Deano is wearing Levis the boost are those Dr Martin RAF Simmons limited issue. made from a more expensive leather.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 7:11 am in Classic Menswear
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- STREETWEAR & DENIM: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 8:25am in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Mod to Suedehead - Page 353post #5281 of 244991/30/12 at 12:54ampost #5282 of 244991/30/12 at 12:56ampost #5283 of 244991/30/12 at 1:04ampost #5284 of 244991/30/12 at 1:16amQuote:
Indeed. Note also that in 81-82, most of us in daily uniform were still wearing low DMS boots and puttees, as in the photo I posted. High boots didn't become standard issue until about 83.
Of course jungle boots for Belize, jump boots, and NIPB were available long before that.post #5285 of 244991/30/12 at 1:45ampost #5286 of 244991/30/12 at 2:34ampost #5287 of 244991/30/12 at 2:54am
The quality of boots, then and now, monkey boots, ammo boots, Docs and so on.
Here I am in 2010 on a militia-roadblock exercise for our overseas Joint Response Team, wearing a pair of 11-hole steel-toecap DMS Solovair Highlanders, made in England. I bought these in about 85 as patrol boots, and they're still going strong. Much better quality of leather on Solovairs, much softer, more durable. After over 25 years of service these still show no signs of wear on the leather. That said, a pair of 10 hole red Asian made Docs I bought about 7 years ago have already got a few small cracks on the sides between the lace-housing and the toecap, also some of the stitching has started to come undone. The leather and
manufacture is far from the quality of the Solovairs and far from the quality of the old English made Docs, of which I've got 2 pairs of black Gibson shoes still going strong.
Has anyone got any photos of the orignal black monkey boots with the grip soles and side stitching? Because the ones Dr. Marten makes now and calls "monkey boots" don't look anything
like the monkey boots I had in the 70s.
Edited by London Rudeboy - 1/30/12 at 3:12ampost #5288 of 244991/30/12 at 7:25ampost #5289 of 244991/30/12 at 7:29am
Oh blimey, I'd forgotten about that, early to mid-80s probably, wasn't it?
Then there was this old Guardian TV advert.
Years later the Met Police used the same psychology, with what looked like 2 cops chasing a black man, until you realise that the black man is a plain clothes cop also chasing the villain.post #5290 of 244991/30/12 at 7:52amQuote:Originally Posted by London Rudeboy
Then there was this old Guardian TV advert.
when I first saw that I couldnt figure out where that came from, and in what context it was shown. wasnt til much later that someone said it was a newspaper advert. still pretty well shot footage, when did it originally air..... had to be late 70s/early 80s? tho it looks older with the black/white film stockpost #5291 of 244991/30/12 at 8:14ampost #5292 of 244991/30/12 at 10:02ampost #5293 of 244991/30/12 at 11:44am
Roughly where on Wardour Street, it's quite a long strasse and it was crawling with pubs, bars, clubs, cafes, and restaurants. Quite a lot of them were gay venues, bearing in mind the proximity to Old Compton Street.
I remember Wong Ki's chinese restaurant & their famously rude staff! Are you thinking perhaps of the Duke of Wellington?post #5294 of 244991/30/12 at 12:04pmQuote:Originally Posted by Choco G
Does anyone remember the pub on Wardour Street that was a meeting place for gay Skinheads in the '70's? They were Chelsea and a right bunch of hard bastards! Me and my mates used to go to the Marquee a lot and were always wary of bumping in to any of them cos they were so volatile.
I use to get in Crackers Wardour St mid 70s, never saw any Gays though, Was their Gay Skinheads around in 75,
Edited by Lasttye - 1/30/12 at 3:11pmpost #5295 of 244991/30/12 at 12:59pm
Quote:Originally Posted by London Rudeboy
Hi Paul, I can thoroughly recommend a book that came out in 2000 & in reprint in 2005t, "A Boy's Story" by Martin King. It's written as an autobiographical novel. King was a skinhead right from day one, as the 60s were closing. He was one of the Chelsea Shed skins in the 70s, eventhough he lived in Mitcham. It's a great read with lots of detail
Cheers for that, will definitely look out for it. I read his 'Hoolifan' book a few years back which was a good read from what I can remember.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 5 seconds ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 52 seconds ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 1 minute ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 5 minutes ago
- › Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread 7 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 8 minutes ago
- › Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only 9 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 9 minutes ago
- › The Walking Dead (AMC) 11 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...