or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 1622

post #24316 of 24916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bela Kun View Post
 

 

 

It's been said that a lot of brown DMs were around in the late 60s. In fact, one article claims the earliest DM boots were brown.

 

 

These are said to be the original DM boots, in brown (they are not for sale). Original AirWair are much rarer than Hawkins.

 

 

You'll notice the original tags that were re-issued a few years ago on DM MiE vintage collection.

post #24317 of 24916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingy Brim View Post

The evolution of 'yoof' culture: Brutus current 'models' include an aging skinhead complete with tatts - I imagine this would have been unthinkable in 69!

Pretty much so.
post #24318 of 24916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
 

 

These are said to be the original DM boots, in brown (they are not for sale). Original AirWair are much rarer than Hawkins.

 

 

Thanks Clouseau. They look somewhat slimmer than the modern 1460 model, more or less the way Solovair makes them now. Though of course pictures can be deceptive.

post #24319 of 24916

Worn by a mate the other day: American WW2 jump boots.

 

Way back, Lasttye described the 1968-69 uniform of the Kilburn mob as "donkey jackets and jungle greens, cherry red commando boots and heavy cardigans"

 

I wonder if these might be the cherry red commando boots he meant?

 

 

post #24320 of 24916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingy Brim View Post
 

The evolution of 'yoof' culture: Brutus current 'models' include an aging skinhead complete with tatts - I imagine this would have been unthinkable in 69!

 

Shot-11-Front-2.jpg

 

 

 

Think that is one of there oxford shirts, i wouldn't bother buying one if anyone is thinking of getting one cos the collar is too small, jump the gun too a better one in oxford with a bigger collar.

post #24321 of 24916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Jacket View Post
 

 

Think that is one of there oxford shirts, i wouldn't bother buying one if anyone is thinking of getting one cos the collar is too small, jump the gun too a better one in oxford with a bigger collar.


Matter of taste. They look kosher 'Three fingers' collar to me. 

If this guy takes a big breath his trousers will explode !

post #24322 of 24916

they might look it but there not, i bought one some months ago and was disappointed it wasnt, they do however do a plain white 3 finger but its not oxford cloth.

 

i managed to get a 3 finger plain white ben sherman for 2 quid, but it seems to be far too big on the body even though its only a 49 and im a 38, i might try and shrink it with boiling water.

post #24323 of 24916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Jacket View Post

they might look it but there not, i bought one some months ago and was disappointed it wasnt, they do however do a plain white 3 finger but its not oxford cloth.

i managed to get a 3 finger plain white ben sherman for 2 quid, but it seems to be far too big on the body even though its only a 49 and im a 38, i might try and shrink it with boiling water.

I purchased a Brutus on sale a few years ago and the collar was fine but the shirt was so tapered that my love handles made it unwearable. I wonder if they shrunk their collars down to appease the menswear set and broaden their market?
post #24324 of 24916
Quote : Donkey Jacket : they might look it but there not, i bought one some months ago and was disappointed it wasnt, they do however do a plain white 3 finger but its not oxford cloth....



That's interesting. I've got standard Brutus shirts and i like the collar, good size and nice roll. I intended to buy one of their OCBD, but i won't if the collar is smaller...
post #24325 of 24916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post



That's interesting. I've got standard Brutus shirts and i like the collar, good size and nice roll. I intended to buy one of their OCBD, but i won't if the collar is smaller...

 

I think they are regular fit rather than trim fit too, i think they are just a new range for people who want a more modern stylre.

post #24326 of 24916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Jacket View Post

...
i managed to get a 3 finger plain white ben sherman for 2 quid, but it seems to be far too big on the body even though its only a 49 and im a 38, i might try and shrink it with boiling water.

Doubt that will work. Over time Ben Shermans were sometimes cut very billowy at the waist, a more 'American' fit as someone told me, but it is a matter of construction (pleats and darts) so a bit of shrinkage will make no difference.
Edited by covskin - 10/3/16 at 11:00am
post #24327 of 24916
Quote:
Originally Posted by covskin View Post


Doubt that will work. Over time Ben Shermans were sometimes cut very billowy at the waist, a more 'American' fit as someone told me, but it is a matter of construction (lack of pleats and darts) so a bit of shrinkage will make no difference.

 

 

Heh its in the dryer now, another problem is that it has really baggy/wide arms, im not actually sure how old the shirt is, it just has the original tag inside and Ben Sherman sewed on the pocket and no tag.

.

post #24328 of 24916
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryYoungPoor View Post


I purchased a Brutus on sale a few years ago and the collar was fine but the shirt was so tapered that my love handles made it unwearable. I wonder if they shrunk their collars down to appease the menswear set and broaden their market?

 Its a separate range, trimfits with 3 finger collars are still available.

 

And yeah they can be pretty tight, though my fry up/chip shop belly does not help.

post #24329 of 24916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Jacket View Post


Heh its in the dryer now, another problem is that it has really baggy/wide arms, im not actually sure how old the shirt is, it just has the original tag inside and Ben Sherman sewed on the pocket and no tag.
.

I worked for Ben Sherman for about 8 years and they changed the cuts of their shirts every season. Even their "Heritage" collection, which was supposed to stay consistent, would turn up with different collar sizes, different cuts and details. It would drive our customer base crazy haha.
To add to the confusion, Ben Sherman licensed their name to different manufacturing companies in Asia and Australia which would come out with some of the wackiest items (think Robert Graham) and did not fit into "The Look" at all. Tourists from those areas would come into the store and be absolutely confused!
I guess my point is that from 1990 on there is no consistency in any way.
post #24330 of 24916
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryYoungPoor View Post


I worked for Ben Sherman for about 8 years and they changed the cuts of their shirts every season. Even their "Heritage" collection, which was supposed to stay consistent, would turn up with different collar sizes, different cuts and details. It would drive our customer base crazy haha.
To add to the confusion, Ben Sherman licensed their name to different manufacturing companies in Asia and Australia which would come out with some of the wackiest items (think Robert Graham) and did not fit into "The Look" at all. Tourists from those areas would come into the store and be absolutely confused!
I guess my point is that from 1990 on there is no consistency in any way.

 

Here is the shirt in question.

 

 

 

To be honest, at the price i paid for it, im not unhappy at all. And it is nice to have a shirt what is a bit more roomy, even if all the details are not correct.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead