or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 603

post #9031 of 18818
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

What I liked about Buttons`,Mr Twist Tags` or Bassetts`Suits was,they looked like they fitted.That is something that I cannot get my Head around-why wear a Suit that looks 2 Sizes too small aka Alexei Sayle.If you get my drift.smile.gif

Have you seen the size of Alexei Sayle these days? butbut.gif
post #9032 of 18818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post


Have you seen the size of Alexei Sayle these days? butbut.gif

Slightly off topic but....

 

This '60's' fitted suit has sadly been taken on by the highstreet and by shit companies and done of course, very very badly. This now means we have people with too much money and who think they have a sense of style getting suits that just dont fit. I was watching TV last night and rudetube came on, presented by this Twat....

Difference bewteen a suit that is too tight and small, or too large and big and slim 'tailored' which is where it should be as proved in other photos. I mean, Alex Zane can afford a decent tailor come on. Get it fixed.  A friend called me up the other day, so starting work for Pal zileri fingers crossed soon but the amount of people who dont know how a jacket should fit nowadays is staggering, having to explain proper length etc. Some of the requests as well, if your paying 2 and half grand for a three piece made to measure what would you ask for gents ? one guy '' I want a navy'' (ok so far so good) ''Three piece'' (nice nice) ''and i want these light brown buttons'' (no..wait..what?) ''And this. The most horrible grey mucky lining possible. Thatll look nice'' (it wont and it didnt).

Its hard be a snob sometimes.

 

Rant over and back on topic.

post #9033 of 18818
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDermott View Post

Slightly off topic but....

This '60's' fitted suit has sadly been taken on by the highstreet and by shit companies and done of course, very very badly. This now means we have people with too much money and who think they have a sense of style getting suits that just dont fit. I was watching TV last night and rudetube came on, presented by this Twat....

Difference bewteen a suit that is too tight and small, or too large and big and slim 'tailored' which is where it should be as proved in other photos. I mean, Alex Zane can afford a decent tailor come on. Get it fixed.  A friend called me up the other day, so starting work for Pal zileri fingers crossed soon but the amount of people who dont know how a jacket should fit nowadays is staggering, having to explain proper length etc. Some of the requests as well, if your paying 2 and half grand for a three piece made to measure what would you ask for gents ? one guy '' I want a navy'' (ok so far so good) ''Three piece'' (nice nice) ''and i want these light brown buttons'' (no..wait..what?) ''And this. The most horrible grey mucky lining possible. Thatll look nice'' (it wont and it didnt).
Its hard be a snob sometimes.

Rant over and back on topic.

I think the problem is,that todays "People" have got not a clue-when it comes to Fashion Disasters.Hey! if it costs a lot,it must be good!!!To go to a Tailor was something you did not take lightly.He could make you look really good or a bag of shite! smile.gif
post #9034 of 18818
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

What I liked about Buttons`,Mr Twist Tags` or Bassetts`Suits was,they looked like they fitted.That is something that I cannot get my Head around-why wear a Suit that looks 2 Sizes too small aka Alexei Sayle.If you get my drift.smile.gif

Totally agree, nothing worse than someone wearing a suit, or any other item of clothing for that matter if it doesn't fit correctly. You see so many people at do's these days with crombies' that the sleeves are too long. Take them to the tailor and get them done. Same with suits if they are off the peg, which i doubt Wills are, Get them sorted out. I have bought off the peg suits, but have to take them to the tailors to get them taken up on the sleeves correctly, as even a short fitting suit of crombie is too long in the arms.

I appreciate not everyone can afford bespoke or made to measure suits, but theres no excuse for not getting them adjusted to fit right.
post #9035 of 18818
Anyone here know anything about NN07 jeans? They're supposed to be selvadge denim jeans, any good? Any models that look about right and doesn't show half of Belgian Congo?
post #9036 of 18818
Bought some cheap every day shoes
5yte3uja.jpg
post #9037 of 18818
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

I think the problem is,that todays "People" have got not a clue-when it comes to Fashion Disasters.Hey! if it costs a lot,it must be good!!!To go to a Tailor was something you did not take lightly.He could make you look really good or a bag of shite! smile.gif

I can recall going to a tailor back in the day and refusing to take a jacket he had made for me because the fit was wrong. In fact I was bloody irate.

(I loathe the modern two-button bum-freezer suits, by the way. I wouldn't be seen in one in my coffin!)
post #9038 of 18818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post

I can recall going to a tailor back in the day and refusing to take a jacket he had made for me because the fit was wrong. In fact I was bloody irate.
(I loathe the modern two-button bum-freezer suits, by the way. I wouldn't be seen in one in my coffin!)

I was pretty lucky.I got "Measured Up" the first time,and as we went along,the Size more or less stayed the same.In those days I did not eat so much(or I did not seem to).The Tailor would always check the Waist.I did hear some horror Stories-and where I could,I would recommend mine.I think today Style has gone out of the Window.
post #9039 of 18818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post

I can recall going to a tailor back in the day and refusing to take a jacket he had made for me because the fit was wrong. In fact I was bloody irate.
(I loathe the modern two-button bum-freezer suits, by the way. I wouldn't be seen in one in my coffin!)
Hellish - and I can't see one without seeing that tall, posh kid actor/stand-up in one.

Jack Whitehall?
post #9040 of 18818

I'll have you know that on your recommendation, i've ordered a pair of Cherry red Solovair 8 eyelets. And in anticipation of their arrival, whats the best way to treat and service those boots to ensure nice looks and long life? Is black polish on cherry, every now and then, a good look? Any special polish to be used? I figure i might stock up before they arrive, if needed.

post #9041 of 18818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerk View Post

I'll have you know that on your recommendation, i've ordered a pair of Cherry red Solovair 8 eyelets. And in anticipation of their arrival, whats the best way to treat and service those boots to ensure nice looks and long life? Is black polish on cherry, every now and then, a good look? Any special polish to be used? I figure i might stock up before they arrive, if needed.

 

 

Heres my advice that ive always done, but each to there own :

 

Take your new shoes or boots and wear them for a few days to a week un-polished (!) of course this will need be done round the house...not going to go outside in shoes unpolished are you nod[1].gif

After youve got the 'creases' in more or less were your shoes flexing then take a tin of polish and do a light coat all over the shoe, really rubbing it in everywhere take the laces out make sure you get it into the leather everywhere. DONT use loads, more is less just make sure its well covered. Reason i say to wear them for a bit is because if you polish the boot new itll crack when you start putting creases in. Then take a hair dryer (your misses wont be pleased) and heat the polish up all round the boot or shoe till it melts, you will actually see parts of the shoe getting shiny whilst you do this but when it dries itll dry dull which is what you want. spend a long time with the hair dryer making sure its all melting and the polish is 'spreading out'. You need to repeat that process three times so you have a decent amount of polish layered onto the boot. Your boot will look dull so nows the elbow grease part, take a bit of old pure cotton t shirt thats soft and worn or nylon tight (nylon creates friction and helps heat up the polish) wrap tight round finger and do small circles all over the boot, you will see small 'circles' appearing in the polish, when the friction becomes tight and harder to move round then apply a dab of water on the shoe and keep going or spit (i heard saliva ruins the leather because of acidity but reckon thats bollocks). Thats basically 'spit shine'. Keep going even when you think your done and youll have a nice shine to them, just do half an hour each night watching tv when bored and theyll be done in no time. Because youve put three coats on with the hair dryer you shouldnt really ever have to put more polish on, just shine up again with cloth when needed. The odd scratch will need some more on to cover it up etc.

 

Hard to explain but im sure ''how to bull boots'' or ''polishing boots'' etc on youtube will bring up a few videos.

Polish, just to stick to the well known brands, i like Kiwi and Cherry blossom. Youll find people saying stuff like 'Kiwi's parade gloss cracks over time so just use it for the toes'' etc but they all do the job really.

As for colour - each there own, i like to use 2 coats red 1 coat black on my boots gives it a darker shine, but on other pairs just cherry red. depends what colour your after. Ive actually taken shoes like brownish brogues and over time got a really nice orangey red look to them just through polishing so it is possible to change the colour quite a bit with just polish and time.

Black rubbed into the creases on a worn in cherry boot and then polished looks nice as well.

 

Edit :

 

Almost forgot, leave the shoes for 3-5 mins between each hair dryer coating, to let the polish soak in. Its best to do 2- 3 pairs  of shoes or boots and once, so you do one coat and hair dryer it, then the other on the other shoe and by the time youve done that can go back to the first one. This tech is basically the same as using fire for those wondering, but less chance of ruining your shoes or boots by the flame.

post #9042 of 18818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerk View Post

Bought some cheap every day shoes
5yte3uja.jpg


You'd have been better offf spending that money on a packet of pork scracthlings tbh

post #9043 of 18818
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDermott View Post

 

 

 

 

Thanks McDermott! A very thorough primer. I hope my boots arrive this week, for some strange reason it seems everything arrives faster if i order from Great Britain rather than locally.

post #9044 of 18818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basset View Post


You'd have been better offf spending that money on a packet of pork scracthlings tbh

He hee. I love pork scratchings.
post #9045 of 18818
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons View Post

He hee. I love pork scratchings.

And me-proper ones,not the ones in the Pub.smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead