or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 588

post #8806 of 19268
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post

Or look like a mint humbug.

Pus a whole (not the mint with the whole) different spin on the comment "you look mint"
post #8807 of 19268

Those different colored stripes like terry's don't look bad at all reminds more of an 80's type trend that really took off though.
 

post #8808 of 19268
In the 60s,Ben Sherman were ahead of the Pack.Their Candy Stripes(ie the Beach Boys)were a short lived fad.I had one in Blue on White Stripes.The others,I regard them as wallpaper Stripes-because of the colour Combinations that came out.The Relco Shirt reminds me of the sort of thing that Beau Brummel would have worn(Regency Stripes).The original Mod!!!smile.gif
post #8809 of 19268
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

The Relco Shirt reminds me of the sort of thing that Beau Brummel would have worn(Regency Stripes).The original Mod!!!smile.gif

Now there's a man who knew how to polish boots, he would use Champagne..

post #8810 of 19268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart View Post

dave, remember those "paul weller" ben sherman shirts they did about 6-7 years ago? those were wide striped, iirc had the proper size collar etc. never got one myself, but they looked ok.

I have one. Great shirt, much better quality than the regular Ben Shermans. It's really slim fitting though. So it's perfect if you're in shape, but gain a few pounds and you'll never wear it again...

If I'm not mistaken, it was based on a 60's Ben Sherman given to Paul Weller by Steve Ellis from The Love Affair. Who by the way, was a pretty smart fella.



The one he's wearing on this 66/67 pic (first guy on the left) could be the one Paul Weller based his design on, I suppose.
post #8811 of 19268
Hello Ladies and Gents of this fantastic forum, which i have lurked on for the past year..

i must say i started somewhere in the middle..
then went back to beginning...
and have done my best to keep up with what seems interesting as of now..

besides GetSmart, i dont think i have really interacted with any of the other contributing members on this particular forum. but i have learned so much from it, and wanted to contribute something in my own way.

now, i'm def not an OG skinhead. or even really understood anything about what the word Skinhead really came from, until i took the time to read into what some of you have shared in some of your wonderful posts..
thank you.

and to be polite..
well fuck.... im only a 34 year year old short-skinny Italian kid from Brooklyn, who was schooled on reggae and punk, along with skate and Lower East Side DIY spirit. i have always been into the look of being sharp, even thought growing up throughout adolescents, i have gone throughout my own phases.. i found myself back to my 14 year old roots, with a bit more understanding of it..
so please let me say hello...smile.gif and hope not to be out of step...

i wanted to possible start with a cross posting i just did with the Dr Marten forum, if that is ok..
figuring, that it might be alright to share information that still might be interesting for those who share interest in

Im a boot guy..
i have worn a few different brands in the past years i would say..

Trickers
Vibergs
Whites
Alden
Redwing
Real McCoy's
ect....

I had not worn a pair of Doc Martens since being a 14 year old punk, so about 20 years ago (early 90's era),
and don't remember anything horrible about them, besides an initial week or two break in, which was rewarded by a boot that lasted me with badass comfort till i was at least 17.. cause i grew right out of them...

I have to say, I was ready to give them a shot again..
because they are kinda the converses of Boots i feel, and having a pair alongside my other boots would serve me well.

So I purchased a pair of MIE Rub-off Langston's a few months ago. they were top price, coming close to $250USD at the time. Shit!!!!!!!!
Docs have gotten more $$$ then what i had remembered.. since a kid...



don't get me wrong, i believe in what you pay for.. but i'm also really a nut for quality made boots.
I have to say my favorite pair of boots, are proper handmade English Trickers.
i have two pairs that rotate, and are def use them as a bar standard in what works.
I can say in my circles that British made boots are something that us NY'ers still look upon with a real respect to.

and back onto these Dr. Martens Langstons looked really nice, something as close to the old British Astronaut boots i lust.... so I was so excited to get a pair of what looked to be close.



At first looks at my Langston's, they were definitely a deep rich eggplant color that i thought was very nice tone for a Dr Marten. the brass eyelets, and blacked out welt lacing, def gave the boot a bit of class next to a traditional pair of 1460's. nice!

laced up proper, with a proper sized fit, i could feel that i was def not used to the immediate rigid cardboard feeling of the Corrected Grain leather they used for this boot. hmmmm...
upon closer look at them, the leather has this plasticky, poor-less kind of look to it, which i personally find ugly and cheapens the boot. hmmmmmm...
i dont remember my pair from the early 90's looking this way.
maybe i just didn't know any better as a kid. but my original boots then felt oily, and rugged.... thick and meaty is even a good way to describe them.
these new Langston's, did not not have that feeling at all....
they felt.. well.. kind of cheap'ish... and looked like the made in china hyper girly colors that make me hate Doc Martens to be honest.

Regardless of my initial first thoughts on the leathers appearance...
I was excited to see how the leather might change-up with a proper break in, and some thrashing around NYC in them...

Before starting to wear them out of the house for real.....
I do a proper pre-wear beat down on these boots,
first, starting with a deep moisturizing on them with a good amount Mustang Paste, inside/out.
Then lots of hand massage to bend the boots up and inside themselves, some light hammer tapping the Achilles heel area(knowing this is always a bitting problem in a boot like this) and light sole flexing...
just to get some stiffness out of the boot, and help it ease up into the natural creases my foot would eventually put into it.

Then i can admit..
I did some home yoga type squats, up-and-down my 5 flights of stairs in them, anything i could do trying to force some in wear creasing into them, before wearing them out..
i wanted to find where the hot spots were.
so i could target them with more attention.
and also pre-bandage and areas that might be saved from a blister.

shit....
this is already too much work to put into for a pair of boots.....
but i'm kinda of freak, and i was up for it....
and i hope sharing this info helps others..

well, they were not perfect, but they would def be ready for an hour or two of walking.
i prepped my a achiles with band-aids still, and took a walk.

all seemed well, and i can say, after wearing lather and composite soles for years now..
The super light and comfortable bouncy feeling that the Air Sole gave me, was almost like a game.
it was so nice to have a stride with a little... oomph and bounce in it from the sole at work..
BUT... after a few city blocks in them..
i could feel that the corrected-grain-leather was not as forgiving, as the genuine-full-grain leathers that i have become used to with my other boots.
i slugged it out and wore them uncomfortable for about three hours.
BAD MOVE...

upon getting home in them...
my feet were just a pair of sweat-box's in them..
they just didn't really breath, and trapped too much moisture under the soles of my feet.
this caused two rows of nasty water filled blisters to form on both bottoms of my feet.
fucking painful...
i never have had this happen to me with any boots.
i was super fucking pissed off at myself for walking an extra hour in them and of course the boots.
i looked down at them already now as miserable cheap boots..
they were put away until my feet could heal in two weeks.

upon looking at them closer..
i noticed that the finish on the leather after one wear started to strip off.
in an ugly way as well.
this fucking sucks.
and really made me dislike the boot even more to be honest.



So I decided if i were to want to wear these again.. i would have to do a little home project and strip the bullshit Burgundy polish off them down by hand...
this was a few hours of elbow grease and micro-soap sponge that did the job really nicely...
reviewing a really nice wonderful Cherry'ish color..
you can still see the Burgandy i didn't quite get off towards the top of the boots in picture the left (lying on it's side).



but i was really excited about them again..
the texture of the leather slightly improved after being stripped away of it's shiny burgundy treatment..
but it still looked plasticky compared to other Dr Martens i have seen.
i figured i would give them another go.
i wish this story ended better... but it didn't.
after two more short hour wears around my neighborhood in them.
the MIE Langston sole began to completely separate from its welt on my right foot.
What the Fuck..
not even more then 8 hours in them...
and they were fucked.

i was completely fucking pissed off, and just had enough with them.
off to the trash they went.
end of story on the Langstons.

please tell me someone has a better experience with them, because another friend of mine has them in black, and says simalr things about the comfort, and really was pissed how the black leather started to peal away after a few weeks of wear...
Made in England.... hmmmmmmm
i so wanted to believe in these...
but they seem to fail a few.

OK....!!!!
but not to leave this story in total peril...
there is a light still.

because i just couldn't give up on my lust for Dr Martens...
i dont know why... i'm a gluten for pain..and disappointment maybe..
but i ended back up in the NYC soho shop.
i wanted to find out about the possibility of the Bespoke option coming to that location....
and somehow walked out in a pair of Matte Black, For Life (Made in Thailand) boots.


a cutie of a sales gal got me into them..
of course...
but she was dropping some info on me about certain peoples obsessions with MIE line, and how Dr. Martens now positions itself as an oversea's made/manufactured brand now.. with no quals, but def keeps it's well advertised but sloppily made MIE line still afloat...
i'm not happy about that, because maybe it means, that MIE version are only overpriced for those, who only will purchase "British made" (which i tend to be) and

Comparing these with my Langston's..... is a complete different story.
i didn't want to belive after spending only $180 on these, that they were going to really amount to much.
but i was so wrong.(so far)
fuck me~

as of now.
and i can only say i have owned these for one week.

But, i have worn them for 4 days straight with no prep, oiling or anything.
right out of the box.
onto my feet... and wore them to work.
14-hour long days on my feet in these.
a pure fucking JOY to wear.
im still waiting for them to break, or show me something that will make me retune to this post, and hate them.
(i hope not) because i really like them.. smile.gif

from what i can admit, the leather is def not the traditional or MIE leather by far.
it is from what i read, a proper full-grain-leather that has been hot-stuffed with plenty of waxes and oils pre-hand, which gives for it's buttery-soft glove like fit.
they still have some balls in them, but they feel like ballet slippers compared to any other Doc Marten i have worn, right out the box.

im gonna keep wearing these till i can break them.
and will share if anything else.
post #8812 of 19268
Quote:
Originally Posted by PxC View Post

I have one. Great shirt, much better quality than the regular Ben Shermans. It's really slim fitting though. So it's perfect if you're in shape, but gain a few pounds and you'll never wear it again...
If I'm not mistaken, it was based on a 60's Ben Sherman given to Paul Weller by Steve Ellis from The Love Affair. Who by the way, was a pretty smart fella.

The one he's wearing on this 66/67 pic (first guy on the left) could be the one Paul Weller based his design on, I suppose.

Steve Ellis,in his time,was one smart Fella.He also had a fairly good voice.
post #8813 of 19268
Hello davichan,that was quite an iIntroduction.Welcome to our Mob.As has been stated on here,the old "Name"Brands have gone through changes.I cannot make any comments about Boots because I have not worn them since `73,but I have read other reactions to them.Interesting about how you got the first Pair ready for going out.Did you have any training at a Shoe Shop,the reason why I ask this,is because anybody else would have just put them on.I worked in the Shoe Trade and that is exactly what I do to every pair of new Shoes I get.Saves the grief later. smile.gif
post #8814 of 19268

Davichan - You've put me right of them Langstons. I was saving up for them too. I never realised the dark rich colour was just a polish!

 

I may have to re-think that purchase :(

post #8815 of 19268
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

Hello davichan,that was quite an iIntroduction.Welcome to our Mob.As has been stated on here,the old "Name"Brands have gone through changes.I cannot make any comments about Boots because I have not worn them since `73,but I have read other reactions to them.Interesting about how you got the first Pair ready for going out.Did you have any training at a Shoe Shop,the reason why I ask this,is because anybody else would have just put them on.I worked in the Shoe Trade and that is exactly what I do to every pair of new Shoes I get.Saves the grief later. smile.gif

Thanks browniecj,
yeah, older brands have possibly changed more.. most for the worst unfortunately.. or maybe things are just so much more transparent now with forums and the feedback of the "crowd" voice from the internet now.. we just might be uncovering that there never really that good in the first place...

regardless, it is good to post experiences onto these forums.. to share with each other and with hopes that maybe some of it might find it's way back to the companies..
nope i don't work in the Shoe Trade, as you can see i'm def a shoe fan, growing up with immigrant grandparents and parents with great appreciation for foot ware, and foot care, i believe might have lead to an early fascination with it, and now having friends who work in those parts of trade, helps shine insight as well.
no i work in the documentary/entertainment industry to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsnpressure View Post

Davichan - You've put me right of them Langstons. I was saving up for them too. I never realised the dark rich colour was just a polish!

