or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 407

post #6091 of 18914

Hello everybody! It took me forever to finish reading the whole thing...I'm 21 from Italy..and I'm trying to become a proper skinhead starting from the clothes...I really dig the traditional style! First of all I just want to say thank you to all the "first generation skinheads" in here...this has been a really interesting reading to me, I pretty much understood what to wear and what not to wear...second I would like to ask you some questions: considering that some of you are from the London area, and I'm going to be there in a few days with some friends of mine, could you please tell me some shops wich I really can't miss? I've heard that the Oi Oi Shop in Camden is a nice place to find some good stuff...I'm interested in buying a good pair of sta-press and a few shirt (Ben Sherman stores are ok, but are there any Brutus store?)...can you help me? Oh and are there any skinhead nites in town by the end of the month? Thanks in advance! 

post #6092 of 18914
I raided them from the wife's photo album - probably the only photos of her in any skinhead gear - I'm a tad jealous, I haven't got one single photo of me in my skinhead gear at all.

Yes that is my wife M-o-M, she'll be 56 next week, her name's Carole and as well as going down the Rovers like me (old Tote End boot girl) they used to hang around at the Oldbury Court Youth Club in Bristol.
post #6093 of 18914
I think I've mentioned it before and I definitely went on about them in Booted and Suited, but the zip up jacket of choice in Bristol at any rate was the suede 'bomber' jacket that we all believed was USAF issue from the Korean War, we bought them from Marcruss ex army on the Hotwells Road (it's still there) and they cost about 3 quid. There were also leather versions which weren't so popular but they were worn by a few.

Colours were tan, dark blue, black and dark (bottle green) which is what I had, and the silk linings were tonic material. Harringtons (but can't remember anyone having a proper Baracuta) were popular as were Levis, Wranger and Lee denim or light brown cord jackets - in fact I would say the light brown cord versions teamed up with denim jeans were the most common ensemble - all denim (like the photo of the Barrow boys) was always regarded as a tad scruffy.

Anyway, back to the suede zip up, attached is a photo of a good mate of mine, Moggy Morgan from Hillfields in Bristol wearing his jacket which he bought in 1970 and was still wearing some 10 or so years later (if you saw the size of him now you would realise why he no longer wears it). Some of them also had a horizontal zip breast pocket. Sadly within a year or two we were all wearing suede or leather Budgie jackets or satin or velvet bombers, although I must admit the Budgie I had I was always rather enamoured with - and the girls liked it smile.gif

234
post #6094 of 18914
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons View Post

great pics coming in lately - cheers lads!
Seeing as this pic has come up, does anyone remember lads wearing footy shirts (match day or otherwise)?
The lad on the left in the Lee Rider jacket and what looks like Wrangler jeans - not the smartest lad I'll admit (and this is way up in the frozen north!!) appears to have a footy shirt on (unless I'm mistaken). I thought this caught on much later. I'd have thought even if yer off to the match hell-bent on scrapping all day, ye'd want to look a bit sharper than that.
And I know its been touched on but footy scarves - match day (good for camaradarie but not good for sneaking into their end!) or non-match day - just cos its cold! I'm guessing its a bit different in London as in some places, you don't have to stray far to get into another club's manor, but other towns a lot safer.
Interested either way.
Buttons
(also, just a small note, the picture's in reverse)

I've zoomed in on the Mac, and to me, the guy is wearing a crew neck - red at the collar - and grey at the waistband of his jeans.

I certainly don't remember people wearing club shirts to games.

(I do recall tying (hiding) the odd scarf around my waist, though...satisfied.gif )
post #6095 of 18914
Well spotted Ed, I only had chance to take a sneaky look at work - will have a proper look later.
post #6096 of 18914
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaul View Post

I'm going to be there in a few days with some friends of mine, could you please tell me some shops wich I really can't miss? I've heard that the Oi Oi Shop in Camden is a nice place to find s

Oi Oi shop is excellent, Bill is a top guy, and it's definitely a place you should go. If you can get to Brighton (50 min south of London by rail from Victoria Station), Jump the Gun is probably one of the best one-stop shops for gear (carries Brutus, sherman, perry, along with their own house line which is very good). Also Adam of London in Nottinghill's Portobello Markets. mendoza on brick lane is good, more mod than skinhead, but worth a look if you're in the area
post #6097 of 18914
One of the lads posted this pic on FB ... It says Arsenal Supporters, from Manor House 1970.
Someone pointed out two of the skinheads wearing Bomber jackets...and said he thought it was a later 79 skinhead bit of kit.
A mate of mine from SE London had one[ and still has it ] in 70 after seeing a couple of skinheads from Chigwell wearing them.

417077_309077969156839_100001639156232_846579_2051904467_n.jpg
post #6098 of 18914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post

One of the lads posted this pic on FB ... It says Arsenal Supporters, from Manor House 1970.
Someone pointed out two of the skinheads wearing Bomber jackets...and said he thought it was a later 79 skinhead bit of kit.
A mate of mine from SE London had one[ and still has it ] in 70 after seeing a couple of skinheads from Chigwell wearing them.
417077_309077969156839_100001639156232_846579_2051904467_n.jpg

Good Pic Roy.
post #6099 of 18914
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

Good Pic Roy.

Although my mate had a Alpha MA1 in 70..He mostly wore it for work, I never wore one maybe because where i lived it was not really known Skinhead kit,
The lads in the pic wearing the bomber jackets look like cheap imitation of a Alpha, which is also interesting as i thought only the genuine article was available back then.
I always remember Alan coming to work looking like michelin man as the jacket looked puffed up.
post #6100 of 18914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post

Although my mate had a Alpha MA1 in 70..He mostly wore it for work, I never wore one maybe because where i lived it was not really known Skinhead kit,
The lads in the pic wearing the bomber jackets look like cheap imitation of a Alpha, which is also interesting as i thought only the genuine article was available back then.
I always remember Alan coming to work looking like michelin man as the jacket looked puffed up.

This was the Blue Jacket I had,in around`70.Alpna Mk 1s were very,very hard to come by.I think Silvermans started having them around `71/`72.,in numbers.
post #6101 of 18914
Alpha Mk.1:)
post #6102 of 18914
^ A great find Roy. After months of no new stuff, we get loads in a week. Should keep MoM and Queenie busy! biggrin.gif

I had an MA1 (but a copy) that was 'thin' and not 'puffy' like it should be. It was nylon/waterproof and slightly oily looking (tasty eh?) and was I believe from the early 70s. Ring any bells?
post #6103 of 18914
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunty View Post

^ A great find Roy. After months of no new stuff, we get loads in a week. Should keep MoM and Queenie busy! biggrin.gif
I had an MA1 (but a copy) that was 'thin' and not 'puffy' like it should be. It was nylon/waterproof and slightly oily looking (tasty eh?) and was I believe from the early 70s. Ring any bells?

A Lad called Snowy put it on FB he is well clued up on anything to do with skinheads and been one for many years, some on here will know him,

I managed to get hold of a Alpha MA 1 1964 issue last year. The original Alpha was blanket lined ??.

Whats interesting about my mate he would come up to Kilburn at weekends, He would get off at Charing Cross main line.. cross the square and jump on the old Trafalgar Sq Station, that's where he got chatting to the two skinheads from Chigwell Essex,...who was wearing the MA 1s.. i suppose thats how styles would cross over to different areas. as i said it never caught on with me,
post #6104 of 18914
Just looking at the pic again this little firm are from Manor House , North London, all these areas would have crews of White working class lads, Its a tragedy whats happened to our Culture, our Country, our Inner Cities, The sad thing is.. its gone forever, you will never get another White working class fashion cult again, i could cry.

Where are all the White working classes gone , its like they have all been exterminated.

Sorry just had to get that of my chest.
post #6105 of 18914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post

Just looking at the pic again this little firm are from Manor House , North London, all these areas would have crews of White working class lads, Its a tragedy whats happened to our Culture, our Country, our Inner Cities, The sad thing is.. its gone forever, you will never get another White working class fashion cult again, i could cry.
Where are all the White working classes gone , its like they have all been exterminated.
Sorry just had to get that of my chest.

We have spoken about this on many occasions.When I go around Areas that I used to go to,as a Teenager etc.,they have changed.Also the vibrancy that came out of those Areas-ie The Skinheads etc.,have all gone.There now a very dirty shade of Grey hanging over London Town.I would suppose that it is the same everywhere(but London was where things started).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead