or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 596

post #8926 of 19148
Arnold Palmer was another one that I recall but not sure whether that was an actual 'brand' as such.

Anyway, different subject - just found this pic on the Skinhead Revolt site and if I'm not mistaken the copper appears to be wearing my old favourites, Monkey boots - thought it was de rigeur for coppers to wear DMs in the mid 70s?

post #8927 of 19148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure_Drop View Post

Arnold Palmer was another one that I recall but not sure whether that was an actual 'brand' as such.
Anyway, different subject - just found this pic on the Skinhead Revolt site and if I'm not mistaken the copper appears to be wearing my old favourites, Monkey boots - thought it was de rigeur for coppers to wear DMs in the mid 70s?
I recall, here in Manchester, you'd even spot Plod in DM shoes.

It's all paramilitary footwear now, of course.
post #8928 of 19148

Oh right, i have another question. In some earlier posts i saw some Chelsea bloke (Eccles? Eccley) in something resembling a green harrington, where would one get one of those in that particular colour? I already have a beige FP Harrington and a original Barracuta G9, but the one that he's wearing in those photos is really splendid, i must find one!

post #8929 of 19148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerk View Post

Oh right, i have another question. In some earlier posts i saw some Chelsea bloke (Eccles? Eccley) in something resembling a green harrington, where would one get one of those in that particular colour? I already have a beige FP Harrington and a original Barracuta G9, but the one that he's wearing in those photos is really splendid, i must find one!

 

 

 

I have me an olive green/almost olive drab Baracuta G9; it's los huevos del perro.  I think it's the Acorn colored one, and very similar to Eccles's harry.

 

 

'sthat the one you mean?

post #8930 of 19148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerk View Post

Oh right, i have another question. In some earlier posts i saw some Chelsea bloke (Eccles? Eccley) in something resembling a green harrington, where would one get one of those in that particular colour? I already have a beige FP Harrington and a original Barracuta G9, but the one that he's wearing in those photos is really splendid, i must find one!

Danny is probably wearing a Skyjump Harrington, thats what we all wore back in 69, every colour was available, no one wore a Barracuta ..infact no one would have know their existence, and if they did.. and someone wore one , they would have had the piss taken out of them.. why? The collars are shit.smile.gif
post #8931 of 19148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerk View Post

Oh right, i have another question. In some earlier posts i saw some Chelsea bloke (Eccles? Eccley) in something resembling a green harrington, where would one get one of those in that particular colour? I already have a beige FP Harrington and a original Barracuta G9, but the one that he's wearing in those photos is really splendid, i must find one!

Try the Site Ben Nevis(sorry not able to put Link up).There is a Range of Colours on there.
post #8932 of 19148
I Foundation the Ben nevis site. I guess the "khaki Green" is the one most like the one worn in the photos?
post #8933 of 19148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerk View Post

Just one question; The white shirts of the early era, are they of some special kind/brand? Or are they just generic white shirts?

I presume you mean shirts like the one I'm wearing in this pre-Ben-Sherman pic?



"Generic' is a good word for it. Just a regular white shirt...
post #8934 of 19148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botolph View Post

      Quote:

 

 

  Interesting.  What would that sort of clobber be, and did it influence the early skinheads or the Mods before them that may have gone to fooball?

  I do know that the whole origins of the dresser/casual thing was claimed by those Mersey-centric scallies and what have you, and they say that the Southerners were copying them.  Suppose that's a debate for a whole other thread though.laugh.gif

   I was just referring to the rabid one-upmanship of both cults.  Granted, these days skinhead is more of an ideal uniform than "casual" or "dresser", but they defintely have parallels in working class "dress better than your betters" ethic and week-to-week "keep up in the back" policy.

Well easier to look at those Soul boy pics from the mid 70's a few pages back to see where the early Baby skins had morphed into and where the London ' casual ' ( again just like Skinhead a term not really used until the press coined it ) lads took much of there look from  . Like all youth cults a bit comes from here , a bit from there and a dollop of the previous generations clobber . Sure there are items that can be traced to mickeys illegal shopping trips to France but many more that go back as far as London Mod and Soul Boy ( Desert boots , Lois , Lacoste , Macs ( Burberry if you were very lucky ) slacks ). All generations of London's boys have influenced each other in fact quite a few of us have been examples of the lot at some time.

post #8935 of 19148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post


Danny is probably wearing a Skyjump Harrington, thats what we all wore back in 69, every colour was available, no one wore a Barracuta ..infact no one would have know their existence, and if they did.. and someone wore one , they would have had the piss taken out of them.. why? The collars are shit.smile.gif

 

I thought the Ivy shop sold the Barracuta back in the late 60s , i never made it there being 10 and living 15 miles away but even in our playground the shop and the 'real Harrington ' was legendary .

post #8936 of 19148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post

Danny is probably wearing a Skyjump Harrington, thats what we all wore back in 69, every colour was available, no one wore a Barracuta ..infact no one would have know their existence, and if they did.. and someone wore one , they would have had the piss taken out of them.. why? The collars are shit.smile.gif
... and many of us (in t' north) wouldn't have been able to afford the Barracuta, anyway.

(Flash Londoners.) happy.gif
post #8937 of 19148
With regard to green harringtons, I have a G9 in 'Loden' - not sure they still do this shade.



Not sure either that the collars are shit, but they do seem a bit insubstantial compared to say a Ben Nevis collar.

post #8938 of 19148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post

I presume you mean shirts like the one I'm wearing in this pre-Ben-Sherman pic?

"Generic' is a good word for it. Just a regular white shirt...

I still like the White Shirts,from that time-always looked good with a Tie loose and the top Button undone(with a Sleeveless Pullover).Kind of "Smart Casual".

"Soulboys" started a lot of Fashions,that became vogue later.Was in Scarborough this Week and saw some "Plastic Jelly Sandals".That took me back to those days.smile.gif
post #8939 of 19148
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

I still like the White Shirts,from that time-always looked good with a Tie loose and the top Button undone(with a Sleeveless Pullover).Kind of "Smart Casual".
"Soulboys" started a lot of Fashions,that became vogue later.Was in Scarborough this Week and saw some "Plastic Jelly Sandals".That took me back to those days.smile.gif

That pic to me looks as if mens style had just reached its zenith - even the skinhead look, as it became, did not reach those heights.
post #8940 of 19148
Ordinary Solovair or perhaps the Mikkel Rude 1969 by solovair?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead