or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 591

post #8851 of 18431
$995 is a lot for a raincoat.

I have had shirts from O'Connells - deadstock Madras. Did not bleed like the Madras shirts I used to have. Maybe the vegetable dyes get set after they have been stored for a long time.
post #8852 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian View Post

I bought Van Heusen in Lake Tahoe . Polycotton or 'permanent press' as it used to be called. Present day Ivyists turn their noses up at anything not pure cotton but these are great indestructible shirts. I do not know about Troy shirts but on FNB, Mercer seems to be the 'go to' brand or old stock Brooks -not so much of the currently offered items. Lands End occasionally gets a mention.
By the way, I referenced your post on Film Noir Buff and you get consequently get some flak there for the perception that you are knocking JS.... and also for being a skinhead. FNB posters are more rumpled Ivyists and many look down on skins, even though skins were JS biggest customers.

I have just read all their Comments.I see they have invited me over-one even said he would come on here.I have ruffled their Feathers haven`t I?
post #8853 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian View Post

$995 is a lot for a raincoat.
I have had shirts from O'Connells - deadstock Madras. Did not bleed like the Madras shirts I used to have. Maybe the vegetable dyes get set after they have been stored for a long time.

The thing is,I looked at the Firm who makes the Raincoars over her,and they look totally different.
post #8854 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

I have just read all their Comments.I see they have invited me over-one even said he would come on here.I have ruffled their Feathers haven`t I?

Yes but they will not come on here though. Many like things like shetland sweaters which used to be cheap as chips in the UK in the 1960s - the sort of thing you could get in BHS. They tend not to be so interested in looking sharp.
post #8855 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirryacus View Post

I see, van heusen and hathaway are indeed very cheap here in the states and almost given away in their used forms, I know brooks brothers is not cheap but I often find very nice ones used for a couple bucks a piece as well, I often run into vintage van heusen ties as well some wild patterns from the 60's for sure, did you ever get a brand called Pebble Beach of California there in the 60's/70's? I see it pop up every once in awhile but there isn't much info online, its obviously based on pebble beach golf course area around monterey california and usually golf related but a lot of their stuff would have tied in a lot with the ivy league look for sure.

Some of the Shirts are new-in the UK,their Prices are higher than in the States(obvious reasons).I have a couple of Brooks Brothers Vintage,which were Dead-stock-the quality is better than the newer ones.
post #8856 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian View Post

Yes but they will not come on here though. Many like things like shetland sweaters which used to be cheap as chips in the UK in the 1960s - the sort of thing you could get in BHS. They tend not to be so interested in looking sharp.

I like your Style Mate.smile.gif
post #8857 of 18431
What can we talk about now,Kingstonian?smile.gif
post #8858 of 18431

Easy mate, let's get into politics...
 

post #8859 of 18431

On a different note. I fly out to Bangkok in a couple of days.  Does anyone know of the best place to get hold of some decent tonik or sharkskin lengths?? There is a seller on ebay that is selling what he calls tonik but it is polyester/wool/mohair rather than the original blend.

 

Also, I'll report back on prices and quality etc and if anyone wants to take a punt and have me get the beginnings of a suit made for them I will do it for the price of a bew beers (which cost about 35 cents each). I would recommend that you get it finished closer to where you are as there will always need to be some finetuning done.

 

I have found a place in Cambodia that is run by a guy who worked in Vietnam for decades so I will be giving him a run as well. I know it isn't ideal but it has got to be better than one of those shitty off the rack "mod" or "skinhead" suits available from the usual suspects.

 

I'm also going to get myself some other stuff done like decent shirts and mebbe some sharkskin harringtons.

post #8860 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raff72 View Post

On a different note. I fly out to Bangkok in a couple of days.  Does anyone know of the best place to get hold of some decent tonik or sharkskin lengths?? There is a seller on ebay that is selling what he calls tonik but it is polyester/wool/mohair rather than the original blend.

Also, I'll report back on prices and quality etc and if anyone wants to take a punt and have me get the beginnings of a suit made for them I will do it for the price of a bew beers (which cost about 35 cents each). I would recommend that you get it finished closer to where you are as there will always need to be some finetuning done.

I have found a place in Cambodia that is run by a guy who worked in Vietnam for decades so I will be giving him a run as well. I know it isn't ideal but it has got to be better than one of those shitty off the rack "mod" or "skinhead" suits available from the usual suspects.

I'm also going to get myself some other stuff done like decent shirts and mebbe some sharkskin harringtons.

When you get back,naybe some Pictures.Sounds interesting though.
post #8861 of 18431
maybe
post #8862 of 18431
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post


I have just read all their Comments.I see they have invited me over-one even said he would come on here.I have ruffled their Feathers haven`t I?

 

Good man.

post #8863 of 18431

Evening all, just caught up, as ive been away, good reading as per, someone brought up pub rock, Brideshead i think, anyhows a few pub rock/70,s pics

post #8864 of 18431
Can anyone recommend a place to find slim fit v-neck sweaters (jumpers) with saddle shoulders?
post #8865 of 18431

Will do mate. Looks like I am gonna have to settle for some of this dodgy tonik off evilbay. At least it is cheap... What other stuff do you think would be worth getting made?? I actually did a good whack of a Tailors apprenticeship when I was in my teens (too fucking stupid to see the bloody thing through, could've really turned that opportunity into something beautiful).

 

I am going to see if I can spend some time training with anyone who will give me a shot either in Thailand or Cambodia. I would probably have more chance in India but I will only be there to oversee the finishing of some Lammies I am doing for some mates.

 

Now, what are people's thoughts on side vents versus a centre vent?? I know that some people say that side vents are for mods but I actually like the way they look.
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead