or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 334

post #4996 of 18741
Quote:
Originally Posted by amathew View Post


Question: How was traditional skinhead fashion different from ska/rude boy fashion during the late 1960s and 70s?

Not sure if i understand your question...Ska/Rude boy ? Do you mean Blacks lads ?
post #4997 of 18741

With Regards to the Denim Levi Trucker jackets :-

 

I think these days, as well as the vintage years, they 'can' look scruffy. I always have a very Dark blue levi 'slim fit' trucker jacket as a staple part of my wardrobe.

But after 12 months or so, as they wash out they tend to look a bit 1980's bone-head skin.

So  IMO they have to be replaced fairly sharpish, to avoid looking looking a bit 'too' casual.

 

I've never owned a suede or leather variety of Levi trucker, BUT would very much like too. Especially a black leather type.

They crop up on flea bay a lot, but an XL option isn't readily available. With the suede or brown or black leather, i'd imagine you could mix them up much better with different sta-prest/jeans/trousers. Far more versatile than Denim.

 

Any opinions on this Levi leather bomber? I had an identical one to this in 1991 (unbranded tho)  I cherished it wink.gif Considering purchasing this..

$(KGrHqJ,!iQE7DVgGQ28BO-gb8Ph7Q~~60_3.jpg

 

 

 


Edited by soundsnpressure - 1/1/12 at 3:41pm
post #4998 of 18741
Nice Jacket.
Edited by Lasttye - 1/1/12 at 7:43pm
post #4999 of 18741
Alright lads (and lasses), Happy New Year
Had a few suede and leather levis over the years, suedes with and without leather collars.
Still got most of them now.
Not bought one for at least 8 years though so didn't have to pay the crazy prices for them (except me leather one, which cost a fortune).
Never posted a pic on here before so apolagies if it doesn't work.
DSC07556.JPG 142k .JPG file
The originals never had side pockets by the way. The suede's came in a few subtle variations of pocket cut and they both came with and without press-stud cuffs - not sure if this was from different Levi factories or just a cost saving (but I've got them from early and late 60s, with and without.
Wrangler did a nice one in the style of their 2 pocket jacket (like the cord one on the skinhead Moonstomp LP).
Got some of these in suede and leather as well - very nice.
Lee were a lot less common, although I've got a mock suede one. That one that Gramps put up was a one they did a few years ago (along with their re-issue selvedge jeans etc, on the back of the LVC success).
Levi also did a Leather/suede split one in the 60s, with the panels of the jacket in different finishes. Lovely. Bought on in London about 10 years ago, but sadly its getting a little snug these days.
There were tons of 'copies' in the 60s and early 70's by cheaper makes, usually with blank press-studs. Have come across tons of these (usually at reasonable prices) but never bothered once I had the 'real thing' if you know what I mean.

There was a sudden uptake of them on the modern say skinhead scene, so there's plenty around now.

Gramps has got a point on comfort as some of the suede ones were very heavy, so if not worn in (like a new pair of brogues) would feel like you had a wooden jacket on. Couple of mine are like that, but I've got others that are very soft.

Buttons
post #5000 of 18741
That didn't seam to work.263
post #5001 of 18741
That's better!
post #5002 of 18741
Quote:
Originally Posted by loempiavreter View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post

What on earth was my mug-shot doing on that???

It was in a slideshow of skinhead and mod photos.

How weird.
post #5003 of 18741
Buttons - I know it's a lot of buggering about but could you post a few photos of your Harry Fenton shirt please?

Hope this helps, Bunty.
Oddly enough, the shirt originally had 4 darts. 2 have been removed (not by me) to give a bit more room, but one inner and one outer. Very sloppy!
Will probably put these back in before I wear it next.
263
263
Harry Fenton "Snug Fit" as opposed to the "Hug Fit" name that Jaytex adopted.
Saftsbury Avenue W1.
263
263
263
Also note no hanging loop at the top of the narrow pleat (like Jaytex).
But the front placket stitching and cuff are totally diffferent so certainly not from the same pattern.
post #5004 of 18741
To Lasttye - Roy, looking back, do you get the impression that there were a load of people who would wear 'skinhead' gear you and I wouldn't have been seen dead in? I'm thinking for example neither of us had Jaytex or Brutus shirts, but I remember seeing blokes wearing them, and a lot of girls too because they were slim-fitting.

I'm not trying to make out that you and I were some sort of 'Ace Faces' or anything, but more that just because you and I and most of our mates didn't wear something doesn't mean that other blokes didn't. See what I mean?
post #5005 of 18741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post

To Lasttye - Roy, looking back, do you get the impression that there were a load of people who would wear 'skinhead' gear you and I wouldn't have been seen dead in? I'm thinking for example neither of us had Jaytex or Brutus shirts, but I remember seeing blokes wearing them, and a lot of girls too because they were slim-fitting.
I'm not trying to make out that you and I were some sort of 'Ace Faces' or anything, but more that just because you and I and most of our mates didn't wear something doesn't mean that other blokes didn't. See what I mean?

I found you had the smart skinheads who would not wear Brutus/Jaytex, and Loake, Had their Suits/Crombies and trousers made and bought most their clobber out of the Squire.Ivy shop. and as you observed MoM Paul many many skinhead boys and girls would mostly shop down the market getting rip off Crombies Sheepskins etc, these kids just wanted the cloths fast so as to fit in and was not bothered with the quality or even how they looked.

Have to admit i was part of the snobbery elite and their was many of us, all our wages went on cloths, You would go to places like the Royal where you knew everyone was smart and like minded, i had a couple of mates who would even wear American imported suits from Reeds in Regent St, they was more into Booker T and The Drifters, than Reggae and was very into the Ivy look even back then.

The skinhead scene affected the vast majority of Youth in the 60s so you are gonna get some people that are smarter than others, I knew many lads who spent most their money on booze, these lads would not dream of buying a American shirt from the Ivy shop.biggrin.gif
post #5006 of 18741

Nice points Buttons.

 

I have a feeling after reading through some of your previous posts, that theres another good friend on here ;)

 

Its like a challenge, sussing out user names and who they might be :)

 

My green suede Levi found a very good home anyway, I can assure you of that, just wish i was the shape I was at 17 again, :(

 

On the Harry Fenton subject, I had a couple about 10 years back, all were plain if i can recall, and all oxford weave. Think I had a pink one like in Buttons picture, along with a couple of cream, white and a nice Mustard sort of colour. Seem to recall a deep red one too, but this could have been an old Sears number. One think I will say about Harry Fenton Shirts, is that although they are usually tought of as a "mod" shirt, they have a lovely roll to the collar and a nice shape.


Edited by Gramps - 1/2/12 at 7:21am
post #5007 of 18741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post

Nice points Buttons.

I have a feeling after reading through some of your previous posts, that theres another good friend on here wink.gif

Its like a challenge, sussing out user names and who they might be smile.gif

My green suede Levi found a vey good home anyway, I can assure you of that, just wish i was the shape I was at 17 again, frown.gif

On the Harry Fenton subject, I had a couple about 10 years back, alk were plain if i can recall, and all oxford weave. Think I had a pink one like in Buttons picture, along with a couple of cream, white and a nice Mustard sort of colour. Seem to recall a deep red one too, but this could have been an old Sears number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons View Post

Buttons - I know it's a lot of buggering about but could you post a few photos of your Harry Fenton shirt please?
Hope this helps, Bunty.
Oddly enough, the shirt originally had 4 darts. 2 have been removed (not by me) to give a bit more room, but one inner and one outer. Very sloppy!
Will probably put these back in before I wear it next.
263
263
Harry Fenton "Snug Fit" as opposed to the "Hug Fit" name that Jaytex adopted.
Saftsbury Avenue W1.
263
263
263
Also note no hanging loop at the top of the narrow pleat (like Jaytex).
But the front placket stitching and cuff are totally diffferent so certainly not from the same pattern.

Thanks so much for the information Buttons I have not seen a Harry Fenton since the 60s Brill.
post #5008 of 18741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post

I found you had the smart skinheads who would not wear Brutus/Jaytex, and Loake, Had their Suits/Crombies and trousers made and bought most their clobber out of the Squire.Ivy shop. and as you observed MoM Paul many many skinhead boys and girls would mostly shop down the market getting rip off Crombies Sheepskins etc, these kids just wanted the cloths fast so as to fit in and was not bothered with the quality or even how they looked.
Have to admit i was part of the snobbery elite and their was many of us, all our wages went on cloths, You would go to places like the Royal where you knew everyone was smart and like minded, i had a couple of mates who would even wear American imported suits from Reeds in Regent St, they was more into Booker T and The Drifters, than Reggae and was very into the Ivy look even back then.
The skinhead scene affected the vast majority of Youth in the 60s so you are gonna get some people that are smarter than others, I knew many lads who spent most their money on booze, these lads would not dream of buying a American shirt from the Ivy shop.biggrin.gif

I didn't have much money, so I had to buy cheap. But there were just some things I didn't compromise on. Obviously shirts. Secondly I tried to buy stuff cheap, not buy cheap stuff, if you see what I mean. But when it came to shoes out of the Squire shop we all simply had to pay top dollar.
post #5009 of 18741

Happy newyear everybody!smile.gif

post #5010 of 18741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post

I didn't have much money, so I had to buy cheap. But there were just some things I didn't compromise on. Obviously shirts. Secondly I tried to buy stuff cheap, not buy cheap stuff, if you see what I mean. But when it came to shoes out of the Squire shop we all simply had to pay top dollar.

Back in the 60s we all had a job, all lived at home, none of us had a car, we was not interested in scooters, so all our money could go on cloths, you just had to have them, even the younger skinheads still at school got hold of the kit, without the right cloths you was nothing.

In the early 90s Teenagers was wearing top end designer cloths, a Ralph Lauren shirt in 92 was £70 I had two Boys they had to have the kit, I would buy them the cloths and leave myself out as i knew they had to have the right cloths.. then my Daughter got to the age, I remember buying her a pair of Evisu jeans for £ 160. She grew out of them in months.biggrin.gif

Somehow you always manage to get the kit, its that important to a Teenager, smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead