Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 1:34 pm in Classic Menswear
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Isaia SC/Polo/vintage biker jacket/Spiewak/Incotex/To Boot/Polo (C&J) boots - DROPS Last post on 4/10/11 at 5:58pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Recent non-Sartorialist Looks Last post on 2/23/15 at 4:28pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- What I Learned from Slim DenimLast edited: 12/21/14
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Mod to Suedehead - Page 278post #4156 of 1974510/7/11 at 6:32am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #4157 of 1974510/7/11 at 6:56amI remembers Mods boys and girls wearing those long dark red and green leather coats.
Never Saw any skinheads wearing any leather except shoes. As Brideshead said leather for Greasers.
These days I have four leather coats, two Belstaff, one Shcott, and a Nice black leather three button blazerpost #4158 of 1974510/7/11 at 9:27amQuote:Originally Posted by browniecj
That is interesting Brideshead.So none of your Mates wore Leather Bombers or Leather Levi Jackets during the time(around `68?). I used to go to "The Lane" on Sundays and there would be loads of Skins buying Leathers. I can also recall,at the end of the time(poss.`70)when Leather Jackets(Blazer Style) came in-but I think that was more Localised.
No, none. I don't know if they were quite as against them as me but nobody wore any leather clothing. Incidentally my wife who was a London mod (a year or two older than me) did just the same as you a year or two earlier I guess and still loves leather coats often wearing one she had made to order recently. When we were in Rome earlier this year she bought a very nice leather jacket but my own prejudice is still there......post #4159 of 1974510/7/11 at 11:42ampost #4160 of 1974510/7/11 at 12:24pmJust writing this when you said it Jason!
I think there's something very 'skinhead' about a lot of that uniform, or at least the smart casual aspect of it (I think Roy or Brownie has mentioned this before?)
Great post from Brownie on the leather coats and Steptoe! (Did they cut the 'Es a wanker 'arold' when they are walking back from White City? some copies still have that line in itpost #4161 of 1974510/7/11 at 1:25pmpost #4162 of 1974510/7/11 at 2:18pmTalking of coats, any of you old boys ever wear a three quarter length raincoat? I think they look great over a suit for going out.
Leather MA1s were sometimes worn were they not? Also leather and suede western jackets as has been mentioned. Personally id have thought a brown leather would have been more prefferable to black. Black being a Grease colour. Just my thoughts.post #4163 of 1974510/7/11 at 2:28pmpost #4164 of 1974510/7/11 at 2:45pmpost #4165 of 1974510/7/11 at 2:56pmpost #4166 of 1974510/8/11 at 12:20amQuote:Originally Posted by harrysgame
Talking of coats, any of you old boys ever wear a three quarter length raincoat? I think they look great over a suit for going out.
Leather MA1s were sometimes worn were they not? Also leather and suede western jackets as has been mentioned. Personally id have thought a brown leather would have been more prefferable to black. Black being a Grease colour. Just my thoughts.
Brown was the popular colour,but black was worn as well.With the Leather Coats-that would be the time when Mods stopped wearing the Coats(`66).I had a Girlfriend in `68 called Angie who had a Dark Green Leather(Bottle Green was another colour).This was not an old coat either.In `69/`70 my Wife Stella wore a Suede Coat(Dark Brown),so not everybody conformed to the rules.But it was still in Fashion.
As you have seen in Photos(on this Thread) that Leather was worn in `69 by Skinhead/Suedeheads.So because you did not wear it in your Area,it did not mean it was not worn.Do not forget,in Central London, there was no mixing with Greasers.I never saw any until `69 onwards,then I met their more serious Cousins(the Hells Angels).The" Limbo" or the "Roaring Twenties" never attracted them
A Footnote,a Light Tan Suede Levi Jacket (circa `70) is up for Auction.Heavy Bidding,I believe.post #4167 of 1974510/8/11 at 5:34ampost #4168 of 1974510/8/11 at 7:26am
My late Uncle was a skinhead 69-72ish, before he went onto full Glam.
He was always seen in his beloved cricket jumpers, cable knit style with trim to v neck (white)
The old 'cricket jumper' doesn't seem to crop up that often on skinhead related forums/chat.
I know there are regional variations on what was, and wasn't worn.
Were they worn during the original skinhead era, or was my uncle doing his own thing?
I've bought a couple of cricket jumpers over the years (Slazenger) Can't seem to get them to work for me, always seem too long in the body.
Look good under a levi/Lee trucker jacket tho.post #4169 of 1974510/8/11 at 7:43ampost #4170 of 1974510/8/11 at 8:23am
- Mod to Suedehead
Styleforum Top Picks
- What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › The Official Beer Thread 4 seconds ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 8 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 18 seconds ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 52 seconds ago
- › Proposal Stage, 2 weeks!: Viberg for Styleforum preorders Round1 -... 1 minute ago
- › LEMAIRE 2 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Porn Thread 2 minutes ago
- › How do these blazers fit on me? 5 minutes ago
- › Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread 6 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 7 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...
- › Knit Blazers: What Even Are They?
- › Fok’s Pitti Pick: Wear Coat, Get Blogged
- › What it Means to be Made in Italy
- › How to Smell Fabulous in Florence (and Beyond)
- › The Current State of Americana
- › The Styleforum Brief: February 2015
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...