirt, was this a common thing to do?

post #9772 of 18950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basset View Post

Nice little pic, forget the one on the right.
Shoes appear to be loafers, possibly with basketweave top? and an unbuttoned bd check shirt, was this a common thing to do?

Around `70,the trend for unbuttoning the Collars started.I used to wear my BS like that,with a V Neck Jumper.It paved the way for Deeper and Penny Collars.The Loafers came out on the back of the Solatio popularity.
post #9773 of 18950

John Leo Waters : Hard Mods,Did they really exist?                  http://www.themodgeneration.co.uk/2011/09/hard-mods.html

post #9774 of 18950
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankmod View Post

John Leo Waters : Hard Mods,Did they really exist?                  http://www.themodgeneration.co.uk/2011/09/hard-mods.html

"Hard Mods" was another Label a Journalist made up(like Skinhead).This came out in the 70s.John Leo Waters is another Mod,who like Jeff Dexter,were about before my time.Mods came in two ways.You had one side who went to Clubs(on their own-but knew People there) dressed very smart every week and lived the life of Mod.They would have a Bedsit in a fashionable Area to look good.Pete Meaden(who managed the Who first)was a classic example.Mods like John Leo Waters would go around with a few Mates.He was no less a Mod,but their outlook was slightly different-to the Scene.They were not pretentious.If you read his Story you will get to know what I mean.People like him dismiss the next wave of Mods(which is where I came in),as a sort of Anti-Christ.We made it more popular,we visited places like Carnaby Street etc.We liked Bands such as the Small Faces,The Who etc.But we kept the Mod Ethos alive.smile.gif
post #9775 of 18950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post

Not a great look but here I am, early '69, suede shoe/mini boot and braces... and the hair was due a cut.

Couldn't afford a suede jacket but had a 'surfer' jacket-type thing, if i recall.
Come on, I was still at school... shog[1].gif

Okay, I'll buy it. Why are you standing half-naked by a dart board?
post #9776 of 18950
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankmod View Post

Thanks for dat Ed.Dennis Alcapone too.Got 2 grease(from pizza)spots on my Clarks.Tryin dishwashing detergent to remove.Hope it works.

Me and Mr Alcapone....

post #9777 of 18950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post

Okay, I'll buy it. Why are you standing half-naked by a dart board?
Jimmy Savile was making me do it!!! uhoh.gif

It was a hot summer in '69, and I was washing cars to get some cash... for a shirt by the looks of it. satisfied.gif
post #9778 of 18950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure_Drop View Post

Me and Mr Alcapone....
... and which one is you? happy.gif
post #9779 of 18950
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankmod View Post

Thanks for dat Ed.Dennis Alcapone too.Got 2 grease(from pizza)spots on my Clarks.Tryin dishwashing detergent to remove.Hope it works.

If that fails, some dry-cleaners are equipped to deal with suede.
post #9780 of 18950
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankmod View Post

John Leo Waters : Hard Mods,Did they really exist?                  http://www.themodgeneration.co.uk/2011/09/hard-mods.html

 

Interesting piece - thanks

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead