Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Who's the SF-approved guy in my salsa class? Last post on 8/8/11 at 4:14am in Classic Menswear
- *6/25 DROPS*Fs: Geller, W+h, Gitman, Ndg, Sda, Ov, Ervell, APC, etc. Last post on 6/25/11 at 5:48am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- The Trend Back to Wide Legs and Flares? Last post on 3/28/11 at 12:34pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Is this Louis Vuitton t-shirt working for me? Last post on 2/23/11 at 12:38am in Classic Menswear
What I Learned from Slim Denim
Last edited: 12/21/14
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Urban Fine Socks
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Mod to Suedehead - Page 586post #8776 of 195148/26/12 at 4:35pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #8777 of 195148/27/12 at 1:08ampost #8778 of 195148/27/12 at 4:37ampost #8779 of 195148/27/12 at 5:28amQuote:Originally Posted by browniecj
I will be honest here.Mikkel Rude Shirt Collars look too deep to me.Reminds me of BDs that Mods wore(mid 60s).In fact,if you go to DNA and others you will see the same.I always go by the 3 Fingers,that is deep enough for me.I dress according to my Income-that is why I do not have Bespoke Suits now.I look around,to me,this part of the fun.
+1 on the collars - a little bit cartoonish. These days I buy shirts less frequently, but spend a bit more to have them made to measure. And free of polyester.post #8780 of 195148/28/12 at 1:04am
Hi from Australia
I started life as a skinhead back in the late 80's in London, finished my time in the UK living in Stevenage, was always passionate about the style.
Arrived in Autsralia as a Smoothie Ruperts loafers and all, bit of a shock to the locals.
Still at 56, i still wear my Fred Perry's, Sherman originals, Crombie and Harrington's the collection of DM's totals 9 pairs jsut bought some new one ex the UK,
Have worn a pair of DM shoes every working day since the 80's just a bit annoyed can't get 4 hole shoes anymore.
have enjoyed looking through these pages brings back many memories of teh good days
Cheerspost #8781 of 195148/28/12 at 1:07ampost #8782 of 195148/28/12 at 6:03amQuote:Originally Posted by flyfronted
" Harrington Jackets, UK Original 1960's, Harrington Jacket, Harringtons.
We have been manufacturing our Combat label Harrington Jackets in the UK for over 40 years, no one else in the UK can claim this. We are THE UK's ORIGINAL HARRINGTON JACKET MANUFACTURER. Our jackets are made using the best quality fabrics and not cheap materials. There IS a difference between our Harrington jackets and others. YOU WILL NOT FIND BETTER QUALITY POLY/COTTON FOR UNDER £70.
Traditional, original and authentic Harrington Jackets manufactured by us using the same pattern and cut we have had for over 40 years. "
surely that claim is bollocks as Baracuta is the OG ' harrington ' and made in the UK for much longer , still easily the finest jacket of its style .
You are correct, but you try finding a Baracuta (not in the sale) from the Baracuta factory of website for under £70. You won't.post #8783 of 195148/28/12 at 9:58amQuote:
Im a big fan of MR, but they are a 70's 'british' shirt style. I have alot of more ivy style 60's - smaller collar and baggier, often with no sleeve detail so i like both its what floats your boat. I agree some pure cotton would be nice but polyester blends are better for day to day wear and ironing. Checks polyester mix and oxford and plain pure cotton i prefer :)
I missed this on TV when it was on, but some excellent footage i hadnt seen before (forgive me if its already been posted) :post #8784 of 195148/28/12 at 10:51amI was just looking at the MR shirts yesterday. The details and patterns seem spot-on vintage, I don't mind the big collar so much, even tho I prefer a bit smaller. I couldn't find any fabric content. Are they all poly/cotton blends?
note: I'm just a sideline observer of this thread, one on the most informative and interesting on styelforum btw. I'm not in 'the scene' but I have a fascination with the style of the early mods (pre-65) and the later suedehead look. I also love 60s reggae, soul and R&B.post #8785 of 195148/28/12 at 1:04pmpost #8786 of 195148/28/12 at 1:34pmQuote:
Sorry to dredge this up but I'm catching up on three months of posts. In Will Birch's No Sleep 'til Canvey Island one of the guys from Brinsley Schwartz complains that Nick Lowe cut his hair and started dressing like a mod again (many in the pub rock scene were apparently ex-mods) without telling the rest of the band. They were embarrassed to be still sporting flares and beards. This would have been towards the end of the band's career, before punk broke and Lowe went solo.
In the same book Ian Dury talks about wearing "Tuf boots and expensive raincoats" as a teenage mod in art school.post #8787 of 195148/28/12 at 2:47pmQuote:Originally Posted by bunty
'Getting ready to hit the town circa '69/'70'
Posted by Adlibsoul on www.soul-source.co.uk
(Can't make this any bigger)
Posted by Iancsloft on the same site
Think we have seen this series before (recognise the lad in the roll neck) not sure if this one has been posted?
Good Photo at the top,Bunty.If it is posted by Ad Lib,they are from Lincoln-that is where Ad Lib Soul takes place(an Soul/R&B Night that is Ticket only.No Flyers,just a phone call).I am going September-to see what it is like.It supposedly is a Cellar Club,just the way I like them.post #8788 of 195148/29/12 at 6:48ampost #8789 of 195148/29/12 at 6:51am
Must admit I quite like the MR shirts. You cannae have a collar too big for mine... Would be nice if they were a wee bit cheaper although postage is free after the first item which helps. I've managed to save up a couple of grand for my trip to thailand so hopefully I'll be able to turn that into a good few suits and mebbe a half decent crombie. Anyone know where I can get hold of decent tonik and sharkskin material over the intermeweb??post #8790 of 195148/29/12 at 8:30amQuote:Originally Posted by Darksideoftheforce
too bad the one on the left is sold out. I dont own a Brutus JTG or MR, most of my short sleeve bd's are BS, and I'm still trying to make up my mind which one of those to get. Comparing prices MR is definately the most expensive but reading the last post I guess its well worth the price.
John, dont even bother with Brutus. they were apparently shite shirts in the original days, and they are shit shirts today. Cloth is terrible, at least their first 3 models were cotton/poly so held up ok, but the newer ones are 100% cotton and fabric is cheap and shitty. If you're going to use 100% cotton, it'd better be decent cloth. fit is ok, but sleeves are way too small in proportion. I dont have big arms but feel like i am gonna hulk out. That DM collab shirt is their best one, fabric is actually ok and colors are nice. i will probably take a punt on the DM gingham next year, but do yerself a favour and avoid their other shirts and just save up for Mikkel Rude instead.
Claudio of DNAgroove does very nice shirts as well. Now his collars are HUGE, which will not be for everyone. But he does use high quality 100% cotton shirting cloth and MOP buttons, a nice touch on a "scene" shirt. Fit is very good, and nearly same as Mikkel's.
- Mod to Suedehead
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › sat tv=Rotherham Vs Bolton Live Streaming 2015 soccer 9 seconds ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 10 seconds ago
- › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread 26 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 1 minute ago
- › internet television=Millwall Vs Reading Live Streaming 2015 soccer 1 minute ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 2 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 2 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments SS15 3 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 3 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...
- › Sneakers for Boot People
- › The Pleasures and Perils of the Long Coat
- › Professor Fabulous Returns to the Closet
- › Why Styleforum Matters
- › The Pittilogues: Pitti Uomo 87, Day 0
- › The Styleforum Brief: December 2014
- › What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › How to Smell Fabulous for the Holidays