Deano is wearing Levis the boost are those Dr Martin RAF Simmons limited issue. made from a more expensive leather.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Who's the SF-approved guy in my salsa class? Last post on 8/8/11 at 4:14am in Classic Menswear
- *6/25 DROPS*Fs: Geller, W+h, Gitman, Ndg, Sda, Ov, Ervell, APC, etc. Last post on 6/25/11 at 5:48am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- The Trend Back to Wide Legs and Flares? Last post on 3/28/11 at 12:34pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Is this Louis Vuitton t-shirt working for me? Last post on 2/23/11 at 12:38am in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Mod to Suedehead - Page 353
Styleforum Top Picks
Indeed. Note also that in 81-82, most of us in daily uniform were still wearing low DMS boots and puttees, as in the photo I posted. High boots didn't become standard issue until about 83.
Of course jungle boots for Belize, jump boots, and NIPB were available long before that.
The quality of boots, then and now, monkey boots, ammo boots, Docs and so on.
Here I am in 2010 on a militia-roadblock exercise for our overseas Joint Response Team, wearing a pair of 11-hole steel-toecap DMS Solovair Highlanders, made in England. I bought these in about 85 as patrol boots, and they're still going strong. Much better quality of leather on Solovairs, much softer, more durable. After over 25 years of service these still show no signs of wear on the leather. That said, a pair of 10 hole red Asian made Docs I bought about 7 years ago have already got a few small cracks on the sides between the lace-housing and the toecap, also some of the stitching has started to come undone. The leather and
manufacture is far from the quality of the Solovairs and far from the quality of the old English made Docs, of which I've got 2 pairs of black Gibson shoes still going strong.
Has anyone got any photos of the orignal black monkey boots with the grip soles and side stitching? Because the ones Dr. Marten makes now and calls "monkey boots" don't look anything
like the monkey boots I had in the 70s.
Edited by London Rudeboy - 1/30/12 at 3:12am
Oh blimey, I'd forgotten about that, early to mid-80s probably, wasn't it?
Then there was this old Guardian TV advert.
Years later the Met Police used the same psychology, with what looked like 2 cops chasing a black man, until you realise that the black man is a plain clothes cop also chasing the villain.
Then there was this old Guardian TV advert.
when I first saw that I couldnt figure out where that came from, and in what context it was shown. wasnt til much later that someone said it was a newspaper advert. still pretty well shot footage, when did it originally air..... had to be late 70s/early 80s? tho it looks older with the black/white film stock
Roughly where on Wardour Street, it's quite a long strasse and it was crawling with pubs, bars, clubs, cafes, and restaurants. Quite a lot of them were gay venues, bearing in mind the proximity to Old Compton Street.
I remember Wong Ki's chinese restaurant & their famously rude staff! Are you thinking perhaps of the Duke of Wellington?
Does anyone remember the pub on Wardour Street that was a meeting place for gay Skinheads in the '70's? They were Chelsea and a right bunch of hard bastards! Me and my mates used to go to the Marquee a lot and were always wary of bumping in to any of them cos they were so volatile.
I use to get in Crackers Wardour St mid 70s, never saw any Gays though, Was their Gay Skinheads around in 75,
Edited by Lasttye - 1/30/12 at 3:11pm
Hi Paul, I can thoroughly recommend a book that came out in 2000 & in reprint in 2005t, "A Boy's Story" by Martin King. It's written as an autobiographical novel. King was a skinhead right from day one, as the 60s were closing. He was one of the Chelsea Shed skins in the 70s, eventhough he lived in Mitcham. It's a great read with lots of detail
Cheers for that, will definitely look out for it. I read his 'Hoolifan' book a few years back which was a good read from what I can remember.
- Mod to Suedehead
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures 1 minute ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 1 minute ago
- › Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review 1 minute ago
- › Netflix instant movie suggestions 2 minutes ago
- › The Grad Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 3 minutes ago
- › spoon tailor -hong kong bespoke operation in San Francisco 8 minutes ago
- › The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread 8 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 9 minutes ago
- › NIKE Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › The Styleforum Brief: November 2014
- › Prof. Fab’s Holiday Gift Guide: In...
- › MEET THE PRESS
- › How to Survive the Holidays with Your...
- › How to Get What You Really Want This Holiday...
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...