or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 397

post #5941 of 18433

Must have missed that Roy.

 

Looks ok so far, I know Im Dj ing a rally the Week after and a few in June, but pretty much think Thats a free weekend.

 

Ill have to speak to Queenie, see if we can all come down together,

 

Itll be nice to finally meet you all (Although it feels like I already have, if that makes sense)

post #5942 of 18433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post

Must have missed that Roy.

Looks ok so far, I know Im Dj ing a rally the Week after and a few in June, but pretty much think Thats a free weekend.

Ill have to speak to Queenie, see if we can all come down together,

Itll be nice to finally meet you all (Although it feels like I already have, if that makes sense)

We had a great day last year, I missed me train home had to book in a hotel, might stay over Saturday night this time.
The more who can make it the better, smile.gif
post #5943 of 18433
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunty View Post

I know we've spoken about Australian Sharpies before but I don't think these have been posted on here?
233
Chris O'Hooligan and The Camberwell Junction Boys !970
268
Melbourne 1969
232
Melbourne 1972
519
Melbourne 1967
Edit - Sorry chaps, it took me so long to load these on, I didn't notice that I'd posted them slap bang in the middle of your chat :)


Great photos! It's a shame nobody under the age of 30 dresses like that here anymore. The dominant youth fashion where I'm from (western australia) is awful pastel singlets, tiny checked shorts, canvas slip-ons, massive sneakers, techno-looking wraparound sunglasses/monstrosities. Funny though, apparently Perth had a pretty big influx of British ex-pats around the late '60s/'70s so there is quite a large group of older folks who'd have been young teenagers when skinhead took off in Britain that have retained elements of style, as well as younger (50 y.o odd) guys that make up quite a sizeable Northern soul community here.

 

post #5944 of 18433
Sorry Gramps thought you already knew the date ...its the 19th May, Hope you can make it mate.[/quote]

I never knew that - bad timing when there's a big skinhead reggae night down the road in Leicester.
post #5945 of 18433
I've always thought that Sharpies were Australia's take on skinhead but this video says different
I'm wondering now how did sharpies come about since it seems that they were there before skinheads. I know this has little to do with the Original skinheads but thought I put the vid up since it's still interesting smile.gif
post #5946 of 18433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post

60s Bespoke suit Trousers came with zipped side adjusters, which you cannot get these days... Even Henry Poole don't do them, Now days they are simple sliding buckle, or buttoned side adjusters.

Roy, I recall the buttons being around in the mid sixties and being gradually replaced by the zip style adjuster (which were so much more stylish). I didn't realise that the zip had died out. I must say my most most recent pair of trousers with side adjusters has the sliding buckle type which is crap really - functionally and aesthetically. That's progress....
post #5947 of 18433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brideshead View Post

Roy, I recall the buttons being around in the mid sixties and being gradually replaced by the zip style adjuster (which were so much more stylish). I didn't realise that the zip had died out. I must say my most most recent pair of trousers with side adjusters has the sliding buckle type which is crap really - functionally and aesthetically. That's progress....

Thats interesting John, when i got my first suit made in 69 it just had zip adjusters. never gave it a thought. when i had one of my first present day suits made i asked for zip adjusters and was told they are no longer available, so i asked a few Tailors including Henry Poole and was told the same. A suit made by Henry Poole you are looking at £4000, but you cant have zip adjusters, biggrin.gif
I agree the buckle and button type look cheap and awful,
post #5948 of 18433
Just another bit of intelligence about the birth of the name polo shirt when applied to a tennis type of shirt. In his witty and erudite guide from 1987 'A Gentleman's Wardrobe' Paul Keers uses the term polo shirt freely in this context and carries a picture of JFK sporting one.

Diana de Marly in 'Fashion for Men - An Illustrated History' of 1985 on the other hand calls this type of shirt simply 'a knitted shirt'.

This seems to confirm that it was during the 1980s and not 90s that this term began to be genreally accepted in England. I say generally as I believe in clothing circles it pre-dated this.

Interestingly Keers calls a roll neck/Polar/polo sweater a 'turtle neck'. My understanding has always been that the correct term for this type of sweater (or its lighterweight cousin as made by Sunspel until recently) is turtle, with the shorter type of collar that does not roll being a mock turtle. John Smedley - http://www.johnsmedley.com/uk/mens/mens-pullovers/ss12-oxford
post #5949 of 18433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post

Thats interesting John, when i got my first suit made in 69 it just had zip adjusters. never gave it a thought. when i had one of my first present day suits made i asked for zip adjusters and was told they are no longer available, so i asked a few Tailors including Henry Poole and was told the same. A suit made by Henry Poole you are looking at £4000, but you cant have zip adjusters, biggrin.gif
I agree the buckle and button type look cheap and awful,

I reckon by about 69 the zipped style was the dominant one.
post #5950 of 18433
I think we touched on how to wear a polo shirt (tennis shirt) these days. There are many variations:

Collar -
a) buttoned up
b) top button undone
c) two buttons undone
d) all undone (if there are more than two)
e) turned up
f) turned down

And the shirt itself can obviously be tucked in or untucked.

I recall the skinhead style was b) above and turned down with shirt tucked in. What do you guys do today?
post #5951 of 18433
I have a few Fred Perry Laurel label, Which i wear tight fitting outside my jeans, If i'am wearing trousers I wear a Lacoste tucked in...with a nice belt. smile.gif
post #5952 of 18433
Re side adjusters:

sideadj.jpg

coat.jpg

Eng.jpg
post #5953 of 18433
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Rudeboy View Post

 Apart form the US BB history of the polo shirt, what you say about the UK and tennis shirts is incorrect in my opinion, based on my experience and observations. That form of shirt is still worn by many to play tennis in and still manufactured by many brands as a tennis shirt. Also as late as the mid-90s when I left England M & S were still selling them as "tennis shirts". In all my years in London I never heard a single person call them anything but tennis shirts. A polo shirt was something completely different, i.e. it was a long sleeved shirt with a round neck called a polo neck. And those were also sold in M & S in the 90s as polo neck shirts.   Like this: http://www.suitstoboot.co.uk/suits/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29836
In the 70s I wore polo necks like that quite often under a blazer.

I don't remember the term 'polo' shirt being used until recently: certainly we never used it to describe a Fred Perry style sports shirt. A Fred Perry was known as just that: 'a Fred Perry', we wore a similar style of shirt for PE at school, which we called an 'aertex' (that was the brand name of it). I think of the jumper you posted as more of a 'roll neck', not as high as a polo neck which comes higher up the neck and a 'turtle neck' as being just a bit higher than a '60's style crewneck. I think the term 'polo shirt' was one I first heard in regard to those sloppy uniforms that kids wear to school nowadays: what's wrong with a proper shirt..... and tie...
post #5954 of 18433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brideshead View Post

Just another bit of intelligence about the birth of the name polo shirt when applied to a tennis type of shirt. In his witty and erudite guide from 1987 'A Gentleman's Wardrobe' Paul Keers uses the term polo shirt freely in this context and carries a picture of JFK sporting one.
Diana de Marly in 'Fashion for Men - An Illustrated History' of 1985 on the other hand calls this type of shirt simply 'a knitted shirt'.
This seems to confirm that it was during the 1980s and not 90s that this term began to be genreally accepted in England. I say generally as I believe in clothing circles it pre-dated this.
Interestingly Keers calls a roll neck/Polar/polo sweater a 'turtle neck'. My understanding has always been that the correct term for this type of sweater (or its lighterweight cousin as made by Sunspel until recently) is turtle, with the shorter type of collar that does not roll being a mock turtle. John Smedley - http://www.johnsmedley.com/uk/mens/mens-pullovers/ss12-oxford

Mock turtle........ that made me laugh, John: haven't heard of that expression for years, but of course you are right!
post #5955 of 18433

Forgive me in advance for off topic question but maybe you can help me with this jacket type. I searched internet all over and cant find answer. Biff Tannen wears this jacket in Back to the Future. What kind of jacket is this? Thank you.

 

biff-back-to-the-future.jpg

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead