or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 614

post #9196 of 18711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basset View Post


Interesting Chris, ive heard the term toppers but tbh had no idea what they are, never heard the term madcaps, the way you and others describe them makes me think of the shoes i always refered to as duckbills as a kid, dont recall owning a pair but remember having my fingers crushed by a pair worn by a kiddie a bit older than me, a dispute over a ball bonk whilst playing marbles.
 I remember moc's being worn in the 80's never wore them myself, i did used to wear those chinese slippers/karate daps, black canvas/velvet, orangey brown plastic sole, god knows why, i suppose i was just doing what me mates were doing

Ah! so. biggrin.gif

I think the Term "Toppers" also referred to Two Tone Lace-ups in a Patent sort of way.Had a pair of Beige/Brown-thought I looked the D.B.sssss:)
post #9197 of 18711
Quote:
Originally Posted by loempiavreter View Post

Had the pleasure of meeting mr. Buttons over here, when he honored us with a visit @ our little weekender in Eindhoven, here in the Netherlands:


Great fella! Was a pleasure meeting you mr. Buttons!
Was a pleasure, mate - great weekend.
post #9198 of 18711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basset View Post


 I remember moc's being worn in the 80's never wore them myself, i did used to wear those chinese slippers/karate daps, black canvas/velvet, orangey brown plastic sole, god knows why, i suppose i was just doing what me mates were doing

You've blown it now Mike, the less enlightened are all wondering what daps are now!! biggrin.gif
post #9199 of 18711

I usually call them bruce lee shoes.

post #9200 of 18711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure_Drop View Post


You've blown it now Mike, the less enlightened are all wondering what daps are now!! biggrin.gif


Im saying nothing, ive had enough problems asking for a cod lot with scrumps biggrin.gif

post #9201 of 18711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure_Drop View Post

You've blown it now Mike, the less enlightened are all wondering what daps are now!! biggrin.gif

A guid Scots word. wink.gif
post #9202 of 18711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post

A guid Scots word. wink.gif
While those from the land of the 'Weej' prefer 'gutties'. satisfied.gif

In Edinburgh, they were, somewhat obliquely, known as 'rubbers'. patch[1].gif
post #9203 of 18711
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post


To be ,cannot comment on the Wranglers-maybe some of the Northern Lot can answer you.smile.gif

Wranglers are for sLADE fans .

post #9204 of 18711

Speaking of Brogues - had a look yesterday at the king of shoes George Cleverley's shop in Burlington Arcade ( http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2011/05/shoes-of-week-george-cleverley.html)

wonderful place that had me drooling as did the most wonderful Crombie ive ever seen in The Son of Stag shop at Trueman brewery . Velvet collar , Cashmere and just cut so right - sadly the price at just under £800 put me out of the game ,,  a great shop though for traditional ( 50's 60's ) US mens clobber worth a trip for those who have not been .


Edited by flyfronted - 10/24/12 at 5:09am
post #9205 of 18711
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post


Ah! so. biggrin.gif
I think the Term "Toppers" also referred to Two Tone Lace-ups in a Patent sort of way.Had a pair of Beige/Brown-thought I looked the D.B.sssss:)

No mate , Toppers were worn with Ruperts , South Sea Bubble jumpers etc . thick crepe sole ( im told by people who say they know ) were a fashion 70s version of the teddy boy Brothel creeper . all the london football firms wore em .

post #9206 of 18711
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfronted View Post

Wranglers are for sLADE fans .

i´m a slade fan but still prefer 501s.. hope this is okay for you.. wink.gif
post #9207 of 18711
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfronted View Post

No mate , Toppers were worn with Ruperts , South Sea Bubble jumpers etc . thick crepe sole ( im told by people who say they know ) were a fashion 70s version of the teddy boy Brothel creeper . all the london football firms wore em .


In Bradford we called them Smoothie Topped Wedges.

In early '74 I had a black and brown pair with white crepe soles, lethel on wet Yorkshire flagstones

post #9208 of 18711
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfronted View Post

No mate , Toppers were worn with Ruperts , South Sea Bubble jumpers etc . thick crepe sole ( im told by people who say they know ) were a fashion 70s version of the teddy boy Brothel creeper . all the london football firms wore em .

Then I would not have known them-was never in the ICF.
post #9209 of 18711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post

While those from the land of the 'Weej' prefer 'gutties'. satisfied.gif
In Edinburgh, they were, somewhat obliquely, known as 'rubbers'. patch[1].gif

Ed, in Embra if you told someone there was a crèche down your street they'd want to know how many cars were involved.

Even the clocks sound smug in Embra!
post #9210 of 18711
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfronted View Post

Wranglers are for sLADE fans .

If you only knew the trouble I had to get Slade to stop wearing Tesco Bombers!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead