Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 7:27 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- STREETWEAR & DENIM: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 8:25am in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Mod to Suedehead - Page 278post #4156 of 2488510/7/11 at 6:32ampost #4157 of 2488510/7/11 at 6:56amI remembers Mods boys and girls wearing those long dark red and green leather coats.
Never Saw any skinheads wearing any leather except shoes. As Brideshead said leather for Greasers.
These days I have four leather coats, two Belstaff, one Shcott, and a Nice black leather three button blazerpost #4158 of 2488510/7/11 at 9:27amQuote:Originally Posted by browniecj
That is interesting Brideshead.So none of your Mates wore Leather Bombers or Leather Levi Jackets during the time(around `68?). I used to go to "The Lane" on Sundays and there would be loads of Skins buying Leathers. I can also recall,at the end of the time(poss.`70)when Leather Jackets(Blazer Style) came in-but I think that was more Localised.
No, none. I don't know if they were quite as against them as me but nobody wore any leather clothing. Incidentally my wife who was a London mod (a year or two older than me) did just the same as you a year or two earlier I guess and still loves leather coats often wearing one she had made to order recently. When we were in Rome earlier this year she bought a very nice leather jacket but my own prejudice is still there......post #4159 of 2488510/7/11 at 11:42ampost #4160 of 2488510/7/11 at 12:24pmJust writing this when you said it Jason!
I think there's something very 'skinhead' about a lot of that uniform, or at least the smart casual aspect of it (I think Roy or Brownie has mentioned this before?)
Great post from Brownie on the leather coats and Steptoe! (Did they cut the 'Es a wanker 'arold' when they are walking back from White City? some copies still have that line in itpost #4161 of 2488510/7/11 at 1:25pmpost #4162 of 2488510/7/11 at 2:18pmTalking of coats, any of you old boys ever wear a three quarter length raincoat? I think they look great over a suit for going out.
Leather MA1s were sometimes worn were they not? Also leather and suede western jackets as has been mentioned. Personally id have thought a brown leather would have been more prefferable to black. Black being a Grease colour. Just my thoughts.post #4163 of 2488510/7/11 at 2:28pmpost #4164 of 2488510/7/11 at 2:45pmpost #4165 of 2488510/7/11 at 2:56pmpost #4166 of 2488510/8/11 at 12:20amQuote:Originally Posted by harrysgame
Talking of coats, any of you old boys ever wear a three quarter length raincoat? I think they look great over a suit for going out.
Leather MA1s were sometimes worn were they not? Also leather and suede western jackets as has been mentioned. Personally id have thought a brown leather would have been more prefferable to black. Black being a Grease colour. Just my thoughts.
Brown was the popular colour,but black was worn as well.With the Leather Coats-that would be the time when Mods stopped wearing the Coats(`66).I had a Girlfriend in `68 called Angie who had a Dark Green Leather(Bottle Green was another colour).This was not an old coat either.In `69/`70 my Wife Stella wore a Suede Coat(Dark Brown),so not everybody conformed to the rules.But it was still in Fashion.
As you have seen in Photos(on this Thread) that Leather was worn in `69 by Skinhead/Suedeheads.So because you did not wear it in your Area,it did not mean it was not worn.Do not forget,in Central London, there was no mixing with Greasers.I never saw any until `69 onwards,then I met their more serious Cousins(the Hells Angels).The" Limbo" or the "Roaring Twenties" never attracted them
A Footnote,a Light Tan Suede Levi Jacket (circa `70) is up for Auction.Heavy Bidding,I believe.post #4167 of 2488510/8/11 at 5:34ampost #4168 of 2488510/8/11 at 7:26am
My late Uncle was a skinhead 69-72ish, before he went onto full Glam.
He was always seen in his beloved cricket jumpers, cable knit style with trim to v neck (white)
The old 'cricket jumper' doesn't seem to crop up that often on skinhead related forums/chat.
I know there are regional variations on what was, and wasn't worn.
Were they worn during the original skinhead era, or was my uncle doing his own thing?
I've bought a couple of cricket jumpers over the years (Slazenger) Can't seem to get them to work for me, always seem too long in the body.
Look good under a levi/Lee trucker jacket tho.post #4169 of 2488510/8/11 at 7:43ampost #4170 of 2488510/8/11 at 8:23am
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Alden McCoppin Natural CXL Tanker - 8.5D - Modified - Worldwide... 9 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 21 minutes ago
- › Belvest Overcoat 42/40 - Loro Piana 22 minutes ago
- › Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo? 22 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 23 minutes ago
- › new Yoox codes and sales - post them here 25 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 45 minutes ago
- › House of Kydos - Official Affiliate Thread 48 minutes ago
- › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II 53 minutes ago
- › NIKE Thread 53 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...