or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 281

post #4201 of 24911

2-tone - something that originated in the midlands popular in in London, never ;)

 

(edit: 2-tone the ska movement, Bad joke)


Edited by soundsnpressure - 10/15/11 at 10:43am
post #4202 of 24911
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsnpressure View Post

2-tone - something that originated in the midlands popular in in London, never wink.gif

 


Two Tone,Irredescent(is the spelling correct M-o-M?) were a mixture of Colours(Blue/Green etc) that came out in the `60s.,I think that is what they Promoted it as."Tonik Mohair" was the Brand Name of Dormeuil.Am I right Roy?.This was way before anything happened in Coventry.Later there was a cheaper Cloth that came out-"Trevira"-that had a "Two Tone"effect.I never got any of this.Horrible stuff.Interestingly though,the Revival Crowd wear this as the "Original Look "..None of my Mates would touch it,in the `60s.
post #4203 of 24911
The word I am looking for is Iridescence-the property of certain surfaces that change colour!smile.gif
post #4204 of 24911
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniecj View Post

The word I am looking for is Iridescence-the property of certain surfaces that change colour!smile.gif

Yes.....and yer right "tonik" was a term used for Dormeuil cloth, but over the years has become a generic term to refer to anything iridescent. 2 colors are cloth are woven together to produce what looks like a single color and that's where the shininess comes from. sometimes this kind of cloth is single sided only, in that the front and back sides are not the same color, in a similar way that denim is different colors front/back. just depends how it's woven. Some sharkskins are very shiny/metallic looking, but there is also sharkskin that is more like early 60s american cloth that has a distinct sheen yet subtle, and not that reflective look that is so popular in today's scene.
post #4205 of 24911

All my tonic/tonik style trousers I own, are really cheap looking. They range in cost from about £30-£60 quid. I'm yet to find a decent pair to be proud of. I suppose sourcing your own cloth and going bespoke is the only option.

I think they look great with a plain polo or plain shirt

 

 

I bought something today i've been after for years (in the fred perry sale £45)

A button polo shirt with v notch and buttons on sleeve, button on back of collar and with full box pleat.

And long 3 button front placket.

These may look hideous and too modern for most. But I think it looks great, and a decent alternative to a plain black John Smedley polo etc.

 

What variations would there have been, if any, on a standard polo shirt back in the early days ? ? ? eh.gif

 

http://www.ragazziclothing.co.uk/brands/fred-perry/fred-perry-m8356-button-down-polo-shirt-black.html

 

(Obviously the 2 white stripes inside the collar are a no-no, I'll try and remove or hide these)

 


Edited by soundsnpressure - 10/15/11 at 11:15am
post #4206 of 24911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasttye View Post

Amazing , This thread is the most detailed account of the Original Skinheads ever written anywhere, A true Social history of the most least understood of all teenage fashion/ cults.

Correct. I have read mostly all known stuff up until now and there has not been anything like this put down in print before. Priceless info about not only the least understood but also the least written about fashion cults.
Mods/punks/teds/casuals/bikers etc have all had a lot of books and varying accounts by originals but not so skinheads. Considering the effect and influence those few years of fashion have had in the last 40 odd years its quite unbelievable that nothing has been written before now (of the original era Im talking about-the various revival eras have been documented fine I think).
Thank feck mom is documenting this offline as (no offence to anyone on here) a lot of originals will not be around for much longer to give first hand knowledge . And not by one persons view, as has been said before, but by various people from diff areas, diff ages etc all of whom are interested enough to be here . Brilliant stuff for anyone interested in youth cults and fashion.
Nice one guys -keep it up.cheers.gif
post #4207 of 24911
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsnpressure View Post

I bought something today i've been after for years (in the fred perry sale £45)

A button polo shirt with v notch and buttons on sleeve, button on back of collar and with full box pleat.

And long 3 button front placket.

These may look hideous and too modern for most. But I think it looks great, and a decent alternative to a plain black John Smedley polo etc.

 

What variations would there have been, if any, on a standard polo shirt back in the early days ? ? ? eh.gif

 

http://www.ragazziclothing.co.uk/brands/fred-perry/fred-perry-m8356-button-down-polo-shirt-black.html

 

(Obviously the 2 white stripes inside the collar are a no-no, I'll try and remove or hide these)

 


I've not seen this particular variation before.

Back in the late 60s I recall a variety of styles over the years. The greatest choice (again this is brownie's point about how things evolved) was in the period from 1965 - 68. In my town there was a shop called Mintz and Davies that sold what we called ( I think) a 'caravelle' which was a Smedley style top often with a contrast colour. I recall owning a bright red one with a grey stripe offset to one side. By 1969 it was pretty much Fred Perry only in my area.
post #4208 of 24911
A few interesting transitions shots from mod to early skinhead/peanuts:
Derek Gardner
600

233
Quote:
1967 already short hair, turn ups on Lee's , I only wore Lee's and Tassle loafers from the Ivy shop,

Gabriel Scicluna
498
'66

279
'68 or '69

What kind of watches did you all wear?
post #4209 of 24911
Interesting Photo of Suit.Never saw any Mods wearing that Style,nor were the Jackets buttoned up like that.There is a Photo of Randy Cozens(on another Site),who was an Original London Mod and He is showing you how the Clothes were worn.I knew him for many years-before he died.R.I.P.
post #4210 of 24911
The top Photo is all wrong.The Style of a Mod Suit would not look like that.The way the buttons are done up reminds me of the 80s.The top or top two buttons would be done up.The Suit looks too short.A photo of Randy Cozens(on another Site),shows how the 60s London Mods wore their Clothes.Nothing like the photo,I am afraid.
post #4211 of 24911
I see my Computer is playing up again-sorry for the double entry.Still mean what I say though.
post #4212 of 24911
At last back online, gonna have a read what i have missed.biggrin.gif
post #4213 of 24911
Quote:
Originally Posted by loempiavreter View Post

A few interesting transitions shots from mod to early skinhead/peanuts:
Derek Gardner


If you go back to the Site,where you saw these Photos.On it,a very clear Film has been made of a Group(around `65/`66)singing one of their songs.It is the St.Louis Union(English Tea).Now look around the Dancers,there is a Mod in a Suit-which enforces what I have written.The Group look very smart in their Striped/Candy Striped Shirts.



Just to bring a bit of light-heartiness into the Thread.I have been watching Black Entertainment Television,on a Sunday.There is a Gospel Style XFactor Show on it .It makes XFactor very ordinary!Anyway,enough of the rambling.There is a Compere on it,who is dressing Skinhead Style.Last Sunday he wore Half-mast Mohair Trousers with Braces hanging down,and black Boots.Later in another Show he wore Rolled up Jeans,Dealer Boots(ok 70s/80s Skinhead),Check Button-down Shirt with a Striped Tie.He wore a Waistcoat instead of a Slipover.As I said,it is a Gospel Show-and totally out of sync. with everybody else is wearing.

Good on yer Mate!!!! smile.gif
post #4214 of 24911

Ha ha. I've just stumbled upon this early pic of a famous Mod icon in somewhat of a transitional period.

 

 

 

311867_10150428289605960_632010959_10130185_810143884_n.jpg

 

Talking of Mods. I've just read  'A sharper world' book edited by palo Hewitt. Had it years but never read it till now.

Comparing all the experiences of the invloved authors of VERY early mods 57-62 ish. Their dress and look was very very skinhead. Short cropped hair/trouser length/shoes etc.

I know they were predominantly into Jazz and R&B early on, before Blue Beat appeared later.

It's like (to me) the look started very skinhead, Basic/clean/sharp, and then became a bit flambouyant and peacocky as the Mod look evolved. By the time skinheads took form it was back to basics, and a lot of the OTT Mod look ejected. It's like the 'look' come full circle, if that makes any sense eh.gif


Edited by soundsnpressure - 10/23/11 at 10:11am
post #4215 of 24911
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsnpressure View Post

Ha ha. I've just stumbled upon this early pic of a famous Mod icon in somewhat of a transitional period.

 

 

 

311867_10150428289605960_632010959_10130185_810143884_n.jpg

 

Talking of Mods. I've just read  'A sharper world' book edited by palo Hewitt. Had it years but never read it till now.

Comparing all the experiences of the invloved authors of VERY early mods 57-62 ish. Their dress and look was very very skinhead. Short cropped hair/trouser length/shoes etc.

I know they were predominantly into Jazz and R&B early on, before Blue Beat appeared later.

It's like (to me) the look started very skinhead, Basic/clean/sharp, and then became a bit flambouyant and peacocky as the Mod look evolved. By the time skinheads took form it was back to basics, and a lot of the OTT Mod look ejected. It's like the 'look' come full circle, if that makes any sense eh.gif


I think if you read "Absolute Beginners" they have the same"Look".It was a rebellion against the "Trad Jazz"Beatniks.Most of the Modern Jazz Artistes wore the Ivy League etc.It is a shame there is no original thinkers in this country today.Even Punk was thought up by somebody.Now the Teenagers get told what to wear (by the High Street).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead