or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 616

post #9226 of 19264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces and Eights View Post

I can still see an incident where walking through the market one our our lads would always insist on wearing Levis at half mast with shoes and a market trader shouted out "oi ave yer trousers had an argument wiv yer shoes"?  This embarrassment made me cringe as the 40 year old greengrocer was too big to have a go at and you could not give any lip because he would have not hesitated in lobbing a rotten apple / orange at you which would have resulted in further embarrassment.  At 16 you were very sensitive to any embarrassment because we thought we were so  cool and the business.  This is probably why I have always loathed the half mast jeans/trousers with shoes.  The incident just sticks in my head!!

Yes remember that one as well !!!!smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
post #9227 of 19264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces and Eights View Post

I can still see an incident where walking through the market one our our lads would always insist on wearing Levis at half mast with shoes and a market trader shouted out "oi ave yer trousers had an argument wiv yer shoes"?  This embarrassment made me cringe as the 40 year old greengrocer was too big to have a go at and you could not give any lip because he would have not hesitated in lobbing a rotten apple / orange at you which would have resulted in further embarrassment.  At 16 you were very sensitive to any embarrassment because we thought we were so  cool and the business.  This is probably why I have always loathed the half mast jeans/trousers with shoes.  The incident just sticks in my head!!
I think it used to be worse being insulted by little kids with such snipes as 'Why don't you put jam on your shoes and invite your trousers down for tea?' God I used to squirm at that.
post #9228 of 19264
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

Yes remember that one as well !!!!smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

speaking of insults from the general public, I've been called "Urkel" a few times by little kids when I was in school because of the braces, buttondowns and the short trousers. I don't know how familiar you Brits are with American sitcoms, but he was an annoying character from a show called Family Matters which aired from 1989 to 1998. Here's a picture of Urkel. I swear if I didn't know any better I'd say the producers of this show nicked a bit of the skinhead style.

post #9229 of 19264
I would get home sometimes and my Mum would say some of your mates knocked for you, what one's Mum ..i would say, I don,t know you all look the same, dressed up like little old men Mum would say.biggrin.gif
post #9230 of 19264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksideoftheforce View Post

speaking of insults from the general public, I've been called "Urkel" a few times by little kids when I was in school because of the braces, buttondowns and the short trousers. I don't know how familiar you Brits are with American sitcoms, but he was an annoying character from a show called Family Matters which aired from 1989 to 1998. Here's a picture of Urkel. I swear if I didn't know any better I'd say the producers of this show nicked a bit of the skinhead style.

Yes,I remember seeing that Show,and you could be right Darksideoftheforce. smile.gif
post #9231 of 19264
When I first had my Hair done(No.4),my Father said "All you need now is a bloody number".He had been on to me for months,to get my Hair cut. smile.gif
post #9232 of 19264

' Do you want some fruit to go with that Bowl ' was another jibe the old fellas would chuck at you.

post #9233 of 19264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post

I would get home sometimes and my Mum would say some of your mates knocked for you, what one's Mum ..i would say, I don,t know you all look the same, dressed up like little old men Mum would say.biggrin.gif
Priceless! happy.gif
post #9234 of 19264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure_Drop View Post

I think it used to be worse being insulted by little kids with such snipes as 'Why don't you put jam on your shoes and invite your trousers down for tea?' God I used to squirm at that.

On the terraces the greebos (fellow fans) used to chant at us:

'Skinhead, skinhead over there,
what's it like with no hair?
Is it hot or is it cold?
I don't know cos I'm not bald.'
post #9235 of 19264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure_Drop View Post

On the terraces the greebos (fellow fans) used to chant at us:
'Skinhead, skinhead over there,
what's it like with no hair?
Is it hot or is it cold?
I don't know cos I'm not bald.'
D'you remember certain 'big' clubs had a fair amount of greebos even when skins were taking over the world?

Ones that come to mind - circa '69/70 - were Stoke, and Forest; yet others, from around the same Midlands area, like Derby and Coventry embraced the new regime.

And the Birmingham clubs all seemed to go for the skin look, as did clubs in Liverpool, Manchester and even Newcastle.

Or am I being selectively bigoted??
post #9236 of 19264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post

D'you remember certain 'big' clubs had a fair amount of greebos even when skins were taking over the world?
Ones that come to mind - circa '69/70 - were Stoke, and Forest; yet others, from around the same Midlands area, like Derby and Coventry embraced the new regime.
And the Birmingham clubs all seemed to go for the skin look, as did clubs in Liverpool, Manchester and even Newcastle.
Or am I being selectively bigoted??

For obvious reasons it always seemed the London clubs had the biggest following of skinheads, certainly remember seeing Sunderland fans who were almost to a man of the hairy persuasion, and yes Stoke definitely had a load of big hairy blokes - also recall Tranmere turning up again a load of hairies, but Preston in the same season all totally shaved heads.

In Bristol, Rovers had a large following of greebos, in fact the 'leader' of our End was a hairy and it didn't bother the younger skinheads at all, but City were virtually all skinheads, can't remember them having any greebos come to think of it.
post #9237 of 19264

It's no suprise Ed Vaughan that is where a heavy NWOBHM presence emerged in the next decade.

post #9238 of 19264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post

D'you remember certain 'big' clubs had a fair amount of greebos even when skins were taking over the world?
Ones that come to mind - circa '69/70 - were Stoke, and Forest; yet others, from around the same Midlands area, like Derby and Coventry embraced the new regime.
And the Birmingham clubs all seemed to go for the skin look, as did clubs in Liverpool, Manchester and even Newcastle.
Or am I being selectively bigoted??

Going away with Chelsea up North 68/69 Season, It was a glorious time.. London skinheads... The Northerners just did not know what hit em, The girls loved us, we felt like superstars.biggrin.gif
post #9239 of 19264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksideoftheforce View Post







john, i like it in between the two pics. longer than vintage pic, shorter than yours.
post #9240 of 19264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post

I would get home sometimes and my Mum would say some of your mates knocked for you, what one's Mum ..i would say, I don,t know you all look the same, dressed up like little old men Mum would say.biggrin.gif

I remember when I walked in to our house with my mate 'Cockney Bob', and my mum said, "You look like you both went to the same Borstal!"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead