or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 563

post #8431 of 18764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian View Post


Jimmy James ? Yes above Burton's in Uxbridge. Heading out of town again. Red red wine and all that.
From google (not written by me)
http://www.francisfrith.com/uxbridge/
Exciting And Interesting Times

Windsor Street c1965
Enlarge photo | More about this photo
Not sure if anyone reads their comments later in life, but in response to one, it was Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers. Cliff lived in Long Lane, next door to where I lived when I was 3 or 4. We lived in the flats on the corner of Sutton Court Road. Though me and my mates lived in Hillingdon, Uxbridge was the place to be. Skinheads at this particular time in our lives (Ben Shermans/Brutus shirts/Harrington jackets) my first two-tone tonic suit brought from Temples in the High Street. Plain cap, brogue shoes and staprest trousers - we were the dogs!!! Levis at sixty five shillings a pair. Our evenings out included visits to the following:- Uxbridge Burtons, listening to amongst others Geno Washington and the Ram Jam Band and drinks in the pub below, I think it was the Queens Head? The Pinn Inn (in the RAF camp) Top Rank Watford, New Penny Watford, Cheeky Pete's Richmond, Boat House Kew, South Harrow/Slough bird's nests, King's Head Harrow-on-the-Hill, Hammersmith... Read more

What do you mean when you say you wore a "Plain Cap"?

post #8432 of 18764
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankmod View Post

What do you mean when you say you wore a "Plain Cap"?
Plain cap shoes - as opposed to the trad brogues.

However, maybe our hero had a thing for Andy Capp's wife, Florrie - who was incredibly plain? happy.gif
post #8433 of 18764

On the subject of new footwear i think its quite a good example of you get  what you pay for, ive got three pairs of lace ups, Loakes royals 8 yrs old approx cost me £90 new, there a bit pointy for some, i dont bother with them shoe tree things so they've spread a little giving them a more rounded shape, manufactory quality is good but the leather is very stiff, there not crippling but a nite in them is enough.

 Jones the bootmakers moorgate brogues, 12 years old approx, cost £115 new, again slighty pointy, but they have spread, quality is very good, nice leather, comfy shoes, they used to do a nice looking royal.

  Churches, shannon smooths, dont know the age ( second hand) , think they were £300 plus 7 year ago, nice rounder shape, superb leather, the most comfortable footwear ive ever owned.

The loakes loafer, same as the royal quality/comfort wise, bit more give in them, never liked the fringe bit.

Disclaimer: the above opinions are those of a 6 ft overweight male, suffering from arther in his ankles
 

post #8434 of 18764
Quote:
Originally Posted by loempiavreter View Post

Actually they showed this photos in a documentary, and did a pan shot over these. I had to photoshop and cut all the pieces together to get 'em to it's original state.
Great stuff, especially of that Gerry fella from Newcastle sending his old photo's to this site, in a nice chronological way from the tale end of mod into skinhead and out again in style of Bunty's bro. Definately a page to keep an eye onto.

I now have so many pics which could potentially go into the book, but I am unsure about the copyright position on any of them.
post #8435 of 18764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post

Plain cap shoes - as opposed to the trad brogues.
However, maybe our hero had a thing for Andy Capp's wife, Florrie - who was incredibly plain? happy.gif

GROAN!
post #8436 of 18764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post

GROAN!
Take advice - of the legal kind - I'm sure most people who have 'copyrighted' pics would be only too happy to have them saved for posterity. And without charge.

The high-profile, pro shots would, of course, be a different matter... but, buying-in images needn't be a bank-breaker.

Good luck. satisfied.gif
post #8437 of 18764

 

 

 

1000

 

My wife has found this photo from her brothers effects from when he passed away 30 years ago. This was taken around 1965. we are not sure if this is Margate or another seaside resort around the Kent or East Sussex coast. they look to be wearing Levi jean jacket, fly front mac and button down shirts. 

 

These lads would have been from the Lewisham South London area

 

Is that a portable record player in the front of the picture?

post #8438 of 18764

I remember here we go round the mulberry bush. It played really late one night here in oz many many years ago and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The soundtrack wasn't too shabby either.

post #8439 of 18764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces and Eights View Post





My wife has found this photo from her brothers effects from when he passed away 30 years ago. This was taken around 1965. we are not sure if this is Margate or another seaside resort around the Kent or East Sussex coast. they look to be wearing Levi jean jacket, fly front mac and button down shirts. 

These lads would have been from the Lewisham South London area

Is that a portable record player in the front of the picture?

That is a bloody good Photo Ace of Eights.Knew Levi Jackets were worn in London,in the mid 60s.And the Portable Record Player-now that is priceless.Well done to the Photographer.Sorry hear about his passing Mate,what info He could have given(if this Photo is anything to go by).
post #8440 of 18764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post

Take advice - of the legal kind - I'm sure most people who have 'copyrighted' pics would be only too happy to have them saved for posterity. And without charge.
The high-profile, pro shots would, of course, be a different matter... but, buying-in images needn't be a bank-breaker.
Good luck. satisfied.gif

I'm hoping so. smile.gif
post #8441 of 18764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces and Eights View Post





My wife has found this photo from her brothers effects from when he passed away 30 years ago. This was taken around 1965. we are not sure if this is Margate or another seaside resort around the Kent or East Sussex coast. they look to be wearing Levi jean jacket, fly front mac and button down shirts. 

These lads would have been from the Lewisham South London area

Is that a portable record player in the front of the picture?

Aye, great picture A&E. I would have thought a little later than '65 but very cool all the same.
Has the lad second from the left got a leather Levi on?
Record player on the sand - it'll never work the same again. Ha ha.
Love it.
post #8442 of 18764
Great pic!

Had a wee play with it and took some light/exposure up and shadows down... and enlarged.

Beach2-1.jpg

Edit: Is the boy, third from left, waggling his finger through his flies? satisfied.gif

Priceless!!! nod[1].gif
post #8443 of 18764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raff72 View Post

I remember here we go round the mulberry bush. It played really late one night here in oz many many years ago and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The soundtrack wasn't too shabby either.
You could be right Buttons.A Leather Levi Jacket!The Guy poking his Finger through has Trousers that have the Crease going into the Waistband(and a Ticket Pocket),just as I remember them.Thanks Ed for enlarging it.

I enjoyed the Film then.What was very sad though,Barry Evans died and was not discovered for days.I cannot remember if Drugs had been the cause-but that was how lonely he had become.
post #8444 of 18764
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

You could be right Buttons.A Leather Levi Jacket!The Guy poking his Finger through has Trousers that have the Crease going into the Waistband(and a Ticket Pocket),just as I remember them.Thanks Ed for enlarging it.
I enjoyed the Film then.What was very sad though,Barry Evans died and was not discovered for days.I cannot remember if Drugs had been the cause-but that was how lonely he had become.
I seem to remember that Barry Evans had been driving a cab, was 'mugged' - but not confirmed - and may have died from an injury he suffered when the (alleged) incident happened - but I'll google him, later.

He was a big part of my growing up, insomuch he was in a number of 60s and 70s 'average bloke' type of film.

Never a huge star, he always appeared very approachable and down-to-earth. Sad end.
post #8445 of 18764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces and Eights View Post





My wife has found this photo from her brothers effects from when he passed away 30 years ago. This was taken around 1965. we are not sure if this is Margate or another seaside resort around the Kent or East Sussex coast. they look to be wearing Levi jean jacket, fly front mac and button down shirts. 

These lads would have been from the Lewisham South London area

Is that a portable record player in the front of the picture?

Ha ha brilliant photograph in fact I love it!! Have you noticed the man in the middle? He playing around with his 'crown Jewells' haha biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead