Deano is wearing Levis the boost are those Dr Martin RAF Simmons limited issue. made from a more expensive leather.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 8:34 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 10:38 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015Last edited: 5/7/15
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/30/15
- What I Learned from Slim DenimLast edited: 12/21/14
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Mod to Suedehead - Page 353post #5281 of 208191/30/12 at 12:54am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #5282 of 208191/30/12 at 12:56ampost #5283 of 208191/30/12 at 1:04ampost #5284 of 208191/30/12 at 1:16amQuote:
Indeed. Note also that in 81-82, most of us in daily uniform were still wearing low DMS boots and puttees, as in the photo I posted. High boots didn't become standard issue until about 83.
Of course jungle boots for Belize, jump boots, and NIPB were available long before that.post #5285 of 208191/30/12 at 1:45ampost #5286 of 208191/30/12 at 2:34ampost #5287 of 208191/30/12 at 2:54am
The quality of boots, then and now, monkey boots, ammo boots, Docs and so on.
Here I am in 2010 on a militia-roadblock exercise for our overseas Joint Response Team, wearing a pair of 11-hole steel-toecap DMS Solovair Highlanders, made in England. I bought these in about 85 as patrol boots, and they're still going strong. Much better quality of leather on Solovairs, much softer, more durable. After over 25 years of service these still show no signs of wear on the leather. That said, a pair of 10 hole red Asian made Docs I bought about 7 years ago have already got a few small cracks on the sides between the lace-housing and the toecap, also some of the stitching has started to come undone. The leather and
manufacture is far from the quality of the Solovairs and far from the quality of the old English made Docs, of which I've got 2 pairs of black Gibson shoes still going strong.
Has anyone got any photos of the orignal black monkey boots with the grip soles and side stitching? Because the ones Dr. Marten makes now and calls "monkey boots" don't look anything
like the monkey boots I had in the 70s.
Edited by London Rudeboy - 1/30/12 at 3:12ampost #5288 of 208191/30/12 at 7:25ampost #5289 of 208191/30/12 at 7:29am
Oh blimey, I'd forgotten about that, early to mid-80s probably, wasn't it?
Then there was this old Guardian TV advert.
Years later the Met Police used the same psychology, with what looked like 2 cops chasing a black man, until you realise that the black man is a plain clothes cop also chasing the villain.post #5290 of 208191/30/12 at 7:52amQuote:Originally Posted by London Rudeboy
Then there was this old Guardian TV advert.
when I first saw that I couldnt figure out where that came from, and in what context it was shown. wasnt til much later that someone said it was a newspaper advert. still pretty well shot footage, when did it originally air..... had to be late 70s/early 80s? tho it looks older with the black/white film stockpost #5291 of 208191/30/12 at 8:14ampost #5292 of 208191/30/12 at 10:02ampost #5293 of 208191/30/12 at 11:44am
Roughly where on Wardour Street, it's quite a long strasse and it was crawling with pubs, bars, clubs, cafes, and restaurants. Quite a lot of them were gay venues, bearing in mind the proximity to Old Compton Street.
I remember Wong Ki's chinese restaurant & their famously rude staff! Are you thinking perhaps of the Duke of Wellington?post #5294 of 208191/30/12 at 12:04pmQuote:Originally Posted by Choco G
Does anyone remember the pub on Wardour Street that was a meeting place for gay Skinheads in the '70's? They were Chelsea and a right bunch of hard bastards! Me and my mates used to go to the Marquee a lot and were always wary of bumping in to any of them cos they were so volatile.
I use to get in Crackers Wardour St mid 70s, never saw any Gays though, Was their Gay Skinheads around in 75,
Edited by Lasttye - 1/30/12 at 3:11pmpost #5295 of 208191/30/12 at 12:59pm
Quote:Originally Posted by London Rudeboy
Hi Paul, I can thoroughly recommend a book that came out in 2000 & in reprint in 2005t, "A Boy's Story" by Martin King. It's written as an autobiographical novel. King was a skinhead right from day one, as the 60s were closing. He was one of the Chelsea Shed skins in the 70s, eventhough he lived in Mitcham. It's a great read with lots of detail
Cheers for that, will definitely look out for it. I read his 'Hoolifan' book a few years back which was a good read from what I can remember.
- Mod to Suedehead
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 38 seconds ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 5 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 17 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 21 minutes ago
- › 2014-2015 OFFICIAL FOOTY THREAD (+ Brazil 2014) - Football, Soccer,... 30 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 32 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 33 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 34 minutes ago
- › What did you eat last night for dinner? 36 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 36 minutes ago
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery...
- › Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I...
- › The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring...
- › 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
- › Bourbon Season: Three Cocktails For Spring
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan