or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 307

post #4591 of 18914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post

The scarfs we wore in the 60s was football scarves, In saying that i had a white silk scarf that a Greaser gave me, he work with me Dad smile.gif, Those silk scarfs that present day Skinheads wear are made by Tootal, Think these type of scarfs are a 80s thing ???.

I have seen M-o-M posted a couple times in this thread that they wore polka dot tootal in navy or black with white dots on his patch. Maybe for those with mod roots?

@ek77
Great footage! Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PxC View Post

One question about the footage. Who, in Christ's name, were "the troggs and thunderbirds"????

228

250

:P
post #4592 of 18914
We wore Silk Scarves(Polka Dots and Paisley) the same as Mods.In fact I still like wearing them now!The only time we wore Football Scarves was to Football-unless we were infiltrateing the Opposition Skins.
post #4593 of 18914
Hi that sid.Hows it going?
post #4594 of 18914

I only ever saw football scarves being worn. Having said that, I remember my cousins sometimes wearing polka dot scarves around '68. They were older (18-21) from south east London and still called themselves Mods then, although they wore the Skinhead uniform of the day. I still have a Paisley Tootal scarf that a cousin gave me in '69. I wouldn't wear it out until '71 and then only if I had a suit on and my Crombie too. I didn't want to be different and stand out. I never saw Boneheads wearing Tootal style scarves in the late '70's or early '80's, only revival Mods, the later "Acid Jazz" type Mods as well as Mod types now who all seem to want to look like Paul bleedin' Weller!

post #4595 of 18914
I must of missed something regarding Silk Polka dot and Paisly Scarfs, never saw em around our way, Football scarfs was worn but not at football , if that makes sense,smile.gif
post #4596 of 18914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post

I must of missed something regarding Silk Polka dot and Paisly Scarfs, never saw em around our way, Football scarfs was worn but not at football , if that makes sense,smile.gif


I'm with you on this one Roy, as I said in my previous post I only ever saw football scarves worn whether at football or not. I don't remember Tootal style scarves being a Skinhead item but as said previous, I did have family that wore Polka Dot scarves very early on but even then it was rare. I went to football with them and the ubiquitous footie scarf would be worn...never a ponsie polka dot or paisley one! biggrin.gif
 

 

post #4597 of 18914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choco G View Post



I'm with you on this one Roy, as I said in my previous post I only ever saw football scarves worn whether at football or not. I don't remember Tootal style scarves being a Skinhead item but as said previous, I did have family that wore Polka Dot scarves very early on but even then it was rare. I went to football with them and the ubiquitous footie scarf would be worn...never a ponsie polka dot or paisley one! biggrin.gif

 

We would wear our football scarfs at football for a while, by 70 we no longer wore them, We thought by not wearing them you could not be identified by the opposition, which was fine at London games, but if you went up North, they knew you was say Chelsea and Londoners by your smart appearance. But we did wear our Scarfs in the Winter around our Streets just for warmth.
Edited by Lasttye - 12/1/11 at 9:29am
post #4598 of 18914
I am not a fan of football scarves, so I will probably try to find "polkadots" in any local shop.

Also something like this from Ben Sherman does not look bad to me: http://media.impericon.com/media/catalog/product/b/e/bensherman_tippedromfordacrylic_cherrybrand_scarf_front_lg.jpg
post #4599 of 18914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Muscle View Post

I am not a fan of football scarves, so I will probably try to find "polkadots" in any local shop.
Also something like this from Ben Sherman does not look bad to me: http://media.impericon.com/media/catalog/product/b/e/bensherman_tippedromfordacrylic_cherrybrand_scarf_front_lg.jpg

Looks good to me mate, nice colour, smile.gif
post #4600 of 18914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choco G View Post

I only ever saw football scarves being worn. Having said that, I remember my cousins sometimes wearing polka dot scarves around '68. They were older (18-21) from south east London and still called themselves Mods then, although they wore the Skinhead uniform of the day. I still have a Paisley Tootal scarf that a cousin gave me in '69. I wouldn't wear it out until '71 and then only if I had a suit on and my Crombie too. I didn't want to be different and stand out. I never saw Boneheads wearing Tootal style scarves in the late '70's or early '80's, only revival Mods, the later "Acid Jazz" type Mods as well as Mod types now who all seem to want to look like Paul bleedin' Weller!

Choco not all late 70s early 80s Skinheads were boneheads.
post #4601 of 18914
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrysgame View Post


Choco not all late 70s early 80s Skinheads were boneheads.


Agreed mate, as at this time me and most of my friends were either Skinheads or Mods. It was a very fine line between them and not always down to the length of hair! But Boneheads were a different breed altogether.
 

 

post #4602 of 18914

I like Tootal scarves. Have quite a few. Only really wear about 3 of  these lately.

I think they are part of the skinhead 'uniform' these days, rightly or wrongly, and you do see a lot about.

 

I've always liked the polka dots, BUT i've always felt they look a little TOO mod. But if they were worn back in the day, then they are the real deal.

I've bought all my scarfs second hand off e-bay along with some 'Duggie' scarfs (an offshoot of Tootal? ?)

Only paid about 10-13 quid each a scarf.

The only thing with buying these pre-owned vintage scarfs is you never know if someone's Grandma has worn it for years as a head scarf confused.gif

 

tootal 018.jpg

post #4603 of 18914

With regards to football scarves. There is a nice web site with most teams colours.

A bit pricey at near 50 quid. But, if the quality is as good as they make out, and you are passionate about yout team. May be worth a look.

Think I may wait till Birmingham city are back in the prem before I purchase a 50 quid blues scarf..

 

http://www.savile-rogue.com/

 

They are cashmere wool. So could suit a  smart skin. Seperates you from all the Nylon market stall tat, you see on the terraces. 

post #4604 of 18914
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsnpressure View Post

Think I may wait till Birmingham city are back in the prem before I purchase a 50 quid blues scarf..

 

 

Won't the price be closer to a couple of grand by then? biggrin.gif

post #4605 of 18914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choco G View Post



Agreed mate, as at this time me and most of my friends were either Skinheads or Mods. It was a very fine line between them and not always down to the length of hair! But Boneheads were a different breed altogether.

 

Agreed. Boneheads are just bald punks as far as im concerned but with mostly right wing leanings..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead