Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:05 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015Last edited: 5/7/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Mod to Suedehead - Page 278post #4156 of 2157110/7/11 at 6:32am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #4157 of 2157110/7/11 at 6:56amI remembers Mods boys and girls wearing those long dark red and green leather coats.
Never Saw any skinheads wearing any leather except shoes. As Brideshead said leather for Greasers.
These days I have four leather coats, two Belstaff, one Shcott, and a Nice black leather three button blazerpost #4158 of 2157110/7/11 at 9:27amQuote:Originally Posted by browniecj
That is interesting Brideshead.So none of your Mates wore Leather Bombers or Leather Levi Jackets during the time(around `68?). I used to go to "The Lane" on Sundays and there would be loads of Skins buying Leathers. I can also recall,at the end of the time(poss.`70)when Leather Jackets(Blazer Style) came in-but I think that was more Localised.
No, none. I don't know if they were quite as against them as me but nobody wore any leather clothing. Incidentally my wife who was a London mod (a year or two older than me) did just the same as you a year or two earlier I guess and still loves leather coats often wearing one she had made to order recently. When we were in Rome earlier this year she bought a very nice leather jacket but my own prejudice is still there......post #4159 of 2157110/7/11 at 11:42ampost #4160 of 2157110/7/11 at 12:24pmJust writing this when you said it Jason!
I think there's something very 'skinhead' about a lot of that uniform, or at least the smart casual aspect of it (I think Roy or Brownie has mentioned this before?)
Great post from Brownie on the leather coats and Steptoe! (Did they cut the 'Es a wanker 'arold' when they are walking back from White City? some copies still have that line in itpost #4161 of 2157110/7/11 at 1:25pmpost #4162 of 2157110/7/11 at 2:18pmTalking of coats, any of you old boys ever wear a three quarter length raincoat? I think they look great over a suit for going out.
Leather MA1s were sometimes worn were they not? Also leather and suede western jackets as has been mentioned. Personally id have thought a brown leather would have been more prefferable to black. Black being a Grease colour. Just my thoughts.post #4163 of 2157110/7/11 at 2:28pmpost #4164 of 2157110/7/11 at 2:45pmpost #4165 of 2157110/7/11 at 2:56pmpost #4166 of 2157110/8/11 at 12:20amQuote:Originally Posted by harrysgame
Talking of coats, any of you old boys ever wear a three quarter length raincoat? I think they look great over a suit for going out.
Leather MA1s were sometimes worn were they not? Also leather and suede western jackets as has been mentioned. Personally id have thought a brown leather would have been more prefferable to black. Black being a Grease colour. Just my thoughts.
Brown was the popular colour,but black was worn as well.With the Leather Coats-that would be the time when Mods stopped wearing the Coats(`66).I had a Girlfriend in `68 called Angie who had a Dark Green Leather(Bottle Green was another colour).This was not an old coat either.In `69/`70 my Wife Stella wore a Suede Coat(Dark Brown),so not everybody conformed to the rules.But it was still in Fashion.
As you have seen in Photos(on this Thread) that Leather was worn in `69 by Skinhead/Suedeheads.So because you did not wear it in your Area,it did not mean it was not worn.Do not forget,in Central London, there was no mixing with Greasers.I never saw any until `69 onwards,then I met their more serious Cousins(the Hells Angels).The" Limbo" or the "Roaring Twenties" never attracted them
A Footnote,a Light Tan Suede Levi Jacket (circa `70) is up for Auction.Heavy Bidding,I believe.post #4167 of 2157110/8/11 at 5:34ampost #4168 of 2157110/8/11 at 7:26am
My late Uncle was a skinhead 69-72ish, before he went onto full Glam.
He was always seen in his beloved cricket jumpers, cable knit style with trim to v neck (white)
The old 'cricket jumper' doesn't seem to crop up that often on skinhead related forums/chat.
I know there are regional variations on what was, and wasn't worn.
Were they worn during the original skinhead era, or was my uncle doing his own thing?
I've bought a couple of cricket jumpers over the years (Slazenger) Can't seem to get them to work for me, always seem too long in the body.
Look good under a levi/Lee trucker jacket tho.post #4169 of 2157110/8/11 at 7:43ampost #4170 of 2157110/8/11 at 8:23am
- Mod to Suedehead
Styleforum Top Picks
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five Weddings
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 41 seconds ago
- › 2015 MLB Season Thread 1 minute ago
- › Wedding Gift Etiquette 1 minute ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** 2 minutes ago
- › *** Visvim thread: Dissertation on a Japanese Holy Spirit *** 2 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 3 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 6 minutes ago
- › E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE! 7 minutes ago
- › Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata - Part II 8 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...