I may have to re-think that purchase frown.gif

hello soundsnpressure,
yes, unless i got a really bum pair... i would skip on them!
if not.. i would advise to get them in your hands and on feet in a shop and not order them online.. to make at least a fair choice yourself..
post #8816 of 19268
i remember our interchange with Davidchan about the langstons....for me it's the opposite. Have had them since they first came out, have walked zillion miles in them and they've held up well and antiqued really nicely for me. I have many of the boots he does as well and kind of prefer these to the higher end ones, which always pains me as Trickers/Aldens/Red Wing etc are much more $ but i tend to prefer wearing the Langstons, or my Solovairs.

but to each his own, I liked the langston enough that I actually bought a "back up" pair the other month from Pediwear UK to keep in storage until needed

btw, speaking of the For Lifes...i got the oxblood ones a few years ago and yes the leather is very soft and supple, probably the best feeling leather DM uses, but after time the finish flakes off in a way much worse than what you experience with the Langston. it's not horrible, with a decent polish it's kind of hidden but you can still see the blemish. i doubt the matte ones will do the same, but personally I hate matte/oily finish leather shoes/boots
post #8817 of 19268
Get Smart,

good to hear from you, and yes, i wished i shared the same story with my Langston's as yours, because i'm also not a huge fan of matte boots, but I'm making these For Life work as best as can, and will eventually get some kind of shine onto them...

i would love to see how well your Langston's have antiqued... and also how your For Life's have aged as well.
please fell free to PM them to me if better not to stuff this forum, if you don't mind, or share with all if you have.

question back at you..
i'm sure you have gotten this before..(sorry to ask you again if so)

would you recommend Solovair's or Dr. Martens MIE for a proper pair of oxbloods ?
they are both corrected grain leather right?
which is less plasticky looking/feeling
or anything better?

thanks
post #8818 of 19268
Quote:
Originally Posted by davichan View Post

Get Smart,

would you recommend Solovair's or Dr. Martens MIE for a proper pair of oxbloods ?
they are both corrected grain leather right?
which is less plasticky looking/feeling
or anything better?
thanks

i dont even wear DMs anymore, other than Langston

these days my rotation is
-11i Solovair oxblood
-11i Solovair steeltoe oxblood
-11i Solovair "1969" boot from Mikkel Rude (oxblood)

I think the Solovair oxblood color is better, not as flat as DM color, imo looks better as color is slightly deeper/darker. it's all corrected grain leather, but does shine well. the whole correct/full grain discussion over "bovver boots" is irrelevant, i mean i wouldnt want to wear a full grain leather boot to a gig where my feet will get stomped on over the course of a night, or to work where I've had ink spill on my boots, metal rulers fallen on my feet, etc. For a nice full grain leather "sartorial" boot to wear at an office, there's no reason to consider a DM/Solovair boot since that isnt what they're intended to be
post #8819 of 19268
Get Smart,
thank you for the info. def will look into seeing if there are any shops local in NYC that carry Solovair.
appreciate hearing your point of view as well.
but I could still see a reason for wanting a full-grain DM/Solovair boot, mainly because still desiring durability and breathability.

im sure you well aware of this, but just to share with the forum:

Full-grain leather refers to hides that have not been sanded, buffed, or snuffed (as opposed to top-grain or corrected leather) to remove imperfections (or natural marks) on the surface of the hide. The grain remains allowing the fiber strength and durability. The grain also has breathability, resulting in less moisture from prolonged contact. Rather than wearing out, it will develop a patina over time.

Corrected-grain leather is any leather that has had an artificial grain applied to its surface. The hides used to create corrected leather do not meet the standards for use in creating vegetable-tanned or aniline leather. The imperfections are corrected or sanded off, and an artificial grain impressed into the surface and dressed with stain or dyes.
post #8820 of 19268
Thanks Jason for the heads up for the Paul weller ones, I remember those. Back in those days wasn't interested in these... Can shoot myself now


Here's another nice set of photographs and coincidentally with one of those nice candystripe shirts, courtsey of the recently moved Ballroom Blitz, now to be found at http://theballroomblitz.wordpress.com/ icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead