or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 455

post #6811 of 18548
Regarding the photo I posted - with the turn-ups, surplus jacket (M65?), donkey jacket, straight-leg jeans, shorter-than-usual hair (for the late 60s), to my eye they look like 'hard mods'. The photo was dated '67 or '68, so another example of mass style between mod and skinhead. Yeah they're a bit scruffy, but no more so than many of the 'beach riot' mods or late-to-the-game skinheads pictured elsewhere.

I wasn't trying to say the photo was some kindof holy grail, just that it was one of the more relevant ones in the photoset.
post #6812 of 18548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Vaughan View Post

A meat 'peh', or a steak 'peh'? satisfied.gif

Aningingane!
post #6813 of 18548
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeman View Post

Whilst on the subject of Dundee circa 1968- Ive often heard MP "georgeous" George Galloway talking about his time as a Dundee Skinhead. He has mentioned the suits/crombies/macs/brogues and umbrellas (?) at various times throughout the years but is never taken up by the interviewers' to delve deeper.
Anyone know any other famous ex skins? (apart from adam ant as discussed before or the guy from motorhead)

I am SO going to see if I can get him into the book! biggrin.gif
post #6814 of 18548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint House Gang View Post

Regarding the photo I posted - with the turn-ups, surplus jacket (M65?), donkey jacket, straight-leg jeans, shorter-than-usual hair (for the late 60s), to my eye they look like 'hard mods'. The photo was dated '67 or '68, so another example of mass style between mod and skinhead. Yeah they're a bit scruffy, but no more so than many of the 'beach riot' mods or late-to-the-game skinheads pictured elsewhere.
I wasn't trying to say the photo was some kindof holy grail, just that it was one of the more relevant ones in the photoset.

They were nothing of the sort,Mate((Hard Mods or otherwise).
post #6815 of 18548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post

I am SO going to see if I can get him into the book! biggrin.gif

George Galloway has a Radio program on Talksport, He is hilarious, Made me laugh when he went to Washington DC to be questioned in the White House, He tied em up in knots, biggrin.gif
Yep to get him in the Book would be brill.smile.gif
post #6816 of 18548
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

They were nothing of the sort,Mate((Hard Mods or otherwise).

since it's brought up, was the term "hard mod" ever actually used back then? or is this a construct of the revival years, looking back and labelling them as such? I mean mods definitely referred to themselves as "mods", but were there individuals that pegged themselves as a hard mod to separate himself from the artsy mod (hence a pre-skinhead of sorts)
post #6817 of 18548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart View Post

since it's brought up, was the term "hard mod" ever actually used back then? or is this a construct of the revival years, looking back and labelling them as such? I mean mods definitely referred to themselves as "mods", but were there individuals that pegged themselves as a hard mod to separate himself from the artsy mod (hence a pre-skinhead of sorts)

No Jason,we were just Mods in those days.You either had the Peacock Mods(wearing Coloured Shirts and Trousers-in`65/`66 you would find them in Carnaby Street etc.).I was one until`67.Then you had the more Sharper Suited Mods(which then progressed into Skinheads)."Hard" or "Gang"Mod was a bad description because I knew a lot of Fellas who did not hang about in Gangs but liked the more Conservative Mod "Look".
post #6818 of 18548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post

George Galloway has a Radio program on Talksport, He is hilarious, Made me laugh when he went to Washington DC to be questioned in the White House, He tied em up in knots, biggrin.gif
Yep to get him in the Book would be brill.smile.gif

There is one fella I cannot stand,is George Galloway.Do not like his Politics etc."Respect"pah!!!!
post #6819 of 18548
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

There is one fella I cannot stand,is George Galloway.Do not like his Politics etc."Respect"pah!!!!

I don't like his politics Colin, but he is one funny cnut. biggrin.gif
post #6820 of 18548
There is him and Alan Johnson-who was supposedly a "Mod"in the 60s.Both of them I would not cross the road to help,in any shape or form.When I hate,I do it well smile.gif
post #6821 of 18548
Regarding these Solatios shoes i just don't remember them, Was they post Skinhead.. what did they look like ? Was they a sort of box weave front.. slip on shoe?
post #6822 of 18548
Solatios came out late 69/early 70-not the Norwegian Style(that came out later).There was a Basket Weave but they were more Mod.
post #6823 of 18548
Skinheads in Coventry shopping precinct. 4th October 1969

283
post #6824 of 18548
we all know the first pic, but did you ever saw the 2nd one of the same bunch before????

359

515
post #6825 of 18548
Quote:
Originally Posted by ek77 View Post

not sure if this one was posted before...
dated feb 1970, QPR fans with tickets in FA Cup 4th round v. Chelsea
232

just found this:

How many boxes does this photograph tick? Excited QPR fans proudly show their match tickets on the streets of Shepherd’s Bush before the FA Cup 6th Round tie against Chelsea on 21st February 1970. Somehow Loftus Road managed to squeeze in an incredible 33,572 people that day (current capacity around 18,500), yet despite goals by Terry Venables and Barry Bridges for the home side, Chelsea fluked a 4-2 win.
http://monkey-picks.blogspot.de/2012/03/shepherds-bush-skinheads-1970.html
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead