or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 634

post #9496 of 19300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post

Good grief... I remember those t-shirts with stars on!
Remember them - I'm still wearing mine! (I wish, nowaday I'd have to sew two together.) nod[1].gif
post #9497 of 19300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post

Good grief... I remember those t-shirts with stars on!

When you think of it only a couple of years earlier these lads would have been hard looking Skinheads, look at them now, biggrin.gif
Where did it all go wrong,biggrin.gif
post #9498 of 19300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post

When you think of it only a couple of years earlier these lads would have been hard looking Skinheads, look at them now, biggrin.gif
Where did it all go wrong,biggrin.gif
I blame Adam Faith and his 'Budgie' persona. satisfied.gif
post #9499 of 19300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post


When you think of it only a couple of years earlier these lads would have been hard looking Skinheads, look at them now, biggrin.gif
Where did it all go wrong,biggrin.gif

Most people are just dumb sheep who follow the trends.The 70's was awful(style wise)Thank god for Punk rock and the destruction(albeit short lived)of the idea that fashion and style is what you get at the Mall.

post #9500 of 19300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post

I blame Adam Faith and his 'Budgie' persona. satisfied.gif

Yep agree, It was Marc Bolan, Rod Stewart, Budgie, I remember my then Girlfriend brought around Ride A White Swan T Rex, that was the beginning of the end of Skinheads.
post #9501 of 19300

Found this website British Pathe.Lots of great old news footage etc.   http://www.britishpathe.com/video/hastings-rocks-the-mods/query/hastings+modssomething

post #9502 of 19300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post

I blame Adam Faith and his 'Budgie' persona. satisfied.gif

We thought we looked smart,in the beginning, with Longer Hair,wearing Patterned Shirts-with Mohair Trousers(Smooths) but then it lost its way,and ended up looking nearer Hippies` style.Thankfully other Styles came later to smarten up. smile.gif

Yankmod,Punk was contrived(ok,in the very beginning you had Teenagers setting the Pace)with Vivian Westwood etc.,jumping on the Bandwagon.
post #9503 of 19300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post

Yep agree, It was Marc Bolan, Rod Stewart, Budgie, I remember my then Girlfriend brought around Ride A White Swan T Rex, that was the beginning of the end of Skinheads.
I did love that programme though, Roy.

Budgie was what many of us thought you cokernee satisfied.gif boys were... duckers and divers - with a cheeky attitude. (Obviously never met Millwall!!!) happy.gif

It's still available on the web - think youtube has some - if not, when I'm on my other machine I'll post the link.
post #9504 of 19300
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

We thought we looked smart,in the beginning, with Longer Hair,wearing Patterned Shirts-with Mohair Trousers(Smooths) but then it lost its way,and ended up looking nearer Hippies` style.Thankfully other Styles came later to smarten up. smile.gif
Yankmod,Punk was contrived(ok,in the very beginning you had Teenagers setting the Pace)with Vivian Westwood etc.,jumping on the Bandwagon.
Coco the bleedin' clown had/has more fashion sense and style. IMHO, of course. satisfied.gif
post #9505 of 19300
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post


We thought we looked smart,in the beginning, with Longer Hair,wearing Patterned Shirts-with Mohair Trousers(Smooths) but then it lost its way,and ended up looking nearer Hippies` style.Thankfully other Styles came later to smarten up. smile.gif
Yankmod,Punk was contrived(ok,in the very beginning you had Teenagers setting the Pace)with Vivian Westwood etc.,jumping on the Bandwagon.

I was 10 in 76 when I discovered the NYC CBGB's scene(played there many times in the 80's a shithole)and 11 when I discovered the Brit punk scene.I realize you Originals don't give a shit about punk but,the point I was making was it was(at the start)An individual style,thrift store style.Folks wore what they wanted cause they had no money.By 81 Indie rock began(hipsters the media calls us now)And all the Oi punks etc.were way passe.In those early days Hipsters also wore what they wanted.There were 50's 60's and by 87 or so 70's styles being apropriated.30 years after it started Indie rock and Hipster styles are just a cliche.Most of it is retro 80's rehash.But it came from the DIY ethic of Punk and Punk came from everything before it including skinhead.I realize Punk was in antithesis of your Smart Style(you guys wouldn't wear old clothes with holes in them)But I don't want to be told what my style should be,not by the fashion mags,the Gap,the Mall stores,Urban Outfitters or anyone for that matter.I'm interested in culture of all kinds(my mom was English/Swedish American and my dad is from Cuba,escaped Oct.21 1962 for those of you who know your history,a very impotant date)I am partial to subcultures that revolve around music and art,the clothes are not that important just interesting reflections of the asthetic,Being a musician(since i'm 8)The music associated with subcultures is of interest.Don't talk to me like I'm some kid who don't know nothin.I've humbled myself to yooz in the name of education,but that don't mean I don't know nothin.Give and take and flexibility is what creativity is about.I'm not a wanker,I've made records,toured the US and Canada several times and been in my fair share of Magazines(like the very first SPIN magazine Sept.85)and newspapers.I could get all pissy like a Know it all but thats unattractive.I grew up and went to school in the Bay State(Massachusetts)Moved to Brooklyn when I was 16.They have a name for people from Mass.Massholes and I'm one of the biggest(maybe the best) Take it or Leave it.

post #9506 of 19300
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankmod View Post

I was 10 in 76 when I discovered the NYC CBGB's scene(played there many times in the 80's a shithole)and 11 when I discovered the Brit punk scene.I realize you Originals don't give a shit about punk but,the point I was making was it was(at the start)An individual style,thrift store style.Folks wore what they wanted cause they had no money.By 81 Indie rock began(hipsters the media calls us now)And all the Oi punks etc.were way passe.In those early days Hipsters also wore what they wanted.There were 50's 60's and by 87 or so 70's styles being apropriated.30 years after it started Indie rock and Hipster styles are just a cliche.Most of it is retro 80's rehash.But it came from the DIY ethic of Punk and Punk came from everything before it including skinhead.I realize Punk was in antithesis of your Smart Style(you guys wouldn't wear old clothes with holes in them)But I don't want to be told what my style should be,not by the fashion mags,the Gap,the Mall stores,Urban Outfitters or anyone for that matter.I'm interested in culture of all kinds(my mom was English/Swedish American and my dad is from Cuba,escaped Oct.21 1962 for those of you who know your history,a very impotant date)I am partial to subcultures that revolve around music and art,the clothes are not that important just interesting reflections of the asthetic,Being a musician(since i'm 8)The music associated with subcultures is of interest.Don't talk to me like I'm some kid who don't know nothin.I've humbled myself to yooz in the name of education,but that don't mean I don't know nothin.Give and take and flexibility is what creativity is about.I'm not a wanker,I've made records,toured the US and Canada several times and been in my fair share of Magazines(like the very first SPIN magazine Sept.85)and newspapers.I could get all pissy like a Know it all but thats unattractive.I grew up and went to school in the Bay State(Massachusetts)Moved to Brooklyn when I was 16.They have a name for people from Mass.Massholes and I'm one of the biggest(maybe the best) Take it or Leave it.
I don't believe anyone is having a pop at you, YM, merely imparting information about a time some of us - by knocking against each other - may have forgotten ourselves.

As a new(ish) poster - albeit long time member - this 'place' allows me to, perhaps, exercise the old, grey matter and maybe even stave off the worst excesses of dementia. satisfied.gif

Take it for what it is: just a forum of views and opinions that, like life, we won't all agree or even recognise everything everyone says, being from diverse times and places.

Written communication isn't everyone's bag; the more subtle nuances are often lost or misinterpreted, and I doubt anyone would say that your (usually pretty interesting, IMHO) posts are worth any less than someone who enjoyed the halcyon days of skinhead life in the late Sixties and early Seventies.

Who was it said - and I paraphrase: 'Britain and America - two nations divided by a common language?'
Edited by Ed Vaughan - 11/23/12 at 12:03am
post #9507 of 19300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post

I don't believe anyone is having a pop at you, YM, merely imparting information about a time some of us - by knocking against each other - may have forgotten ourselves.
As a new(ish) poster - albeit long time member - this 'place' allows me to, perhaps, exercise the old, grey matter and maybe even stave off the worst excesses of dementia. satisfied.gif
Take it for what it is: just a forum of views and opinions that, like life, we won't all agree or even recognise, being from diverse times and places.
Written communication isn't everyone's bag; the more subtle nuances are often lost or misinterpreted, and I doubt anyone would say that your (usually pretty interesting, IMHO) posts are worth any less than someone who enjoyed the halcyon days of the late Sixties and early Seventies.
Who was it said - and I paraphrase: 'Britain and America - two nations divided by a common language?'

Ed you are a fucking Mensch(yiddish,a word you all should know) I am a hothead Ed this is for sure.When I go off subject it is to incite discourse.The skinhead subculture didn't and doesn't exist in a vacuum(even if that would be easier.)Alot of the cats on this thread my age came to skinhead thru Punk and  2 tone which I know you guys are not interested in(and thats justifiable)and I know you become frustrated with the same old questions from said Gen X-ers,but you should view it as flattering. I appreciate your mediation Ed, I am an acquired taste.some folks never get use to my abrasive personality.TA

post #9508 of 19300
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankmod View Post

Ed you are a fucking Mensch(yiddish,a word you all should know) I am a hothead Ed this is for sure.When I go off subject it is to incite discourse.The skinhead subculture didn't and doesn't exist in a vacuum(even if that would be easier.)Alot of the cats on this thread my age came to skinhead thru Punk and  2 tone which I know you guys are not interested in(and thats justifiable)and I know you become frustrated with the same old questions from said Gen X-ers,but you should view it as flattering. I appreciate your mediation Ed, I am an acquired taste.some folks never get use to my abrasive personality.TA

Be abrasive as you like yankmod,we can give it as well smile.gif

Just stating what happened in the U.K.
post #9509 of 19300
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post


Be abrasive as you like yankmod,we can give it as well smile.gif
Just stating what happened in the U.K.

Oh I know you fuckers can give it Brownie.Wouldn't want to meet you outside the pub late at night.I'm an instigator,I'm hopin my asides will jog the memory of the originals leading to more stories.Here is a question for Lasttye.You was in the Kilburn mob,is that the same crew wit Danny Eccles?

post #9510 of 19300
Not sure where i got this, now.

1970-'71? - Coppers' helmets make me think 'Midlands'?

LON36819.jpg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead