or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 544

post #8146 of 18399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post

Its like Porn that site Ed, what with all those Dolly Bords wink.gifwink.gif
(Cough) A big boy did it and ran away. (Cough.) icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #8147 of 18399

Hello. I've been very much enjoying reading all of your posts for quite awhile. Although I am American, and too young to have been there in '69, and not a skinhead, I have a great interest and respect for all of the Brit youth cultures, and I steal bits from most of them to make up the way I like to dress. Much respect to you originals as your style very much lives on in the present day, as does the music. Maybe not so much the aggro, but that's probably a good thing. :)

 

The main reason I wanted to post here was to show you a video and ask a question. Alot of you have mentioned that after the Skinhead look of the late 60s, early 70s, you drifted towards Glam Rock fashion and music. I recently discovered this band (below) Giuda, from Italy I believe, and they are sort of...well, hard to describe, but I really want to know what all of you guys think of what they're trying to do musically and visually. Maybe capture that moment between Skinhead and Glam Rock?

 

I apologize if this is considered an interruption or off topic, and you all are offended it won't happen again. I'm just very curious to see what the original skins who "went Glam" think of a revisionist thing like this video. Thank you!

 

 


 

post #8148 of 18399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazMatt70 View Post

Hello. I've been very much enjoying reading all of your posts for quite awhile. Although I am American, and too young to have been there in '69, and not a skinhead, I have a great interest and respect for all of the Brit youth cultures, and I steal bits from most of them to make up the way I like to dress. Much respect to you originals as your style very much lives on in the present day, as does the music. Maybe not so much the aggro, but that's probably a good thing. smile.gif

The main reason I wanted to post here was to show you a video and ask a question. Alot of you have mentioned that after the Skinhead look of the late 60s, early 70s, you drifted towards Glam Rock fashion and music. I recently discovered this band (below) Giuda, from Italy I believe, and they are sort of...well, hard to describe, but I really want to know what all of you guys think of what they're trying to do musically and visually. Maybe capture that moment between Skinhead and Glam Rock?

I apologize if this is considered an interruption or off topic, and you all are offended it won't happen again. I'm just very curious to see what the original skins who "went Glam" think of a revisionist thing like this video. Thank you!





 
Welcome Chazmatt 70 , Thanks for your kind words, Just looked at the video it was pretty bad, and they was nearly as bad as some of the 70s Glam Rock bands, biggrin.gif
post #8149 of 18399

Haha! I thought someone might say that! What about the style...especially the bass player. Completely not authentic to any period, or a mix of different periods?
 

post #8150 of 18399
I think the whole thing is lost in translation mate, biggrin.gif just cant see any connection. smile.gif

The thing with British youth culture its unique..It is copied all over the World, But if you are not British you can never really understand it,
post #8151 of 18399

looks like the skinhead influence has reached H&M :)

 

http://www.hm.com/us/striking-contrasts?cm_mmc=NewsletterNTR-_-20120705-_-striking-contrasts-_-US#path=1.1.4&transition=1&duration=500

 

 

if you click through all the pics, you'll also see two-tone braces on some of the girls

post #8152 of 18399

Fuck me the girls in the above ads need a decent feed stat.  Can't say I'm into super big girls but I certainly don't wanna have to build a mote around my breakfast either...

post #8153 of 18399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post

I think the whole thing is lost in translation mate, biggrin.gif just cant see any connection. smile.gif
The thing with British youth culture its unique..It is copied all over the World, But if you are not British you can never really understand it,


Well, I was thinking the turn ups on the jeans with boots, the side burns on a couple of them, and the obvious football references might have been, at least in their minds, a nod to skinhead. I can't figure out why they're all wearing those fur collared jackets though. It actually could be what Italian hooligan types wore in the 70s, who knows.Thanks for the opinion, that's what I was looking for!

post #8154 of 18399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post

The Ivy/Squire Shop was where the real smart Mods and Later Skinheads Bought their Royals and American cloths in the 60s/70s,
The prices was high, so it stopped a lot of skinheads shopping there, So the stuff you bought was not worn by the masses of Skinheads,
Also John Simmons would only order a certain amount of say a shirt patten/colour from the States say a hundred.. so the shirt would rare even at the time.
Their was three types of Skinheads,
Those who bought their kit at the Squire/Ivy shop,
Those who bought in the Highs St,
And those who bought the Cheap shit from the Markets, biggrin.gif

I think there was a fourth type who bought from all of the above.

You would need to have a lot to spend to only dress Squire/ Ivy and they did not do mohair suits anyway.

I used to get knitwear from Marks. Sta prest from the High Street. Harringtons from Millets( central London better than suburban branches)

I never had much luck with markets which in those days was mostly Petticoat Lane. It was not for the want of looking though.
post #8155 of 18399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post

Evolution?
Please tell me, this is none of you London boys, on the King's Road in '73 - now that's bad. biggrin.gif
KRChelsea.jpg
Website with a lot of KR imagery from 1967- 1974:
http://mydadsphotos.shendy.co.uk/tag/kings-road/
You just know that 3-4 years previously, these fellas would have been rolling about outside Stamford Bridge. satisfied.gif
Edit: From the above site, the front 'cash pocket' Roy was alluding to?
Most of my Tonik otp pants had these.
frontpocket.jpg
Woaaaa! Just spotted... 'wet look' shoes, too. satisfied.gif

The geezer in the bottom picture is a ringer for david Beckham...cool pics though , the cash pocket is a nice little addition !

post #8156 of 18399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian View Post

I think there was a fourth type who bought from all of the above.
You would need to have a lot to spend to only dress Squire/ Ivy and they did not do mohair suits anyway.
I used to get knitwear from Marks. Sta prest from the High Street. Harringtons from Millets( central London better than suburban branches)
I never had much luck with markets which in those days was mostly Petticoat Lane. It was not for the want of looking though.
I was most definitely a skint member who used the High Street.

C'mon, I was young. satisfied.gif
post #8157 of 18399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazMatt70 View Post


Well, I was thinking the turn ups on the jeans with boots, the side burns on a couple of them, and the obvious football references might have been, at least in their minds, a nod to skinhead. I can't figure out why they're all wearing those fur collared jackets though. It actually could be what Italian hooligan types wore in the 70s, who knows.Thanks for the opinion, that's what I was looking for!

 

That song is funny! It has the Glam beat, cheesy lyrics, even cheesier - group hand claps, and in parts sound like 'bang a gong'.

Is it meant to be a 'tongue  in cheek' glammed up, power pop, bit of fun?? I can't tell

 

If anything, I think the bands attire is  a 'nod' to English church jumble sales, or Blue Peter 'bring and buy' sales from the 70's  blush.gif   (they prob still dress better than me tho) 

post #8158 of 18399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian View Post

I think there was a fourth type who bought from all of the above.
You would need to have a lot to spend to only dress Squire/ Ivy and they did not do mohair suits anyway.
I used to get knitwear from Marks. Sta prest from the High Street. Harringtons from Millets( central London better than suburban branches)
I never had much luck with markets which in those days was mostly Petticoat Lane. It was not for the want of looking though.

As usual I find myself in agreement with Kingstonian. Probably in 1969 to early 1970 I would have bought suit and trousers from local tailor (bespoke), harrington from Millets, Sta Prest and Levis from the High Street, shoes and shirts from Ivy Shop / Squire Shop, knitwear from M&S (lovely botany wool V necks), ties from a range of small shops, especially Mintz and Davis of Romford and Chelmsford. Underwear and socks nearly always from M&S and fragrance was Dior's Eau Sauvage or Moustache de Rochas.
post #8159 of 18399
Going back a page or two to the pics of Randy Cozens I note he is not always wearing a pocket hanky. Anyone recall when they became a must have?
post #8160 of 18399
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsnpressure View Post

 

That song is funny! It has the Glam beat, cheesy lyrics, even cheesier - group hand claps, and in parts sound like 'bang a gong'.

Is it meant to be a 'tongue  in cheek' glammed up, power pop, bit of fun?? I can't tell

 

If anything, I think the bands attire is  a 'nod' to English church jumble sales, or Blue Peter 'bring and buy' sales from the 70's  blush.gif   (they prob still dress better than me tho) 


I kind of think they're trying to do a Bay City Rollers meets 70s football hooligan meets suedehead thing visually. I was just wondering if such a look actually ever existed in real life, or was it something this band made up. Musically, the whole album definitely has that Gary Glitter/ T.Rex vibe. From what I hear they have a skinhead following.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead